2020 Wish list

Remove this Banner Ad

- Fix Naitanui
- Manage Kennedy
- Get Tim Kelly or another quality midfielder to ease the burden
- Add some contested side to our game FFS
- More games for Watson, Brander & Cameron of their form warrants it

Agree,I would go after Powell-Pepper for some midfield grunt.
Also think we need a Full Back (not Shoefield) from within or through the draft that plays one on one on the bigger taller Full Forwards that would free up McGovern and Barrass to play further up the ground to do what they do best.

- Would love to see Jetta be the primary playmaker off half back.
Hes so good with ball in hand and creates opportunities so well. Needs the ball more much more. He should be our Saad/Houli.

- Liam Ryan play more midfield. Hes too versatile to be a forward pocket.

- Small Forwards need more consistency. Too often Cripps and Petch are invisible.

- More Cameron next year.
- More Nelson in mid, and less Hutchings.

Why not just use Redden as a defensive mid when we need to and forget playing either of those guys

I like Redden on a wing/outside, he has good running capactiy and is a very good relieving make on the switch plays - I see him as more value than JUST defensive, as in a first 18 squad, maybe in the 10-14 range. I like Jacko Nelson in that he runs harder towards a pack than away from it, could be very good for grunt work and protection for Kelly and Shuey but his field kicking isn't the ultra reliable you want on switch plays, maybe more in the 16-22 range.

JK will be done after 2020 so replacing him will be challenge and it was lucky we got him a premiership medallion before he retired. Gonna miss the champ when he's gone

ruck stocks will be a challenge to replace as nic nat will be 30 soon.

our long accurate kickers in hurn and jetta will be very hard to replace and im not sure who can replace them easily.

so KPP in defense and ruck division will be a challenge to replenish in the next 2 to 3 years

Flag :p

- Secure Tim Kelly
- Focus on tackling and pressure
- Games into young mids and see what their about
- Bailey Williams getting a run

Tim Kelly secured for unders. Riots in Geelong.
Willie Rioli cleared to play from Round 1 due to some bs loophole we exploit. Wins the Rosco in both derbies. Riots in Freo.
Nic Nat plays every game and is named AA ruckman
Ainsworth cracks the top 10 in the best and fairest. This board melts down.
We beat Richmond in the Grand Final after Reiwoldt concedes a free for a studs up marking attempt, Martin is pinged for holding the ball in the middle after attempting to don't argue Yeo, and Shuey earns himself a free for a high tackle in the goal square. Replays show he ducked but the score review system doesn't reverse frees like this. Nic Nat, Gaff and Shep share the Norm Smith.

UP THE ******* COASTERS!!!

Tim Kelly secured for unders. Riots in Geelong.
Willie Rioli cleared to play from Round 1 due to some bs loophole we exploit. Wins the Rosco in both derbies. Riots in Freo.
Nic Nat plays every game and is named AA ruckman
Ainsworth cracks the top 10 in the best and fairest. This board melts down.
We beat Richmond in the Grand Final after Reiwoldt concedes a free for a studs up marking attempt, Martin is pinged for holding the ball in the middle after attempting to don't argue Yeo, and Shuey earns himself a free for a high tackle in the goal square. Replays show he ducked but the score review system doesn't reverse frees like this. Nic Nat, Gaff and Shep share the Norm Smith.

UP THE ******* COASTERS!!!
Ill have 3 please

Would just like the club to drill the players a bit better with reference to the following:

- On Game Day you turn up, every week, it's why you're earning a big salary and it's about being professional. Work your guts out from siren to siren;

- Ferocity, for me the big plus this year was Yeo upping his tackling numbers significantly. Darling barrelling Merrett in the Essendon final after the NN stoush, I want to see more of. Defenders should be afraid of taking a ball in front of our forwards, they should be afraid of getting crunched in tackles when taking the ball in the midfield. When we're pressuring like this, and we do in parts, our forwards feast on loose ball goals. I think Sam Mitchell brought this and it was a big contributor to our 2018 flag;

- Really drill into the young kids, the quality of a club comes from them putting pressure on the seniors and you have a really big opportunity here at the present time to be part of a premiership side and some players go their whole career without getting that opportunity. So why not this summer go away and have to weeks off but then come back to club while everyone else is off and make yourself fitter, stronger, faster so you're competing for spots. If I were to see someone like Ainsworth coming back to preseason still no heavier than a wet towel it makes me question this a little.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if there will be opportunity for Barrass to get some mentoring from the soon to return Darren Glass.
Can’t hurt to learn from a master.

I can remember in Glass’s early days thinking he’ll never make it.
Amazing what some physical development and experience can achieve.

4 quarter effort every game.

Ruthlessness., some serious flat tracking when the opportunity presents.

JK to roll back the clock.

NN to play every game.

No long term injuries.

Our midfield to gel and smash the contests and clearances.

Game time into Brander, Williams, Watson, Rotham and MAllen.

Venners to realise his potential and become a legit midfield rotation option.

Return out the Willy.

Achieve mist of these and the flag will look after itself.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Kelly Yeo Shuey Gaff and NN to play together at least 15 games. Im very excited to see that group develop some chemistry and destroy a few oppo midfield coaches's careers.

Brander, Rotham and Cameron to all play 6+ games.

Beat Sydney at SCG, Richmond at MCG or Geelong at GMOMFG.

Venners to play more than 15 games and average more than 15 disposals

honestly, i'd like to see more players backing themselves to boot a 30-50m goal, or goals on the run, maybe the coaching instructs them not to? remember hurns shots on goals, that stopped a long time ago.
also like to see a trimmed down NN who stays on the park all season.
would like to see redden and gaff take the game on more/kick more goals.
would like to see TB+Gov add more to their game outside of intercept+spoil.
would like less of the nice guys of Friends, Family+Flags and a bit more of Mongrel, Mongrel and Flags?

Last edited:
honestly, i'd like to see more players backing themselves to boot a 30-50m goal, or goals on the run, maybe the coaching instructs them not to? remember hurns shots on goals, that stopped a long time ago.
Was awesome to watch back in the day :thumbsu:

This is a very 2006 flag team strategy, I think it was due to the perceived strength and flexibility across half forward, the likes of Judd, Embley, Staker (who was very flexible in game day roles that year) and Cousins all kicked 20+. The problem comes down to having clear space at 35-55m out these days, that is the domain of the interceptors.

It was also part of the game plan, kick long to half forward (Staker, Lynch, Hansen, Rowan Jones), force a stoppage and then let our on-ball division (Judd/Cousins/Kerr/Stenglein/Cox) win 60:40 consistently, from there we can lock the ball in or get a scrappy inside 50. We were by far the best contested ball team that year (statistically) and over the course of the season it proved effective. Whoosh was also dogmatic in the strategy, playing the percentages, Lynch got his 2+ per game, occasionally when we needed to push numbers back Hunter could go forward and we created space.

Staker and Hansen were structure players, Lynch could bomb from 60+ and a huge amount of players could kick at 65% on the run. I don't have the stats but I would say we were a much higher inside 50 team that year than 2018 but probably a lower accuracy. I would guess that from set shots we had as many go through from within 15m as we did from outside 50, the rest of that space was for chaos ball.

Was listening to Hackdorn on 6pr Saturday morning and he mentioned a few things. ( This is Hackdorn so could be 50/50)

He mentioned how a core group of the young players ( Venables, O Allen, Waterman, Pet, Brander & ainsworth ) were go to spend less time enjoying themselves over break and concentrate on their fitness program as they know a few spots are up for grabs next year.

Was listening to Hackdorn on 6pr Saturday morning and he mentioned a few things. ( This is Hackdorn so could be 50/50)

He mentioned how a core group of the young players ( Venables, O Allen, Waterman, Pet, Brander & ainsworth ) were go to spend less time enjoying themselves over break and concentrate on their fitness program as they know a few spots are up for grabs next year.
Sounds like something that would be told to young players every year tbh

Anus, stay off the swimming and **** this summer, we want you to work on your fitness. And by ‘fitness’ we mean kicking practice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back