News 2020 Season requests - 11 games at GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

11 home games should be accepted, but we have Easter Monday & country games- we might be away team next year?
Woods or tigers won’t be coming to cattery.
Probably 9

Easter Monday will be our home game next year, alternates each year and this season was Hawthorn's home game. Country Game is strange though, 2016-18 were Essendon home games, then this year was the first time it was ours. I wouldn't be surprised if the Country Game is at Kardinia Park next year actually. Carlton have started coming to KP, don't think Essendon will be too far behind.

We're also due for a home game against Collingwood, which will be at the G, and with Easter Monday, that's our two MCG games. Hopefully the Collingwood game is in a friendly timeslot and we can pump up our Melbourne home games (unlike this year: 3:20 & 1:10 Sunday games)

I guess this is the appropriate thread to post my wishes for our home games (in terms of timeslots and venues), sticking with the realistic view that we'll have two home games in Melbourne

GMHBA Stadium
4 Saturday afternoon, 2 Saturday twilight, 1 Saturday night, 1 Friday night, 1 Sunday 3:20

MCG
1 Saturday night (vs Collingwood), 1 Easter Monday (vs Hawthorn)

I'd do our away games as well but that's not really in our control, the home team would have more say about their wishes. But then again, I'm not sure whether clubs can go to the AFL with a structure like the one above and say 'we would like this' for our home games, it's pretty much all AFL decided I think

Adding this article to the OP for this thread and that way when anyone dares to raise the false idea of Geelong "requesting home games" at the MCG, we have easy access to the following:

And people were saying he should be turfed next year because he chided some rabid fans. Go figure.

We'll get the 9-2 split again between KP and MCG which I'm perfectly fine with. Much better than the 8-3 split between KP and Docklands that we used to always get a decade ago.
Another Melbournian. It's fine, we get our club plays great football and you don't want to travel to Geelong. We should pander to you Melbourne people and make the vast majority of Geelong fans travel to Melbourne.

Adam Simpson - yes thats right the Premiership coach ( and i think he played 300 games as well ) so he has got pretty good credentials - i heard him interviewed earlier this year - start of the year . He said - when Subiaco Oval - the move from their was 1st mooted - he said - re the new venue - lets keep it skinny -he actually used the word skinny i can remember that . He said he wanted to keep that unique home ground advantage . He then laughed and said the best thing to ever happen was getting Optus Oval which has similar dimensions to the MCG - he said they went from a team who had a phobia about the MCG to a team who now plays well at that venue - said it was very beneficial in getting them that flag

So there it is - in black and white - and for Geel keep it at 9-2 . Games at the MCG re preparation are crucial - if the Cats had just got over the Tigers in the PF - they would have had the perfect preparation for the GF - 3 games in a row at the MCG- would have been tuned to the minute
Geelong don't have a phobia of the MCG. Other clubs have a phobia of KP.

Another weird way of looking at giving up home ground advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I propose we play all our home games in melbourne just to p**s off that tosser called Ricketz
Well it wouldn't piss me off. Melbourne is closer to Wagga, but I wouldn't be following Geelong any more if they did. I like the fact that Geelong is not Melbourne, or part of the Melbourne footy coterie.

Living in Wagga, we have vastly more than 100k capacity at our footy grounds. We should be playing all of our home games here, where we have no limit on the number of paddocks we can sell tickets for...

Fair enough. Just i dont see the reason why to have a go at ppl and their opinions.

Like i said in this thread before- it works the other way too. I just wish they dont tack on extra KP games to our Melb membership, should we get more KP games. (but they probably will and that does piss me off)
I query why generally good posters would sacrifice our advantage and ask is it because they live in Melbourne. That has to be relevant, surely.

The jibes about making Geelong people pander to Melbourne people is entirely valid, if a little harsh in delivery (my apologies).

The only other cohorts of pro-mcg Geelong supporters are those who have the mistaken belief that two extra games at the G will harden us up come finals time somehow, or are just trolls who secretly (openly) support Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back