Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon Hately will hit the ground running. I'm confident of a big year from him, comfortably top 10 b&f.
I think he will be our Brad Ebert equivalent.

Good honest consistent player who will play plenty of games, but won't be gun level.

We got a new physio from Liverpool. Maybe he's having an influence. I think more likely than that, we now have competent coaches who actually know how to drill their players so the guys look fitter by virtue of working harder. I'm struggling to find reasons for why Hass would suck so badly for years and than just suddenly look competent.
Our future high performance manager is getting in his preferred staff...

This rumour seems pretty plausible. I want to see how Melbourne go this year. I'm not totally sold on Burgess.
Burgess is great at AFL level... just not so much at Premier League level.

Would be a massive upgrade for us.

I think he will be our Brad Ebert equivalent.

Good honest consistent player who will play plenty of games, but won't be gun level.
Could handle that but I think he'll be a bit above Ebert

It definitely was important to head into pre season with those end of season wins I'm just saying when the new season begins if we lose the first 3 any confidence we took from the last 4 games will be gone
Some confidence might be lost, but four months of physical improvemyand growing bonds won't be.

We got a new physio from Liverpool. Maybe he's having an influence. I think more likely than that, we now have competent coaches who actually know how to drill their players so the guys look fitter by virtue of working harder. I'm struggling to find reasons for why Hass would suck so badly for years and than just suddenly look competent.

You'd think medical would be critical in feeding back to the fitness guys. I doubt Burto gave a s**t what the medical arm said, he's the type of moron that believed he was expert in everything. Maybe the kanga tech guy came here at a high price to right the structural ship and moved on. There's no doubt that the club was forced into making better decisions.

Could handle that but I think he'll be a bit above Ebert

Maybe a better footballer, but if he's half as brave as Ebert I'll be happy. Haven't focussed on him at all, but stats wise, he looks a rolled gold 28+ possession winner when played as a primary mid.

Maybe a better footballer, but if he's half as brave as Ebert I'll be happy. Haven't focussed on him at all, but stats wise, he looks a rolled gold 28+ possession winner when played as a primary mid.

Yup, Josh Kennedy (Syd) should really be Hatelys ceiling.

Hately’s stats at GWS:

2019: 5 contested 11 uncontested
2020: 3 contested 10 uncontested

Overall 27 percent contested. Outside receiver territory.

Arguably that was role based, he never got a consistent run in the Giants midfield because they preferred other kids in Caldwell and Green.

Currently he is going at 14 metres gained per possession. Matt Crouch goes at about 10. Brodie Smith goes at about 25 which is what you expect for an outside receiver.

This is consistent with how he has looked in games IMO. He is a neat facilitator rather than a contested beast.

No guarantees he makes it, but if he does then I would expect a Matt Crouch style of player.

The only thing wrong with this is the assumption that the engineers actually get paid more than the marketing guys, because they don't.
Frighteningly underpaid for the risk they are responsible for relative to a doctor, and before you medicos fire up I put nurses in same vein as engineers !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember the year before when all the joy was returned to the group after a great preseason. Post season, seeya Pyko, Campo & Burto. They're meaningless words. But the kids look fit and strong, Fog's and Matt Crouch's more trim physiques has me confident that there's rubber on the road. I'm hopeful that if we suck it won't be because we're miles off it fitness wise. Unless they've been overdosing on shredding tablets.

shredding tablets are roids

I had to google Roughead's height to make you didn't make a mistake, I could have sworn he was around the 198 mark. I seem to remember him doing some back up ruck work.

Just shows how much the key forwards have changed over the last 10 years, these days a 193cm KPF is considered too small when up against some of these guys up at 200cm.

I still have faith that Fogarty will go on to become a important player for us long term. We just need to find where he best fits though. I think he is best suited to the 3rd tall forward with stints in the midfield.

Are they though?

I’ve just provided a list of <195cm players which includes some of the most highly regarded key position forwards in the league over the last 4-5 years. Add to that the likes of Mihocek (192cm) and Naughton (195cm) who seem to manage ok despite not being built like ruckmen.

As I said. Are there some very good 200cm key position forwards in the AFL? Yes. Is there any convincing evidence that a player (particularly one as solidly built as Fogarty) would be completely incapable of making it as a key position forward in 2021 purely based on the fact they are ‘only’ 193cm? No.

Hately’s stats at GWS:

Arguably that was role based, he never got a consistent run in the Giants midfield because they preferred other kids in Caldwell and Green.

Currently he is going at 14 metres gained per possession. Matt Crouch goes at about 10. Brodie Smith goes at about 25 which is what you expect for an outside receiver.

This is consistent with how he has looked in games IMO. He is a neat facilitator rather than a contested beast.

No guarantees he makes it, but if he does then I would expect a Matt Crouch style of player.

To give a bit more context on Hately stats, these are his 2nds. He should end up closer to Josh Kennedy then Matt Crouch in style.

His NEAFL stat line (from 2019): 26.6 disp/6.8 tackles/5.8 marks (best I can do)
SANFL (to show off a bit of forward ability): 18.4 disp/4.5 marks/4.3 tackles/0.9 goals.
Champs: 22.5 disp/39.35% contested/6.5 clearances/6.8 tackles

Last edited:
Frighteningly underpaid for the risk they are responsible for relative to a doctor, and before you medicos fire up I put nurses in same vein as engineers !
On that basis, you can argue politicians should be paid the most of anyone!

Hately’s stats at GWS:

They barely gave inside time to Green and Caldwell. He was the contested ball winning beast in his draft year.

They barely gave inside time to Green and Caldwell. He was the contested ball winning beast in his draft year.

gonna be a gun in midfield, and will play position drafted in. I always thought he was top ten in super draft, was hoping he would been our first pick, but ok now got jones and hately. Think jones will have a break out year now he is more well built.

gonna be a gun in midfield, and will play position drafted in. I always thought he was top ten in super draft, was hoping he would been our first pick, but ok now got jones and hately. Think jones will have a break out year now he is more well built.

It's certainly now or never for Jones breaking out. After all, he built like a brick shithouse now and that should provide confidence.

It's certainly now or never for Jones breaking out. After all, he built like a brick shithouse now and that should provide confidence.
Jones is an example of what I mean with better coaching structure.

Last year he was shunted around the park and struggled. We now have a bunch of experienced AFL heads around who will provide clarity to him, and probably more importantly the guys who are missing out

Hately’s stats at GWS:

You need to totally discount his GWS AFL games where he was played out of position and had relatively no time playing on ball....totally irrelevant.

Far better runner than Matt Crouch, better aerially with the ability to impact the scoreboard on a regular basis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back