Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to hear that Rowe is the first one in and out at training. Really seems to be giving everything he has to get his spot in the 22.

I’m sure that’s partly dad telling him how important things like that are for someone who isn’t a conventional looking player, more on the fringes trying to force your way in

good advice too, and a good sign that he can actually deliver on it

He's a very serious kid, need to learn to relax.

Should spend a couple of weeks with me. As a joke I got some business cards made up and handed them to my mates.

1970crow
Life Coach
Success Mentor

Was a hit at golf where I regularly turned up to our 11:30 tee time still drunk from my Friday binge. If you haven't realised, I'm a binge drinking alcoholic. And Friday is the night. I can not drink a drop 6 nights of the week, but I've probably not been drunk only a handful of Fridays in the last few years.

Should spend a couple of weeks with me. As a joke I got some business cards made up and handed them to my mates.

1970crow
Life Coach
Success Mentor

Was a hit at golf where I regularly turned up to our 11:30 tee time still drunk from my Friday binge. If you haven't realised, I'm a binge drinking alcoholic. And Friday is the night. I can not drink a drop 6 nights of the week, but I've probably not been drunk only a handful of Fridays in the last few years.
We should make you a Mod Friday nights

Revised Community Series fixture has been released... and the Crows are off to WA, playing Freo at Freo Oval.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/544094/blues-saints-to-open-updated-aami-community-series-fixture

So much for the AFL's statement about not travelling interstate for the pre-season games!

Noteworthy observations on the fixture:
  • Both Port & Adelaide are playing their community games in Perth.
  • There is no Community pre-season game in SA, making SA the only state to miss out (even Tasmania & ACT get a game).
  • While Adelaide, Port and Gold Coast all travel interstate, the only Victorian teams on the move are Hawthorn & North Melbourne, who play each other at their chosen home-away-from-home.

Revised Community Series fixture has been released... and the Crows are off to WA, playing Freo at Freo Oval.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/544094/blues-saints-to-open-updated-aami-community-series-fixture

So much for the AFL's statement about not travelling interstate for the pre-season games!

Noteworthy observations on the fixture:
  • Both Port & Adelaide are playing their community games in Perth.
  • There is no Community pre-season game in SA, making SA the only state to miss out (even Tasmania & ACT get a game).
  • While Adelaide, Port and Gold Coast all travel interstate, the only Victorian teams on the move are Hawthorn & North Melbourne, who play each other at their chosen home-away-from-home.
This sucks, I had plans to go to Noarlunga had a mate who's a Carlton fan who was rapt to go to Port Augusta to see a trial as they never Come to SA and that's been canned too.

I suppose this is better than playing Port a few times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah this must be a new tactic in AFL

Football is still about winning contested ball, making good decisions and executing your skills. You can't structure and game plan your way to a flag. It's still about winning the ball and using it well. For that you need talent. Structure is a part of it, but it ultimately ends at winning contests and executing. It's a bit like Tyson's quote about everyone having a plan until they get punched in the face. You can set up ahead of and behind the ball but eventually you'll simply have to impact the contest, win it and use it well or stifle the opponents attempt to do the same.

Footy hasn't changed, my U15 coach was rotating mids through the pocket, flank and bench in 1987. We were encouraged to run off half back to receive the ball and deliver to forwards or even kick goals. As long as you were in the play you had a license to run, as soon as you weren't you busted your arse to get back to your man. "You get your rest when you're back jogging around with your opponent". Obviously we were man on man back then, but zoning is a simple change.

And that's all that football is. Win the contest, make good decisions and use the ball well. Everything else feeds into that.

And now we're telling everyone what we're doing "Crows want to kick more goals" Ah well, now we're shot ;)

It's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see if it pays off for them.

We need to travel as much as we can. Builds cohesion with a young group.

Yup, lots of travel would be good for this group, especially as a good number of them have survived in the hubs and done so without fracturing. Sooner they get used to being on the road every 2nd week, and sometimes multiple weeks in a row, the better. Plus if they could snag a few wins as well away from home, it would be a huge boon for a young team.

1970crow
Life Coach
Success Mentor

We need a Bigfooty catch up.

I want to buy you a beer.

I like goals so I can get behind this!
I just hope we stop kicking the ball as high as the moon to players who are poor contested marks

Every single time

Especially the short ones who are being double teamed by two big blokes

I know sometimes you’ve just got to persist and things will turn around...

But no.
Yeah I'm comfortable that we've given the tactic every possible chance to succeed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back