News Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games 24 August 2021 – 5 September 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest up date on preparing for the games.

Vaccinations are accelerating, but so too are the number of daily COVID-19 cases, especially in the capital Tokyo, which is set to host the Summer Olympics in just over three weeks.
The capital region recorded 673 new cases on Thursday, marking 12 straight days of week-on-week rises.

Tokyo and neighboring regions are still under a "quasi-lockdown," with bars and eateries asked — but not ordered — to stop serving alcoholic beverages by 7 p.m. A decision on whether to lift the remaining restrictions is expected before the current quasi-state of emergency order expires on July 11.

As for the Games, Japanese and Olympics officials have announced that a limited number of domestic fans will be permitted to attend the events, but foreign fans are banned.

Who will be watching?

I most likely will watch swimming, national team sports like softball, soccer and basketball. Not a huge fan of athletics, boxing, weightlifting etc

tokyo1.jpg

Welcome to Tokyo 2021

I thought we should have our own Olympic Games thread.

This could Include many things.
But I will start with mine.

Swimming
Cycling
Marathon Running
Rowing
Hockey
Softball
Gymnastics

Super keen to see some of the other sports as well,
Archery
Badminton
Pentathlon
Weightlifting

And maybe other posters have knowledge of other sports or hey even family or a friend that worked there butt of to Represent Australia.

Over to you.

View attachment 1171304

Welcome to Tokyo 2021

Swimming
Cycling
Marathon Running
Rowing
Hockey
Softball
Gymnastics

Archery
Badminton
Pentathlon
Weightlifting

And maybe other posters have knowledge of other sports or hey even family or a friend that worked there butt of to Represent Australia.

Over to you.

Where's the soccer re?

🥺

Not a great fan of the Olympics. 100m sprint is okay, over nice and quick.

Next summer games in Paris will feature breakdancing as a medal event. I'll definitely tune in for that.

View attachment 1171304

Welcome to Tokyo 2021

Swimming
Cycling
Marathon Running
Rowing
Hockey
Softball
Gymnastics

Archery
Badminton
Pentathlon
Weightlifting

Over to you.

Moore of the same.. and I.. I mean.. myself and I.. ummm.. s**t.. I just confused myself.. well.. we'll take care of the soccer re..

Congratulations on a great yr from Leeds.. relegation next season though re.

View attachment 1171304

Welcome to Tokyo 2021

Swimming
Cycling
Marathon Running
Rowing
Hockey
Softball
Gymnastics

Archery
Badminton
Pentathlon
Weightlifting

Over to you.

Track (less time for field events but still good). The recent US Trials and Diamond League meets have produced some great performances.

Sha’Carri Richardson’s 1 mth suspension hugely disappointing. The most expensive joint in history. Real shame as she looked a good chance in the Women’s 100. At 5’1”.

Gabby Thomas will be the star of the games.

And here are two world record 400m hurdles from the last week.

Sydney McLaughlin might also be another star.

Bring it on!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Track (less time for field events but still good). The recent US Trials and Diamond League meets have produced some great performances.

Sha’Carri Richardson’s 1 mth suspension hugely disappointing. The most expensive joint in history. Real shame as she looked a good chance in the Women’s 100. At 5’1”.

Gabby Thomas will be the star of the games.

And here are two world record 400m hurdles from the last week.

Sydney McLaughlin might also be another star.

Bring it on!

I just shake my head this girl had it all to Gold Medal and smokes pot.

Gimp I had you down for a cycling review no idea why,
Perhaps clothing and that stuff.

I am a big cycling fan but don’t think road cycling should be in the Olympics. If it’s not the peak of the sport, I don’t care for it as much at the Olympics.

I readily concede it’s all about the dollars but if I could, I would exit the following sports as well
Golf
Tennis
Soccer

Although being in the stadium when Cameroon beat Spain in Sydney was possibly the most joyous sports moment I have witnessed.

I just shake my head this girl had it all to Gold Medal and smokes pot.

So disappointing- she lit up (pun intended) the track at the US Trials. A real personality.

Gabby Thomas will be the star. Harvard grad completing a doctorate in epidemiology and might just bust Flo-Jos 200 record.

And my favourite runner of all time, Allyson Felix, will be in her 5th Olympics. Guaranteed another gold in the 4x400 and might even snag something in the individual. Not bad for a 35yo mum!

I am a big cycling fan but don’t think road cycling should be in the Olympics. If it’s not the peak of the sport, I don’t care for it as much at the Olympics.

I readily concede it’s all about the dollars but if I could, I would exit the following sports as well
Golf
Tennis
Soccer

Although being in the stadium when Cameroon beat Spain in Sydney was possibly the most joyous sports moment I have witnessed.

100% Even though I love those sports.
Basketball should be another?

Wow I never got the chance to see the Sydney Games live in person.
Must have been awesome.

So disappointing- she lit up (pun intended) the track at the US Trials. A real personality.

Gabby Thomas will be the star. Harvard grad completing a doctorate in epidemiology and might just bust Flo-Jos 200 record.

And my favourite runner of all time, Allyson Felix, will be in her 5th Olympics. Guaranteed another gold in the 4x400 and might even snag something in the individual. Not bad for a 35yo mum!

Yeah I streamed the USA Track and she did lite it up.

Do you think any Australian can medal in Track and Field?

100% Even though I love those sports.
Basketball should be another?

Wow I never got the chance to see the Sydney Games live in person.
Must have been awesome.

Sydney was pumping. The soccer final was on a Saturday morning. Plenty of Sydney idiots had clearly gone straight through and spent all the pre-game dancing in the stands to the “Venga Bus” still off their trolleys. Special memories.

Gimp I had you down for a cycling review no idea why,
Perhaps clothing and that stuff.

I made the Australian University Soccer Team.. could have should have would have made it as an Olympian I reckon and that re. Had some great coaches along the way.. Michael Sinclair.. Jess Sinclair's ol' man.. was one. Super bloke/coach.

Fan here, thou certain sports like tennis and golf, shouldn’t be involved.
FWIW, find swimming to be overated, watch the country have a huge circle jerk over a hugely inflated sport (or recreational pursuit).
Best for me easily track n field, marathon always good ,team sports like hockey and basketball and rowing, cycling.
No crowds will certainly dampen the excitement somewhat sadly.

I made the Australian University Soccer Team.. could have should have would have made it as an Olympian I reckon and that re. Had some great coaches along the way.. Michael Sinclair.. Jess Sinclair's ol' man.. was one. Super bloke/coach.

Was Spiros on that team?

Yeah I streamed the USA Track and she did lite it up.

Do you think any Australian can medal in Track and Field?

McSweyn in the 1500 a medal chance - that race can be a lottery in major events because no one wants to take it out. And he has hit some pretty good form.

I will claim him as we both run on Caulfield racecourse (I have never seen him there). My regular Gday buddy on the track is a retired judge in his 80s (who runs 3+ hrs a day there) rather than an Olympian!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back