Mega Thread 2021 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, scuse the intrusion. Thought you might like to have this resource on your board (mods might like to sticky):

Friday 26 November at 10.00am – AFL Club List Lodgement (3)

Friday 26 November at 12.00-12:30pm – Pre-Selected Rookies; NSW and Queensland Eligible Pre-Selected Rookie Player Nominations Lodged; Father-Son
Pre-Selected Rookie Player Nominations Lodged; Academy Pre-Selected Rookie Player Nominations Lodged; NGA Pre-Selected Rookie Player Nominations Lodged
Note: These nominations remain confidential until announced between NAB AFL Pre-Season/Rookie Draft

Friday 26 November at 3.00pm – NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting

Friday 26 November at 3.15pm – Notification of Pre-Selected Rookies Nominated on Friday 26 November by 12.30pm if not selected in the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft

Friday 26 November at 3.20pm – NAB AFL Rookie Draft Selection Meeting

Monday 29 November by 4.00pm – Final AFL Club List Lodgement

Dark24

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Th Sandringham thing is interesting. I think we now have 5 on our list. Its interesting because we used to, i think, deliberately shy away from the Vic metro mummies boys. Sandringham, is a pretty salubrious part of Malbun, the kids from there are naturally private school boys as opposed to scholarship winning ones, Parents have a holiday house down at Sorrento, Dads a member at Kingston Heath type of place.
These are the types we would have given a wide berth even 5 years ago.

Its a real change in mindset, shows we have a pretty good culture and regained confidence at Port. The way Sinn waxed lyrical about the club did have a tinge of over zealous pre prepared propaganda about it, but he did seem genuine.

Yes we've always had great retention, but it was always more targeted. I still think its targeted (4 from Sandi in the last 3 drafts seems targeted), but maybe the Vic metro Mummies Boy thing is not as big an issue as it used to be.
Great points. It seems like the perception of Port Adelaide has changed externally since the move to Adelaide Oval, and even moreso in the last few years with the addition of our young guns getting plenty of media attention, and the rise up the ladder. Port Adelaide is currently seen as relevant and a "cool" club to get drafted to. Add the absolute s**t-show that has been living in Victoria for the last 18 months, and the prospect of moving to Port Adelaide suddenly becomes fairly attractive. Definitely an air of rehearsed about his answers, especially pre draft. He's a smart kid, he knew he was likely heading to Port and decided to embrace it.

P4Life

All Australian
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was told the dude who writes the ESPN Draft stories is Knightmare.
Does anyone know if this is true. Chris Doerre is his name.

Yes it's him

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
not so much a rating of the players taken, rather a reaction to our trade and draft strategy

That's how our assessment appears to be graded but it is meant to be about the players taken. Every year, ESPN seems to be underwhelmed by our draft. But this year, given the hand we had, we did ok. I'm not expecting him to kiss our balls but even he rated Sinn and Jackson highly as individual players.

ESPN's AFL Draft expert Chris Doerre has run his eye over every club's draft haul and graded their performance with some club's setting themselves up well for the future, while other clubs missed the mark. See how your club fared at the 2021 AFL Draft.

MrMeaner

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Friday 26 November at 10.00am – AFL Club List Lodgement (3)

Friday 26 November at 12.00-12:30pm – Pre-Selected Rookies; NSW and Queensland Eligible Pre-Selected Rookie Player Nominations Lodged; Father-Son
Pre-Selected Rookie Player Nominations Lodged; Academy Pre-Selected Rookie Player Nominations Lodged; NGA Pre-Selected Rookie Player Nominations Lodged
Note: These nominations remain confidential until announced between NAB AFL Pre-Season/Rookie Draft

Friday 26 November at 3.00pm – NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting

Friday 26 November at 3.15pm – Notification of Pre-Selected Rookies Nominated on Friday 26 November by 12.30pm if not selected in the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft

Friday 26 November at 3.20pm – NAB AFL Rookie Draft Selection Meeting

Monday 29 November by 4.00pm – Final AFL Club List Lodgement

This seems to be a bit micromanaged. I almost expect to see a time allocated for each club to use the urinal.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's how our assessment appears to be graded but it is meant to be about the players taken. Every year, ESPN seems to be underwhelmed by our draft. But this year, given the hand we had, we did ok. I'm not expecting him to kiss our balls but even he rated Sinn and Jackson highly as individual players.

ESPN's AFL Draft expert Chris Doerre has run his eye over every club's draft haul and graded their performance with some club's setting themselves up well for the future, while other clubs missed the mark. See how your club fared at the 2021 AFL Draft.
Well he is a Collingwood fan.

I think it's a fair call to say that we overpaid for Sinn (which is different to saying that Sinn isn't worth it).

Also Kinghtmare didn't have Sinn in his top 20 for his power ratings so he just doesn't rate him that highly.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That rating is a bit weird considering if you line up rachele Soligo and Taylor next to sinn Jackson visentini and Burgoyne which group would you take? There’s really nothing between the two groups.

But the teams were on opposite sides of the ladder.

Losing our 2022 second, and the Ladhams trade were far from ideal, but we’ve done as well with the picks we had as we could have I think.

That’s meant to be a review of our draft, not our off-season.

Well he is a Collingwood fan.

I think it's a fair call to say that we overpaid for Sinn (which is different to saying that Sinn isn't worth it).

Also Kinghtmare didn't have Sinn in his top 20 for his power ratings so he just doesn't rate him that highly.

His later power rankings tend to reflect rumours he has heard about drafting position. Mid-year he had Sinn just outside his top 10 and a projected draft range of 5-20. And he had Hugh Jackson at 17.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza

Revan11

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
ESPN rated Adelaide's draft an A and ours a D+.

I'm not a draft expert, but I don't see the gulf between the two hauls. We seemed to get marked down for trading up to pick 10.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/32715002/afl-draft-2021-every-club-draft-haul-rated
Knightmare is not a fan of Port and it’s telling.

He had Hugh Jackson at 17 in his power rankings and we got him at 55 and he still gave us a D.

Add to the fact numerous clubs were clamouring to have a shot at Sinn.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
to be honest most clubs had ‘meh’ drafts, including ours. Richmond and Freo were really good. Collingwood also got lucky and worked it very well.

Outside of that, everyone else just seemed to tick the boxes and do as expected.

That being said across the draft and trade period port has added KPP depth in Skinner and Finlayson, a developing ruck (REH must think he is dreaming), some outside run and class in Burgoyne and Jackson and much needed speed and midfield depth in Sinn. Future looked after (Sinn) and the now covered too(skinner and Finlason). We’ve lost Ladhams and a few past it or not going to make it players.
From what we had available to us, we’ve done the best we could. It’s not Richmond’s draft, which we didn’t have the picks for and we didn’t get lucky like Collingwood, but we did well and optimised what we had.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
ESPN rated Adelaide's draft an A and ours a D+.

I'm not a draft expert, but I don't see the gulf between the two hauls. We seemed to get marked down for trading up to pick 10.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/32715002/afl-draft-2021-every-club-draft-haul-rated

If you finish 18th then 15th in consecutive years and have a revolving door of good players wanting to leave your club then you set yourself up nicely for the lottery that is the National Draft.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
His later power rankings tend to reflect rumours he has heard about drafting position. Mid-year he had Sinn just outside his top 10 and a projected draft range of 5-20. And he had Hugh Jackson at 17.

Those are his phantom drafts (more based on where he thinks they will go) rather than his power ratings (based on where he values them).

He also tends to put a high value on contested possessions which might have gone against Sinn.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
to be honest most clubs had ‘meh’ drafts, including ours. Richmond and Freo were really good. Collingwood also got lucky and worked it very well.

Outside of that, everyone else just seemed to tick the boxes and do as expected.

That being said across the draft and trade period port has added KPP depth in Skinner and Finlayson, a developing ruck (REH must think he is dreaming), some outside run and class in Burgoyne and Jackson and much needed speed and midfield depth in Sinn. Future looked after (Sinn) and the now covered too(skinner and Finlason). We’ve lost Ladhams and a few past it or not going to make it players.
From what we had available to us, we’ve done the best we could. It’s not Richmond’s draft, which we didn’t have the picks for and we didn’t get lucky like Collingwood, but we did well and optimised what we had.

Good post, I do not think we have lost anyone we cannot replace and given our trading for F&S and Academy players in recent years and our high ladder finish we were never going to be big players in this year's Draft.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Hey all, what time do I tune in for our selections today?

FOXTEL will probably replay last night's riveting procedings if you are interested. Unless of course they have scheduled more of that Bombers - Tales of a Great Club, crap. I still have not caught the Stephen Dank, James Hird, Bomber Thompson episode.

Re Sandringham's production line, somethings have changed the last 10-20 years and maybe its recruiters looking to kids with a strong private school football program to complement their TAC Cup / NAB League club stuff.

But there are a lot of private schools in Victoria and a few in SA and WA who are finding 15 year olds who are bloody good footballers and offering them sports scholarships for years 11 and 12 to pump up their football program and the marketing opportunities that come from it.

In the thread linked below that Ford cut away from stuff I posted in another thread, I posted the stats from Inside Football's 2011 draft special edition and it had stats on how many players each feeder club had drafted and how many games they played in different categories ie 0, 50, 100, 50, 200+ games for all 3 drafts between November 2000 and December 2010. In those 11 draft years ie inc PSD and rookie drafts the following clubs supplied the most number of players.

Calder 67
Geelong 58
Murray 55
Oakleigh 49
Sandringham 48
Dandenong 47
Eastern 44
Gippsland 40
North Ballarat 40

Others - most in each state / region
Claremont 40
West Adelaide 31
VFL clubs 74
AFLQ 71
NSW/ACT 40

Calder Cannons had won flags in 2001-03-04-07-09-10 and were runners up in 2002-06. So its no surprise that during those 11 years they had the most players recruited from any one club in the country. Murray Bushrangers and Eastern Ranges were next most successful with 1 flag and 2 GF loses each.

Since then, remembering 2020 and 2021 were cancelled by Covid, the following have been the dominate teams;
Oakleigh won flags 2012-14-15-19 runners up 2011-18
Sandringham won flags 2011-16 runners up 2017
Eastern Ranges won 2013 runners up 2015-19

If draftguru's site is correct since and including the 2011 drafts to last night's national draft they have had;
57 players taken in national draft ( draftguru didn't have pick 61 from last mick Luke Cleary in his list, I have)
1 in Pre season draft
14 in the rookie draft
2 in the mid season draft
-----

So Sandringham in the last 11 draft years is a bit better than Calder did in their 11 draft years above, with today's rookie draft to come, but nowhere near the premiership and GF level that Calder achieved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back