List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe they cut him ... definitely worth a look for sure.
Hasn't actually been cut yet FYI, appears to be more a Mexican standoff between WCE and his manager with all the hubris that's been said.

Having said that, he'd benefit from being at another club and developing in the role he actually played in juniors.

Now watch SPS star for the Weagles ... another wasted high draft pick. If we can't trade him for at least a 2nd rounder or a decent player, I would have preferred to have given him another season under Vossy or however the new coach was.
I'll bet whatever you like he wont star for the Eagles on regular basis, will play the odd ok game just like he did for us. Youre right, wasted high draft pick, doesnt play like you'd expect a pick 6 to play.

2016 was a pretty ordinary draft. In retrospect, would've loved Sean Darcy (who slipped through to pick 38).

Pretty gutted about how it has all ended with SPS. Loved him and was so genuinely excited about what he would become and to fizzle out the way he did for us is really upsetting.
West Coast would be mad to give up a second rounder imo so I think we will get SFA in return

I'll bet whatever you like he wont star for the Eagles on regular basis, will play the odd ok game just like he did for us. Youre right, wasted high draft pick, doesnt play like you'd expect a pick 6 to play.

Hope you're right but unfortunately in recent times, I have seen too many of our ex players like Josh Kennedy, Eddie Betts, Zac Tuohey, Lochie Henderson, Jarrod Waite, Shaun Grigg, Kane Lambert, Mitch Robinson, and so many others overs the years, star after we put in all the hard yards with them and other clubs reap the benefits.

Hope you're right but unfortunately in recent times, I have seen too many of our ex players like Josh Kennedy, Eddie Betts, Zac Tuohey, Lochie Henderson, Jarrod Waite, Shaun Grigg, Kane Lambert, Mitch Robinson, and so many others overs the years, star after we put in all the hard yards with them and other clubs reap the benefits.
Kennedy was the big one out of that list but that was the price to pay for Judd.
Lambert was never on our list so I’m not sure why you have included in your analysis, but with the exception of maybe Grigg all those other guys were equally serviceable for us as they were for their new clubs so we didn’t miss out.
Nobody has done a Jarrad Lyons or Ben Keays type transformation on us to the best of my knowledge.

Lambert isn't an ex-player. But yes, plenty have excelled of late once they've left the club.

Kennedy was the big one out of that list but that was the price to pay for Judd.
Lambert was never on our list so I’m not sure why you have included in your analysis, but with the exception of maybe Grigg all those other guys were equally serviceable for us as they were for their new clubs so we didn’t miss out.
Nobody has done a Jarrad Lyons or Ben Keays type transformation on us to the best of my knowledge.

Some true points there but you have to say Kennedy aside, that Betts, Tuohey, Grigg and even Waite were statisically better and more consistent players at their new clubs than for the Blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Add Nick Hind to that list

Jones I’d put in that category

Genuinely curious, why do some want Brander? Even as KP depth he just seems like a bit of a list clogger in my opinion.

One OOC player from the eagles who I would like to target is Josh Rotham - key defender with elite ball use and can take a good intercept mark too.

Genuinely curious, why do some want Brander? Even as KP depth he just seems like a bit of a list clogger in my opinion.

One OOC player from the eagles who I would like to target is Josh Rotham - key defender with elite ball use and can take a good intercept mark too.
Rotham is not a KPP - id put him in the Marchbank, Plowman, McGovern, Silvagni category of tall but not quite imposing enough.
Brander could be a real unit - but agree he’s no guarantee.

Jones I’d put in that category
My point was aside from Josh Kennedy (who we reluctantly traded to get Chris Judd) nobody that we have let go has significantly improved after leaving Carlton in the way Jarrad Lyons and Ben Keays, for example, improved after changing clubs....yes there are other examples indeed Liam Jones improved after coming to Carlton and Nick Hind (although I’m not convinced it’s sustainable in his case).

Do not consider him a “clogger”. West Coast are/were oversubscribed for talls. Being more athletic, Brander has been schooled as a mid, specifically a winger. He has been trained, physically and positionally to play on awing. His body has not been developed as KPP. He has been kept lean. His development has been screwed as he was the more versatile of the myriad of young talls. He was ultra highly rated as a kid, and has played some outstanding games at the lower level in the WAFL talls as a KPD.

We need to balance our list, we needs talls, primarily a player able to play as a KPD in the event of one of our keys going down. With a focussed preseason, he offers that.

Time will tell if he becomes decent depth, or develops in to a genuine long term KPP. Bear in mind with Harry, Charlie and Weiters, we have three of four key pillars for the best part of a decade. A depth player, with potential to become a long term KPD is a decent investment. We are three key players short on the list. One more mature(ish) type is pretty much a requirement. Then a couple of throws at the stumps in the draft.

Is he the perfect fit, probably not. Is he a practical progression to a balanced, developing list, yes. Happens West Coast needs mids, if he takes steps SPS is one, we need KPP, if he takes steps, Brander is one. He has not been handled well by West Coast. Oscar Allen, behind Kennedy, Darling and a back up ruck and tallish Waterman stymied him forward. Barrass teaming with McGovern, Rotham, young beanpole Edwards etc leave few spots down back. He was the most athletic and a bit suited as a lanky wingman, if he wanted a game in the ones, he had to play ball.

My point was aside from Josh Kennedy (who we reluctantly traded to get Chris Judd) nobody that we have let go has significantly improved after leaving Carlton in the way Jarrad Lyons and Ben Keays, for example, improved after changing clubs....yes there are other examples indeed Liam Jones improved after coming to Carlton and Nick Hind (although I’m not convinced it’s sustainable in his case).
Yep sorry I was read it wrong and thought you said for us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back