List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, long post warning

So breaking down the list by player type, ranked first to last:

Small Forwards: Fisher, Owies, Durdin, Boyd

Medium Forwards: Martin, Silvagni, McGovern, Honey, Philp

Tall Forwards: McKay, C. Curnow, McDonald

Wingmen: Walsh, O'Brien, Newnes, Cottrell, Carroll

Onballers: Cripps, Cerra, Hewett, Dow, Kennedy, Fogarty, E. Curnow, Setterfield, Cuningham

Small Defenders: Saad, Williams, Docherty, Stocker,

Medium Defenders: Plowman, Newman, Kemp, Williamson Parks, Marchbank

Tall Defenders: Weitering, Jones, Young

Ruck: De Koning, Pittonet, Mirkov

We have a pretty balanced distribution IMO. A lot of flexible players to cover holes if they arise, you could easily re-classify a dozen players and I wouldn't really complain.

Not a lot of age issues either, with the elder statesman now being Ed Curnow and Liam Jones.

Key defender is probably the spot we need a developing prospect in, as coverage if Young doesn't come on as we want.

Besides that, I think you draft for the intangibles, grit, leadership etc.

From a Best 22 Perspective you will have:

4 Small/Medium Forwards (Fisher, Martin, Silvagni, Owies)
2 Tall Forwards (McKay, C. Curnow)
2 Wingmen (Walsh, O'Brien)
4 Onballers (Cripps, Cerra, Hewett, ???)
5 Small/Medium Defenders (Saad, Williams, Plowman, ???, ???)
2 Tall Defenders (Weitering, Jones)
1 Ruck (De Koning)
2 Utilities ( ???, ???)

Key over pre-season will be the battle for the bench midfield slot, with Cripps, Cerra and Hewett starting, Walsh rotating off a wing and at least a little flanker rotation (Williams, Martin, Fisher) there is likely one spot sitting on the bench for the last midfield rotation, Kennedy, Dow, Fogarty, Setterfield and Cuningham duking it out.

The last 2 General defenders is between Docherty (health) Newman and Stocker, with a lot of noise from Kemp, Parks and maybe a returning Marchbank.

Utilities needs at least 1 tall to cover injuries, ruck relief etc. McGovern and Mcdonald probably compete here. Then you want the bit parts player, I probably pick Ed.

Throw in a flexible runner like Newnes or Fogarty as sub (if the AFL doesn't remove that three minutes before the first game)

OK, long post warning

So breaking down the list by player type, ranked first to last:

Small Forwards: Fisher, Owies, Durdin, Boyd

Medium Forwards: Martin, Silvagni, McGovern, Honey, Philp

Tall Forwards: McKay, C. Curnow, McDonald

Wingmen: Walsh, O'Brien, Newnes, Cottrell, Carroll

Onballers: Cripps, Cerra, Hewett, Dow, Kennedy, Fogarty, E. Curnow, Setterfield, Cuningham

Small Defenders: Saad, Williams, Docherty, Stocker,

Medium Defenders: Plowman, Newman, Kemp, Williamson Parks, Marchbank

Tall Defenders: Weitering, Jones, Young

Ruck: De Koning, Pittonet, Mirkov

We have a pretty balanced distribution IMO. A lot of flexible players to cover holes if they arise, you could easily re-classify a dozen players and I wouldn't really complain.

Not a lot of age issues either, with the elder statesman now being Ed Curnow and Liam Jones.

Key defender is probably the spot we need a developing prospect in, as coverage if Young doesn't come on as we want.

Besides that, I think you draft for the intangibles, grit, leadership etc.

From a Best 22 Perspective you will have:

4 Small/Medium Forwards (Fisher, Martin, Silvagni, Owies)
2 Tall Forwards (McKay, C. Curnow)
2 Wingmen (Walsh, O'Brien)
4 Onballers (Cripps, Cerra, Hewett, ???)
5 Small/Medium Defenders (Saad, Williams, Plowman, ???, ???)
2 Tall Defenders (Weitering, Jones)
1 Ruck (De Koning)
2 Utilities ( ???, ???)

Key over pre-season will be the battle for the bench midfield slot, with Cripps, Cerra and Hewett starting, Walsh rotating off a wing and at least a little flanker rotation (Williams, Martin, Fisher) there is likely one spot sitting on the bench for the last midfield rotation, Kennedy, Dow, Fogarty, Setterfield and Cuningham duking it out.

The last 2 General defenders is between Docherty (health) Newman and Stocker, with a lot of noise from Kemp, Parks and maybe a returning Marchbank.

Utilities needs at least 1 tall to cover injuries, ruck relief etc. McGovern and Mcdonald probably compete here. Then you want the bit parts player, I probably pick Ed.

Throw in a flexible runner like Newnes or Fogarty as sub (if the AFL doesn't remove that three minutes before the first game)
Boyd is a small defender, while Honey is probably more aligned with your definition of a small forward. Philp is an on-baller, as is Cottrell Carroll, but they can both flex to the wing.

After another pre-season, Kemp's either going to be a tall defender or an on-baller. Fingers crossed Stocker switches to on-ball.

Last edited:
Boyd is a small defender, while Honey is probably more aligned with your definition of a small forward. Philp is an on-baller, as is Cottrell, but they can both flex to the wing.

After another pre-season, Kemp's either going to be a tall defender or an on-baller. Fingers crossed Stocker switches to on-ball.
"A lot of flexible players to cover holes if they arise, you could easily re-classify a dozen players and I wouldn't really complain."

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cottrell while no superstar has showed more than enough to retain a spot on a rookie list. He is up there with the best runner at the club and when called up at a bare minimum applies huge defensive running and physicality for a wingman. A terrible kick atm yes, but generally players with that level of work ethic make it into quality players. I recall Ed Curnow being similar when we picked him up and he's ended up alright. Another I can recall being Kamdyn McIntosh He's exactly the type to keep around instead of a late pick because we know he is dedicated and wants to succeed. Who knows if we'll end up with some kid with a better kick but no drive and no tank.

Cottrell while no superstar has showed more than enough to retain a spot on a rookie list. He is up there with the best runner at the club and when called up at a bare minimum applies huge defensive running and physicality for a wingman. A terrible kick atm yes, but generally players with that level of work ethic make it into quality players. I recall Ed Curnow being similar when we picked him up and he's ended up alright. Another I can recall being Kamdyn McIntosh He's exactly the type to keep around instead of a late pick because we know he is dedicated and wants to succeed. Who knows if we'll end up with some kid with a better kick but no drive and no tank.
I want to see voss turn cottrell into a footballer like sheedy did with Dean Wallis.

Cottersl & Parks
"A lot of flexible players to cover holes if they arise, you could easily re-classify a dozen players and I wouldn't really complain."

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Exciting times ahead, we need our more skilled youngsters and recent mature bodied acquisitions regain their form and go to the next stage, unfortunately Cotteral & Parks although tenacious, hard nose and likable aren’t the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boyd is a small defender, while Honey is probably more aligned with your definition of a small forward. Philp is an on-baller, as is Cottrell, but they can both flex to the wing.

philp got the size for on-ball, jimster?

We take 2 in the draft and upgrade 1 (say Kennedy) for 3 picks, downgrade 1 (LOB).

The part I don’t get is, does that mean we can’t take any new rookies? I know there’s been stuff all footy this year, but geez I don’t like the idea of ignoring the rookie draft in any year.

lurker on your boards in recent weeks

disclaimer, ive known cottrell since the day he was born and seen plenty of him playing growing up. i'd pick him up every day of the school holidays at 5am from the age of 4 to come to work with me (at visy) for the kids holiday program to give his single mum of 5 a chop out. he'd be waiting on the porch with his footy in the dark ready to go.

watched most games he played for your team obv with vested interest. Im rapped he's been given another go. imo, this yr he was used on the fat side of the ground to run up and down to cover the switch, and when there was stoppages on his side, played behind the ball and told get ball and get rid of it as far as you can quickly ( your old coaches def strategy lol)

he actually is quite skillful (albeit , in lower grades) is still growing (all his brothers are 6.3+) and will fill out like a tank in the next yr or so. Hopefully he gets the opportunity to develop under a better coaching regime.

I think alot of you may be pleasantly surprised as he grows in the afl.

Agree mate - good work ethic - great tank - good overhead - fast - footskills and decision making can let him down but on lower tier. We need back up on the wings and provided that this season. He isn't as bad a player as most make him to be as he has a crack and puts his noggin on the ball.

I have no issue with Cottrell getting another year on the rookie list. Not sure why people are so upset about it either.

We're talking about a rookie spot in a draft class that has been heavily impacted by Covid. A lot of the kids coming through won't have played much footy over the past couple of years.

Sure, we all dream of a massive rookie success story. The odds of that though in a normal draft are low. In a Covid impacted year, even lower.

Happy enough to give the extra year to a player who works hard and has been around long enough to know the players, sytems etc. instead.

Looks like we picked up the best player in this years trade period, not that it was a particularly big year for player movement, in fact was one quietest trade period in resent years.
I’m a bit meh on Cerra, from what I’ve seen of him “which admittedly isn’t much” he’s kind of like a Petracca lite.
Similar body type and playing style, both do there best work forward if centre.
Cerra obviously not at Petracca’s level of explosiveness power and hasn’t shown the game breaking ability yet, but
I do like Cerra’s kicking inside F50 looks to be he’s best asset and it’s something we are sorely missing

Cezz is more like a bigger version of Dion Prestia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no issue with Cottrell getting another year on the rookie list. Not sure why people are so upset about it either.

We're talking about a rookie spot in a draft class that has been heavily impacted by Covid. A lot of the kids coming through won't have played much footy over the past couple of years.

Sure, we all dream of a massive rookie success story. The odds of that though in a normal draft are low. In a Covid impacted year, even lower.

Happy enough to give the extra year to a player who works hard and has been around long enough to know the players, sytems etc. instead.
I'd rather take a shot at an unknown quantity than Cottrell who we know is very BOG average. 'he can run' shouldn't be enough to get a list spot.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

It’s a fair point and I personally thought Cottrell would be delisted (I’d rather we get Brander as a delisted free agent to help with KPP depth) so I probably need to expand on my initial response.
Personally I’m a bit worried about list depth with Doc out indefinitely, Mirkov miles off, Cunners and Marchbank are both coming back from serious knee injuries and we have several other injury prone types, so the idea of giving a list spot to a 17-18 year old who we can’t realistically rely on to play much next season doesn’t excite me much.

We got Young, who is almost a similar sized body to Brander, the club seemingly lost interest in Brander during the trade period and opted for Young inside.

I'd suggest it's a pretty strong message from Austin that we don't rate the draft and will back what we have rather than turn them over for late picks with very limited exposed form

Think lack of junior footy, esp across Victoria due to covid interrupted year has played a big part in us not been keen on this draft.

Fremantle on the other hand know there is at least 3 solid WA kids they will be able to draft with their top 20 picks, as Denis Pagan was fond of saying, it's horses for courses stuff for all clubs and their needs (which applies every year really too)

The part I don’t get is, does that mean we can’t take any new rookies? I know there’s been stuff all footy this year, but geez I don’t like the idea of ignoring the rookie draft in any year.
Nah, this is our minimum stance for the ND.
The rookie draft has not been really discussed

Cottrell is t great buy is a solid foot soldier, the other thing we need to develop is a strong VFL side and keeping these guys on instead of some kid we draft in the 60s is a smart list decision.

It’s a fair point and I personally thought Cottrell would be delisted (I’d rather we get Brander as a delisted free agent to help with KPP depth) so I probably need to expand on my initial response.
Personally I’m a bit worried about list depth with Doc out indefinitely, Mirkov miles off, Cunners and Marchbank are both coming back from serious knee injuries and we have several other injury prone types, so the idea of giving a list spot to a 17-18 year old who we can’t realistically rely on to play much next season doesn’t excite me much.
Understand your point.
But if we're relying on the 38-43rd best player on our list for depth. I'd rather it be an 18 year old with upside, than Matt who doesn't.

To your point. Brander v Cottrell is a no brainer.

Cottrell is t great buy is a solid foot soldier, the other thing we need to develop is a strong VFL side and keeping these guys on instead of some kid we draft in the 60s is a smart list decision.
Plus Cottrell can be offered one year. The draft pick 60 has to be offered two years. More flexible for next year.

As at 13th October 2021

NEW:-

George Hewett (RFA)
Adam Cerra
Lewis Young

MSD ROOKIES (June 2021):-

Alex Mirkov (18 month contract)
Jordan Boyd (6 month contract)

Lochie O'Brien (to be recontracted via upcoming NAB AFL Rookie Draft)
Sam Petrevski-Seton (Traded to WC)
Jack Newnes
33. Sam Ramsay (Delisted 7/10/21)
Michael Gibbons (Promoted to Snr list) (Delisted 7/10/21)
Matthew Cottrell (2nd yr rookie) (to be recontracted via upcoming NAB AFL Rookie Draft)

Paddy Dow
7. Matthew Kennedy (2nd Year Rookie)
8. Lachie Fogarty ?
Liam Stocker
14. Liam Jones
16. Jack Carroll ?
18. Sam Walsh
22. Caleb Marchbank
Luke Parks (Rookie)
28. David Cuningham
29. Corey Durdin ?
Tom Williamson
35. Ed Curnow
36. Josh Honey (3rd yr rookie)
37. Jordan Boyd (Rookie)
39. Oscar McDonald (SSP Rookie)
43. Will Setterfield
44. Matthew Owies (Cat B International Rookie) - (to be retained as a Cat B Rookie)

Jack Silvagni
10. Harry McKay
11. Mitch McGovern
12. Tom De Koning
15. Sam Docherty
17. Brodie Kemp
20. Lachie Plowman
24. Nic Newman
25. Zac Fisher
27. Mark Pittonett
30. Charlie Curnow
34. Sam Philp
Lewis Young

Jack Martin

Jacob Weitering
42. Adam Saad
George Hewett
Adam Cerra

Zac Williams

Patrick Cripps

ROOKIES:-
Lochie O'Brien (to be recontracted via upcoming NAB AFL Rookie Draft)
Matthew Kennedy
26. Luke Parks
36. Josh Honey
37. Jordan Boyd (MSD Rookie)
Oscar McDonald (SSP Rookie)
Matt Owies (Cat B International Rookie)
Alex Mirkov (MSD Rookie)
Matthew Cottrell

2022 List consists of:-

33 Senior players
5 Category A Rookies (LOB included) (to be recontracted via upcoming NAB AFL Rookie Draft)
1 SSP Rookie
2 MSD Rookies
0 Category A International Rookie
1 Category B International Rookie
0 Category B Rookies

Durdin & Carroll no ? required, 2yr drafting contract with no new announcements on extensions.

Assuming M.Kennedy has/will be promoted, or it looks like too many on the rookie list with LOB & Cotters moving to there (though A rookies are capped at 6…, so only 1 can be re-drafted, or other means for a LTI / Doc, Marchy, DC) & likely 2 picks at the ND.

“ Meanwhile, clubs have been told they will have to again select a minimum of three players at the NAB AFL Draft after last year only needing to take one because of list reductions. The three live picks can include promoted rookies (before or after the national draft), national draft picks and pre-season draft selections”.

Thanks for the reply . So retaining lob is not set yet . Want to see him under Vossy though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
There seems to be a unwritten rule in the AFL if a club lets the other clubs know they want to rookie a player on there list it normally happens without any problems

If Carlton want LOB as a rookie it will happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back