Preview 2021 AFL National Draft | NM - #1, #20, #42, #47,#72, #77, #95

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't seen as much junior footy this year as I would've liked but nonetheless this would be my top 30. Basing a lot of the interstate kids on 2nd hand info and from Phantoms/analysis around these parts.

1. Jason Horne
2. Nick Daicos
3. Josh Gibcus
4. Finn Callaghan
5. Sam Darcy
6. Josh Rachele
7. Matt Roberts
8. Tyler Sonsie
9. Jye Amiss
10. Mac Andrew
11. Ben Hobbs
12. Matt Johnson
13. Josh Goater
14. Neil Erasmus
15. Josh Sinn
16. Darcy Willmot
17. Campbell Chesser
18. Arlo Draper
19. Jack Williams
20. Josh Ward
21. Toby Conway
22. Josh Fahey
23. Sam Banks
24. Jacob Van Rooyen
25. Zac Taylor
26. Sam Butler
27. Josh Browne
28. Youseph Dib
29. Rhett Bazzo
30. Ned Long

Jacob van Rooyen was one key forward that was being talked up earlier in the year (and maybe last year as well from memory). Anyone know how he's going?

Not real crash hot. Has played a couple of league games in recent weeks but has failed to have an impact with 2 & 4 possessions in the two games.

Shifted to CHB in the WAFL under 19's match a couple of weeks back because Williams & Amiss were performing better as key forwards.

Still think there is shitloads of talent to work with. With his attributes I really see him developing more as a CHB rather than a CHF.

Hahaha I know Knightmare's a bit of an easy target, but I saw this and couldn't not post it. Souup as someone who's big on Gibcus, I suspect you'll enjoy this:

Yikes! People have Gibcus inside their top-10s! That's an indictment on this draft class if ever I've heard one. I hope those aren't newly updated draft boards!

I wouldn't spend a top-30 pick to secure him as things stand, there are a good number of players who have passed him by and every week it feels like I'm moving him further down my draft board as others emerge.

I liked the early season signs of Gibcus when he was really flying for intercept marks and taking a good number, he was deservedly at that point on my draft board, but since the opening rounds I haven't been enthused or felt like I'm watching a future AFL calibre key defender. The glimpses he has shown when pushed forward firstly have been horrible and he doesn't have key forward talent, but in defence even he hasn't done a lot lately. Watching him again on the weekend, and it would be roughly my 6th viewing so far this year, it's another of a number of recent games he hasn't had a meaningful influence. He doesn't generate any offence, isn't intercepting nearly enough. I'm deciding whether he has the scope even to be a best-22 player.

As for his strengths. He can leap and is an able intercept mark when he allows himself to play looser, so that's the foundation he has to build off of, but it's something he has to do at a much higher frequency to have me re-join his fan club and advocate him getting drafted if he's to continue to be spoken about as a first rounder.
Gibcus at the very start of the year had a few games where he was dangerous as an intercept marking presence but seems to have since shifting into a more lock-down focused role when used in defence which hasn't suited him as well.

If you have him around 20, that's fair enough. It's been a few months now where I haven't been able to fit Gibcus into my top-20 even. There are others who have passed him by and look like higher probability AFL footballers.

With key position players I look for as optimal of a combination of production, rate of improvement and attributes as possible. Gibcus doesn't rate all that high in any of those categories.

In terms of traits, he can read it and take a grab, and has the athletic capabilities to stick to an opponent, but I'm waiting to see any kind of rate of progression, a higher frequency of impact, heightened production and intercepting given that's his primary value.

Overall, I'm not sold on Gibcus. He still has some selling to do.

Opportunity for others if Gibcus goes that early. You're correct in saying Gibcus is viewed as a first round prospect, but news to me if he's being seen by any as in that top-5 or close range. I certainly won't be at his current standard of play be placing him anywhere near that high on my board.

Haha and then I got a laugh out of this. Imagine having this little self-awareness and this high an opinion of yourself. Of course it's the clubs who are wrong and not him. It's the same energy as Facebook experts who think they know better than professional epidemiologists.

Always back yourself. Clubs don't always make the right calls.

You've got me outperforming clubs on average over the years with key position selections over my years covering the draft.

There is so much knowledge whether it's through the draft or in the list management space they're yet to absorb or learn and when you go through the history of it all - all the drafts, all the trade periods, it becomes obvious with time where those deficiencies are. There is far too much group think within the industry and there are opportunities for those who think a bit differently to find talent clubs overlook or don't rate as accurately as they could. Those who do and think what everyone else does will be doomed to have the results everyone else gets.

On Reid last year though, I think he's going to come good having seen his debut performance this year, though obviously a very limited sample size. He's one as with Cox though not to the same degree I've become much more optimistic on having seen this year, though it's so hard with those Victorian's last year to rate them as, particularly with the talls as there is no year of data to assess their rate of development to have any idea whether in the long run they'll be good or not. I know in assessing my performance with KPPs, they're the cases I find hardest where there isn't the draft year data to know how they're progressing. Mitch Georgiades is another where he didn't play in his draft year, so credit to Port Adelaide taking him that early, but I would have gone safer and with someone I'd at least seen that year to know had taken that next step and was still progressing.

Hahaha I know Knightmare's a bit of an easy target, but I saw this and couldn't not post it. Souup as someone who's big on Gibcus, I suspect you'll enjoy this:

Haha and then I got a laugh out of this. Imagine having this little self-awareness and this high an opinion of yourself. Of course it's the clubs who are wrong and not him. It's the same energy as Facebook experts who think they know better than professional epidemiologists.
draft likes and dislikes.jpg

From a mature age perspective I think ex Geelong listed player Blake Schlensog would definitely be worth a look later on in the draft, especially if we don’t take a KP with one of our earlier picks. Was nearly picked up in the mid season by a number of clubs (including us) but I don’t think anyone took the punt because he wanted a multi year deal.

He had been really solid playing a key position defender but in recent weeks has shifted forward and had an impact. Over the last four weeks he had kicked 12 goals (including a bag of 5 & 4) but more impressively he has averaged 16 disposals per game and 8 marks. Pretty good for a 20 y.o 199cm 99kg footballer.

Supposedly he was blindsided by his delisting from the Cats last year and he is desperate to be an AFL footballer. That drive has taken his training and form to another level.

Haven't seen as much junior footy this year as I would've liked but nonetheless this would be my top 30. Basing a lot of the interstate kids on 2nd hand info and from Phantoms/analysis around these parts.

1. Jason Horne
2. Nick Daicos
3. Josh Gibcus
4. Finn Callaghan
5. Sam Darcy
6. Josh Rachele
7. Matt Roberts
8. Tyler Sonsie
9. Jye Amiss
10. Mac Andrew
11. Ben Hobbs
12. Matt Johnson
13. Josh Goater
14. Neil Erasmus
15. Josh Sinn
16. Darcy Willmot
17. Campbell Chesser
18. Arlo Draper
19. Jack Williams
20. Josh Ward
21. Toby Conway
22. Josh Fahey
23. Sam Banks
24. Jacob Van Rooyen
25. Zac Taylor
26. Sam Butler
27. Josh Browne
28. Youseph Dib
29. Rhett Bazzo
30. Ned Long
Interesting reading KM thoughts on Gibcusa few minutes ago.

Uwland is legit. I don't care much for players that are not in the open draft so I don't bother going into any detail on them but GC have one with him.

If you're looking at stats alone, Gibcus has not had a top 10 season, but talent identification is about so much more than stats. Anyone can put in a half-assed effort into looking at stats and tell you who the best players in a draft are.

If we want to look at stats, Gibcus is averaging 3.2 contested marks and 7.6 intercept possessions a game in a mostly inconsistent year - if he averaged this at AFL level he'd be equal 6th for intercept marks and equal 13th for intercept possessions. Remember, this is in an average year - if I had to give his year a score out of 10 it'd be a 6 or 7 as it's been mostly a glimpses sort of year for him. His kicking is excellent for a key defender - no idea what this suggestion that he 'doesn't generate any offense' is, he has a great boot on him and I've seen him open up the field by taking and making risky kicks out of defense quite regularly. His athletic profile while very good, also has a fair bit of room for improvement.

Anyway the two positions I tend to rate more highly than others are key defenders and ruckmen. This will often be reflected in the way I rank players. I said early on last year that Nik Cox was a top 5 prospect and I went early on Mac Andrew this year, also calling him a top 5 prospect. I'm a big believer in the importance of both of these positions and the impact they have at AFL level so that'll lead to me placing some guys who play in these positions who I like higher than others.

An example of this is if you asked me who I'd rather have at AFL level, Weitering or Josh Kelly/Jack Steele/Macrae, I'd take Weitering without thinking twice.

I'm not going to comment much on Knightmare. He has an over-inflated sense of self-importance and is one of the most blatant examples of a narcissist you'll find. He's proven over and over again to know s**t all about AFL players and even less about draftees. It's embarrassing to see him looked at as a reliable source of draft knowledge and his posts offer very little outside of comedic value.

If you want regular quality draft content then read eDPS and PMBangers.

Last edited:
Uwland is legit. I don't care much for players that are not in the open draft so I don't bother going into any detail on them but GC have one with him.
If it won't get you in trouble could you elaborate? I think he's got a great leap and can kick the leather off it, looks ok in defense from what I've seen (his two NAB League games) but not screaming out, say, top 40 quality. Any particular traits you're rating?

If you want regular quality draft content then read eDPS and PMBangers.

Ed for sure but Bangers has a big head already.

If it won't get you in trouble could you elaborate? I think he's got a great leap and can kick the leather off it, looks ok in defense from what I've seen (his two NAB League games) but not screaming out, say, top 40 quality. Any particular traits you're rating?

Strong core, wins it on the inside and outside, kicking depth (very good at placing his kicks into space for a teammate to get onto as well as low penetrating kicks, can kick 50+), great mark overhead, makes really good decisions.

Biggest weaknesses is he can be a bit fumbly below the knees and is prone to being lazy by hand.

In many ways I see him as Jason Horne lite.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys just a thought, do you reckon we try to trade pick 1 to Adelaide for 9 top 10 picks should we finish last

I think they'd need to sweeten the pot by throwing in a player. 9 top 10 picks plus their best player under 25.
Yeah I mean Horne is the next coming of the big guy

So he's a blend of Selwood and Heeney. Does that make him a Selweeney?

Bad joke aside I think Heeney would be a perfect compliment to our list.

Horace you better have your medicine before watching this, mate.

But I reckon this is the bloke he reminds me of a bit… certainly against his own age.

Jacob van Rooyen was one key forward that was being talked up earlier in the year (and maybe last year as well from memory). Anyone know how he's going?

I’m only going from what I’ve read but Amiss is the forward which would suit us.

Surely with so many very good prospects in this Draft, the AFL will find a way to give another 4 or 5 picks in the top 10 to the GC, so as to ruin the careers of most of them? Won't they?

I honestly wouldn't joke about this kind of thing. It won't be funny when it happens.

Posted this also in List Management, 14min 20sec in

I really wish Kane Cornes had stuck with the fire brigade, he'd be much better with water spouting out of a hose, or in breathing apparatus, than he is as football judge. This crusade against Will Phillips as a "tiny" midfielder (direct quote) is simply laughable - can someone tell him that at 180cm, Phillips is taller than Lachie Neale (177), boy wonder Matt Rowell (178) and Dion Prestia (175) - to name a few?

Horace you better have your medicine before watching this, mate.

But I reckon this is the bloke he reminds me of a bit… certainly against his own age.

I’m only going from what I’ve read but Amiss is the forward which would suit us.

Ah yes. That's the best medicine of the lot. What a footballer the Tank was. Never afraid to take anyone on and nearly always got the job done.

And how marvellous was that footage and the commentary? Runs rings around some of the commentators today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back