List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
Not sure I could watch Brown's run up every week.

We'd need to approach East Brisbane State School to acquire some of their land.

That would take care of the problem at the Vulture Street end at least.

Resuming a section of Stanley Street at the other end might be a slightly bigger challenge

We'd need to approach East Brisbane State School to acquire some of their land.

That would take care of the problem at the Vulture Street end at least.

Resuming a section of Stanley Street at the other end might be a slightly bigger challenge

Aren't they building a bridge to link with the new CrossRail station? Problem solved.

Definitely Brown from my POV. One year younger, but also a different type of player. Brown can be the focal point of an attack - I'm not sure that's really Gunston's strength. Brown could also help out in the ruck in the forward 50. Wouldn't be unhappy with either of them though.

I'm inclined to agree. I think his attributes fit our need more than Gunston - especially given he has the height to provide a chop out in the ruck. Both are quality players though and could help us chase a flag.

Ben Brown is such an odd one. When you think of the best key forwards in the comp - Jeremy Cameron, Buddy, Lynch, Kennedy, Dixon etc - there is something intimidating about them. They're the sort of players who you know can take a game away from you seemingly by themselves, and who almost nobody can go with when they're at their absolute best. They get fans in stadiums (in normal seasons, at least), generate a heap of media hype, and often account for the majority of season highlights at the end of each year. The well-worn analogy of them being the rockstars of the competition has some truth to it.

Ben Brown doesn't seem to fit that mould in any way. I'd argue that he is close to the least intimidating key forward in the comp, he's never been seen as one of the stars of the game, and compared to what largely feels like a group of high school jocks he seems like one who would be quite a bit lower down the social rung. He's really quite a forgettable player in many ways.

But looking purely at numbers, the idea you could get a key forward who'll be 28 at the start of next season with these kind of figures for as little as has widely been touted is a bit nuts:

63 goals in 2017 - 4th in the Coleman
61 goals in 2018 - 2nd in the Coleman
64 goals in 2019 - 2nd in the Coleman

I admit that I have been a heap more excited by the idea of Joe Daniher and his potential, but even without the injury concerns Joe has only kicked numbers like that once - 65 in 2017. He's never made it to 50 goals in any other season, and will be 27 next year - so only a year younger than Brown.

There can be plenty of arguments about the way they play as key forwards, how they'd fit into our structure, and what trajectory both of them seem to be on. But right now, his value seems oddly low - one first rounder would almost certainly get the deal done. And there is every likelihood that with his injury fixed up and our midfield kicking to him that he returns to numbers like that next year and beyond.

I doubt he would ever be the superstar of the club, but there are others to play that role. Regardless, if we did opt to pursue him, we could be bringing in a future Coleman Medallist with likely a heap of good footy left in him for a remarkably cheap price - both in terms of trade value, and also his salary. Alongside all that, it would be nice to have a key forward with the surname Brown in a Lions jumper. He wouldn't be a sexy pick by any means, but he might be the smart option when it's all weighed up.

I found that post to be a ripper of a read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts PattyK. Agree with everything you said

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If both Brown and Gunston were keen on Brisbane, who would you rather?
Brown. Hipwood will explode next season if he gets the 2nd best defender every week instead of the best. Brown is the sort of player who will command the best KPD. Gunston is good, but he might not do that.

Brown. Hipwood will explode next season if he gets the 2nd best defender every week instead of the best. Brown is the sort of player who will command the best KPD. Gunston is good, but he might not do that.
I actually think we would/will be pleasantly surprised either way. Hipwood’s last four games have been very good IMO.

Hipwood and McStay starting to really show how good they could be, do we really need Ben Brown for the price the Kangaroos would be asking?

Would we be better off going for an A grade midfielder/winger?

If we want a KPF I really think Casboult would fit our needs for a couple of years and he would fit our game style better than Brown IMO, he is a very good contested mark so would be great for bail out kicks down the line and contesting I50, also a serviceable 2nd ruck. Costs nothing pick wise as he's a free agent, less in the salary cap as well.

Hipwood and McStay starting to really show how good they could be, do we really need Ben Brown for the price the Kangaroos would be asking?
We don't know exactly what price they would be asking. One late first round pick for a 60 goal per season forward is a steal. Two gives me a little more pause, but this year's draft is a bit of a crapshoot with how little vision people have of Victorian prospects. So I'd probably do it if we got a late 2nd or early 3rd in return.

Depends whom. Not sure anyone currently out of contract fits the criteria. I think Brown would be more likely than Perryman to send us over the top for a premiership run, to use one winger who's on the market.

If we want a KPF I really think Casboult would fit our needs for a couple of years and he would fit our game style better than Brown IMO, he is a very good contested mark so would be great for bail out kicks down the line and contesting I50, also a serviceable 2nd ruck. Costs nothing pick wise as he's a free agent, less in the salary cap as well.
Didn't think the salary cap was a big concern, we're reported to have plenty of space available. I like Casboult for his contested marking ability, but I'm not sure he's good enough to put us over the top. I want players that will get us to win premierships, not just contend.

What I’m trying to wrap my head around if we get Brown is how different our forays forward could look and how he would fit into that.

At the moment we rarely have a movement forward where our tall leads out straight and takes a mark 25-50 out which is what I associate with Brown.

Instead we have open space with Eric leading sideways, diagonally, circular motions - Charlie the same. Long kicks to packs in the pockets with talls flying and locking it in - building pressure from stoppages and re-entries from opposition rushed kicks out of defence.

Its far from clinical which again I associate with Brown on the end of a lead in his better seasons.

Not suggesting he is a deadset horrible fit and he may well straighten us up the way he plays, but what if we are for the next 3-4 years going to be that long bomb with opportunist crumbers or chaotic over the top into space team?

He might draw the odd free or take 1-2 good marks but our game style might not allow him to use his strengths and he could prove to be as useful as a current McStay / resting O while probably taking decent coin.

I'm with you Jason mp - I don't see why we'd be looking to replace who we've got KPF wise.

We've got other areas of need and other deserving players who'll be looking for a pay increase, so I don't see why you'd bother with someone like Ben Brown, who really did show how soft he was earlier in the year.

Plus, I don't like the number 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with you Jason mp - I don't see why we'd be looking to replace who we've got KPF wise.

We've got other areas of need and other deserving players who'll be looking for a pay increase, so I don't see why you'd bother with someone like Ben Brown, who really did show how soft he was earlier in the year.

Plus, I don't like the number 50.

What areas do you think are more of need? Personally I think KPF stands out perhaps with the ruck as head and shoulders bigger need areas than any other.

Didn't think the salary cap was a big concern, we're reported to have plenty of space available. I like Casboult for his contested marking ability, but I'm not sure he's good enough to put us over the top. I want players that will get us to win premierships, not just contend.
This.

What areas do you think are more of need? Personally I think KPF stands out perhaps with the ruck as head and shoulders bigger need areas than any other.

In terms of FA/trade needs - I see KPF, Ruck and KPD as areas I'd look at recruiting to fill. Not necessarily an A grade Ruck or defender, but depth. All other positions can realistically be filled via draft.

Ruck and a quick half bank flanker and even another quality outside mid. Personally think we're too one paced down back.

Cameron’s asking price must be falling at GWS , looked totally disinterested last game. Not sure what to make of him would he just rock the boat at the lions ? Maybe the word the pies are into him might be true

Cameron’s asking price must be falling at GWS , looked totally disinterested last game. Not sure what to make of him would he just rock the boat at the lions ? Maybe the word the pies are into him might be true

Geelong I think is the most credible destination

Not sure how they could fit him in the cap?

If both Brown and Gunston were keen on Brisbane, who would you rather?

I hope we take Gunston. He'll come more reasonable $ wise and we can ask Hawks to pay some of it. Helps sign up the rest of our promising list. Brown might be too pricey unless North can actually take a portion of his salary off our books for next year or two (if that's even possible).

Last edited:
I hope we take Gunston. He'll come more reasonable $ wise and we can ask Hawks to pay some of it. Helps sign up the rest of our promising list. Brown might be too pricey unless North can actually take a portion of his salary off our books for next year or two (if that's even possible).

Can’t do that when he’s uncontracted is my understanding.

I'm still thinking and expecting Noble and Ambrogio to have a player trade in the works that we haven't thought of yet to complete the blockbuster trade in trifecta. With list sizes and salary cap to be cut there should be a few players looking for or being forced to move.

Charlie Cameron > Lachie Neale > ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back