List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems Jack Newnes is not de-listed but also I not sure he even has a contract for 2022.
So maybe he last guy they making a decision on in coming weeks.
Either de-listed and allowed to get to another club as de-listed free agent or new contract on minimum wage and senior body for reserves team all year.
We do not have much draft picks of note after a pick in mid 20's so probably last spot on list to decide if use late pick in draft or just keep as depth.

There seems to be a unwritten rule in the AFL if a club lets the other clubs know they want to rookie a player on there list it normally happens without any problems

If Carlton want LOB as a rookie it will happen.
This might be more a Co-Vid slight adjustment to rookie list rules and we essentially just paying rookie draft pick to do it.

Hard to know for sure.
I read below from article a month or so ago and bold the part that maybe relevant to a guy like O'Brien.

But the rule that allowed clubs to move primary-listed players to the rookie list between the first and second list lodgment periods to open up senior spots will not be permitted this off-season.

In a memo to clubs, the AFL said that there is "no forecast changes to list sizes for 2022" and that the one-off rule was brought in last season due to the changes that came late in the piece with list sizes and structures.

They will, however, be able to shift players on the senior list to the rookie list in the time between the national and rookie drafts if the player is contracted for 2022.

Meanwhile, clubs have been told they will have to again select a minimum of three players at the NAB AFL Draft after last year only needing to take one because of list reductions. The three live picks can include promoted rookies (before or after the national draft), national draft picks and pre-season draft selections.

wdiL71oT.jpg

04:51MINS
Published on Aug 4, 2021, 8:00am

Last edited:

Cottersl & Parks
Exciting times ahead, we need our more skilled youngsters and recent mature bodied acquisitions regain their form and go to the next stage, unfortunately Cotteral & Parks although tenacious, hard nose and likable aren’t the future.
How the hell do you deduce that from Parks’ 4 or 5 games in a s**t season when he’s been thrown in the deep end?

We got Young, who is almost a similar sized body to Brander, the club seemingly lost interest in Brander during the trade period and opted for Young inside.
I understand that but Young only really addresses replacing Levi, and I think we all acknowledged last season we lacked KPP depth, so I’d still like to see us get Brander to give us a bit more KPP depth.

There seems to be a unwritten rule in the AFL if a club lets the other clubs know they want to rookie a player on there list it normally happens without any problems

If Carlton want LOB as a rookie it will happen.

Not sure the gentlemen's agreement applies to former top-10 picks that have only been in the system 4 years. Clubs with National Draft picks south of 50 or 60 would be looking carefully at LOB; he would be a smart, percentage pick at that stage. I am not at all sure he will be at Carlton next year.

It is frustrating list-management because LOB does matter to us. Really, we should have gotten ourselves into the situation where the delist-and-re-rookie player was Newnes (or similar), because there's a much higher chance of that process working out as planned, and less downside if Newnes did get a go somewhere else.

I also don't understand why we committed to Cottrell today. I understand the list management mechanics: delist LOB, 2 live picks at the draft, elevate Kennedy, re-rookie LOB afterwards (if he's there), move Docherty to the Inactive list, upgrade another rookie (LOB?) to cover, and then bring Cottrell in as an SSP rookie.

But if we get to that SSP stage as planned, why not give ourselves a free swing? In the meantime, have we really decided that Cottrell offers more value than both Ramsay and Gibbons? All else being equal, I'd rather re-rookie Ramsay at SSP time. And if the second rookie spot becomes available because our cunning LOB plan blows up, would we still take Cottrell ahead of Gibbons? Don't understand.

It was tweeted by someone who apparently knows stuff. Can’t remember who it was, but was accepted by most here to be true.
I looked for search for any news on Newnes recently and could not find anything.
Kennedy is another one I assume has contract for 2022 but not seen anything concrete about.

He has a rolling trigger on his contract I think it's 12 games (half season) - not sure on the number. But if he plays 12 games next season his contract is auto triggered again. It was reported when he first signed up. Just not sure on the number of games.

Newnes got a trigger extention on his contract. Kudos to him - the man is a pro tbh.
Still nothing official from the club yet on Newnes, and as much as I agree with you that he is a professional - and if he did trigger the extension then he deserves it - I’d much rather we get in some cheap KPP depth like Brander or even Schlensog (who’s was good in the WAFL this year) as I feel we are still a bit exposed in that area...remembering Young only really addresses replacing Levi.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still nothing official from the club yet on Newnes, and as much as I agree with you that he is a professional - and if he did trigger the extension then he deserves it - I’d much rather we get in some cheap KPP depth like Brander or even Schlensog (who’s was good in the WAFL this year).

I dont make the contracts Bruv - but Newnes is under contract.

philp got the size for on-ball, jimster?
6'1", explosive, runs all day, just needs to work on his running technique and build his body up a little more.

The part I don’t get is, does that mean we can’t take any new rookies? I know there’s been stuff all footy this year, but geez I don’t like the idea of ignoring the rookie draft in any year.
We're full up on Cat A, yeah. Can recruit one Cat B (hopefully Akuei). I'm not worried about that so much, more worried about who has been retained.

Plus Cottrell can be offered one year. The draft pick 60 has to be offered two years. More flexible for next year.
If we were more serious about clearing out the rookie list deadwood, he'd be replaced by a rookie or a DFA, in which case it is directly comparable in terms of contract length.

6'1", explosive, runs all day, just needs to work on his running technique and build his body up a little more.

We're full up on Cat A, yeah. Can recruit one Cat B (hopefully Akuei). I'm not worried about that so much, more worried about who has been retained.

If we were more serious about clearing out the rookie list deadwood, he'd be replaced by a rookie or a DFA, in which case it is directly comparable in terms of contract length.
Hopefully Philp's body survives. Bit of a worry he's got a serious repeat issue.

Think I got my head around list spots now...
Without knowing how Docherty's list spot is effected...

Primary list: 33
Rookies: 4
Cat B rookies: 1
Draft - 25, Kennedy (Upgrade) & Honey or McDonald (Upgrade)
Pick 6 - LOB
Pick 25 - Cottrell
CAT B - Akuai
Primary list: 36Rookie List: 6 + 2 CAT B

Pretty sure the AFL now allow due to reduced list numbers and the gentleman agreement between the clubs...
That you can just take players from the main list and put them on the Rookie list, unless the player wants to of course exercise DFA..

LOB - Is a no brainer highly skilled and runs both ways which is our needs.. Needs development on running patterns and link up, when he gets it right he has been very good, when not he is hardly seen...

Cottrell - Not sure why the negativity? Hard as a cats head, runs both ways.. Like LOB, needs development on running patterns and link up, hasn't got this right at all so far.. Something to work with..

The list number below of this year throw a spanner in the works they are all over the shop

IMO it's not our job to take the heat off Cripps, it's Cripps go to be out there in the thick of it and highly involved in the game, if he's not he's not worth his spot in the side. Our players just all need to pull their weight and contribute. Play structured footy and go as hard as you can when it's your turn to go. Attack and defend as a team. If one player is more involved than others then so be it. Cripps' role in the team is a go hard or go home style of game where he is in everything and when he draws attention then that's the opportunity for others to sneak under the guard. Not saying we use Cripps all the time at stoppages, we need to be team orientated with this but he needs to be highly involved in our games. Same as Bont, Oliver, Petracca, Wines are for their teams.

With the addition of Hewett and Cerra, the heat is officially off.

It's mental heat, mostly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back