No Oppo Supporters 2021 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes... that Richardson bit. Not that I don't think Coffield could be as good as Naughton, but it sounds like the coach got waaaay too involved on that one.

As for that last part, it doesn't surprise me in the least. Listening to Jaidyn Stephenson speak about his departure from Collingwood, it sounds like clubs are getting worse at treating trade prospects as emotionless commodities. Very poor form and I'd hope we are above that.
I think the Aliir/Hickey trade demonstrated we still know how to behave properly. Both appear happy in their new homes. No sign of any displeasure at the process. Aliir still chatting with Swans players after the Port game and Hickey with Eagles after that game. So that suggests three clubs who are better than that.

Hawks really stuffed up this time. Surprising they're usually well run.
Lost a lot of quality staff over the last 5 years and Kennett's ego is bigger than the club (I suspect Sam Mitchell's is too). Hopefully this sets them back for many years to come.

fits the bill for Collingwood but I get the impression he's going to take time away from coaching for a year before moving to another club

With the two biggest and richest clubs looking for a coach? He won't take a year off. I'd almost be prepared to bet Carlton have asked him the question and that is what has precipitated this.

With the two biggest and richest clubs looking for a coach? He won't take a year off. I'd almost be prepared to bet Carlton have asked him the question and that is what has precipitated this.
Very, very likely. Carlton's list probably closer than the Pies. He could pick and choose his assistants. Get pretty much a free hand. Much less white noise than at the Pies. His name could attract a couple of decent key position players. Makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This seems like a good time to put into words how pleased I've been with our off field activities recently. I know that Harley has had his critics, but at this point his record stacks up imo:
Addressed our poor injury record of recent years by bringing in old mate from Richmond.
Refreshed the assistant coaches to great effect.
Moving towards introducing an AFLW team.
Navigated Covid so far.

If we can also get the development of a Bloods centre at Royal Hall of Industries back up and running sooner rather than later I'd call it an A+

I think the fact that Carlton, North and Adelaide are 2, 3, and 4 on that list should indicate that free kicks don't mean much when it comes to winning games.

They mean a lot when it comes to frees against. Not so much frees for. Frees against cause players to second guess themselves in contests. And that's where the Dogs have their advantage. They get comparatively very few frees against.

Sure he can take a year off. To be honest after all that time in a high stress environment it would no doubt benefit him and his family greatly if he had a year off.

Sure he can take a year off. To be honest after all that time in a high stress environment it would no doubt benefit him and his family greatly if he had a year off.

Oh he certainly can. And probably should. He probably has enough to retire completely.

But these guys aren't wired the same way we "normal" people are. And Carlton would represent a really juicy challenge for someone like him I'd reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back