List Mgmt. 2021 Trade, FA and Draft Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

IF only the AFL didnt change the Academy rules, Andrew would be ideal otherwise.

The rule change is bad luck for Melbourne, and I have no idea how committed Melbourne are to the NGA program, but here’s my experience.

In short it’s a joke.

I’m on the committee of a junior footy club and we have a big demographic challenge as we have lots of Asian background kids in our natural catchment areas. That’s mostly Chinese and to a lesser degree sub continental with a sprinkling of other backgrounds.

So far as Victoria goes we would be one of the prototypical areas for what the NGA is meant to be about.

We are in Collingwood’s NGA zone.

The AFL has “helped” us to attract kids from non-traditional background by holding two 30 minute sessions at a couple of primary schools.

I got a blanket email once from St.Kilda (as above, we are tied to Collingwood) asking if we had any promising NGA qualified kids.

I’ve never seen a thing from Collingwood.

From what I’ve experienced, the AFL and the clubs are doing effectively nothing to generate junior players from non traditional backgrounds, and are instead cherry picking kids who were already playing and already good.

I’m sure once identified the juniors get some extra training and development from the AFL clubs, but I wonder how much of a role that plays in their development anyway.

My daughter was in a (non-NGA) junior league run development squad and that was simply a weekly training session with 60 other girls - who were already in the best few players in their team.

There was no one-on-one coaching or attempts to fix what with the girls are some pretty obvious fundamental flaws many of them have. Sink or swim.

After she was selected on merit we also paid about $400 for her to be part of the program, so while we were able and happy to pay that, it’s the sort of thing that would put off parents from lower socio economic areas. Getting footy into those communities should be a key goal of the AFL and their associated junior leagues.

The rule change is bad luck for Melbourne, and I have no idea how committed Melbourne are to the NGA program, but here’s my experience.

In short it’s a joke.

I’m on the committee of a junior footy club and we have a big demographic challenge as we have lots of Asian background kids in our natural catchment areas. That’s mostly Chinese and to a lesser degree sub continental with a sprinkling of other backgrounds.

So far as Victoria goes we would be one of the prototypical areas for what the NGA is meant to be about.

We are in Collingwood’s NGA zone.

The AFL has “helped” us to attract kids from non-traditional background by holding two 30 minute sessions at a couple of primary schools.

I got a blanket email once from St.Kilda (as above, we are tied to Collingwood) asking if we had any promising NGA qualified kids.

I’ve never seen a thing from Collingwood.

From what I’ve experienced, the AFL and the clubs are doing effectively nothing to generate junior players from non traditional backgrounds, and are instead cherry picking kids who were already playing and already good.

I’m sure once identified the juniors get some extra training and development from the AFL clubs, but I wonder how much of a role that plays in their development anyway.

My daughter was in a (non-NGA) junior league run development squad and that was simply a weekly training session with 60 other girls - who were already in the best few players in their team.

There was no one-on-one coaching or attempts to fix what with the girls are some pretty obvious fundamental flaws many of them have. Sink or swim.

After she was selected on merit we also paid about $400 for her to be part of the program, so while we were able and happy to pay that, it’s the sort of thing that would put off parents from lower socio economic areas. Getting footy into those communities should be a key goal of the AFL and their associated junior leagues.
I really think it depends on the club. I can see exactly what you mean but on the flip side there have been a few reports from recruiters from other clubs saying Mac Andrew would never have been this high without the support he got from Melbourne. Says to me we were at least doing something there, although how much we did is really up in the air.

I really think it depends on the club. I can see exactly what you mean but on the flip side there have been a few reports from recruiters from other clubs saying Mac Andrew would never have been this high without the support he got from Melbourne. Says to me we were at least doing something there, although how much we did is really up in the air.

If Melbourne’s investment in Andrew is the main thing that got him where he is, then that’s pretty disappointing that Melbourne get no benefit.

I’m not sure of the financial arrangements, but I’d be assuming the AFL either directly or indirectly fund the AFL club’s NGA programs, and if that’s the case then I think all those players should be open slather for anyone to draft.

You’d be surprised how amateurish, literally, the AFL is with massive reliance on volunteers and low paid, very thinly spread employees when it comes to junior growth and development. The AFL really rely on existing bodies, be they AFL clubs, or junior leagues and clubs, to do almost all the work.

We are talking one presumably low paid person to liaise across 20+ junior clubs for junior development, Auskick etc. Literally weeks to get simple responses to administrative questions. Apparently it was better pre COVID.

If Melbourne’s investment in Andrew is the main thing that got him where he is, then that’s pretty disappointing that Melbourne get no benefit.

I’m not sure of the financial arrangements, but I’d be assuming the AFL either directly or indirectly fund the AFL club’s NGA programs, and if that’s the case then I think all those players should be open slather for anyone to draft.

You’d be surprised how amateurish, literally, the AFL is with massive reliance on volunteers and low paid, very thinly spread employees when it comes to junior growth and development. The AFL really rely on existing bodies, be they AFL clubs, or junior leagues and clubs, to do almost all the work.

We are talking one presumably low paid person to liaise across 20+ junior clubs for junior development, Auskick etc. Literally weeks to get simple responses to administrative questions. Apparently it was better pre COVID.
Nothing surprises me anymore. There are a lot of mega organisations that when you dig into operations look totally amateur.

The AFL boys club wouldn’t surprise me at all.

I heard Jason Taylor talk on Mac Andrew. Was pretty disappointed as we have been working with him for some time, since he was 14. Also has not played footy for his whole life like some of the other NGAs. Players like JUH for instance would be playing footy regardless of NGA. Mac Andrew perhaps wouldn’t have had such a pathway.

Last edited:
I heard Jason Taylor talon of on Mac Andrew. Was pretty disappointed as we have been working with him for some time, since he was 14. Also has not played footy for his whole life like some of the other NGAs. Players like JUH for instance would be playing footy regardless of NGA. Mac Andrew perhaps wouldn’t have had such a pathway.
JUH went to Scotch or something right? They'd have a solid footy program I imagine.

It happens every now and again, but with Atley popping up in the news after being delisted by North, I'm reminded that, somehow, that guy has played 234 games of football.

Props to him for reaching a number that few do, but holy hell, he is an absolute nothing player.

It happens every now and again, but with Atley popping up in the news after being delisted by North, I'm reminded that, somehow, that guy has played 234 games of football.

Props to him for reaching a number that few do, but holy hell, he is an absolute nothing player.

Never got injured. Most 200+ game players were either very good players, had specifically memorable moments, or played in successful teams. Atley doesn't fit into any of those. It's hard to find comparisons though. Matt Rosa was one of the best I could find.

Speaking of North, they aren't going to bid on Daicos or Darcy with the #1 pick. A bit less they have to give up in points (picks).

He’s had a pretty good career. Drafted at the end of the first round, looked like a player from day 1 and never looked out of place at the level. Not sure what more you can really expect. We’d have done a lot better if more of our first rounders from 2007-2012 had turned out like he did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never got injured. Most 200+ game players were either very good players, had specifically memorable moments, or played in successful teams. Atley doesn't fit into any of those. It's hard to find comparisons though. Matt Rosa was one of the best I could find.

Speaking of North, they aren't going to bid on Daicos or Darcy with the #1 pick. A bit less they have to give up in points (picks).

Mackay from the crows played more than his fair share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s had a pretty good career. Drafted at the end of the first round, looked like a player from day 1 and never looked out of place at the level. Not sure what more you can really expect. We’d have done a lot better if more of our first rounders from 2007-2012 had turned out like he did.
yeah this

Looked an AFL player from day 1. may never have gotten much better but was defiantly a good solid player who if he was playing in a bit better team would probably still be on their list

Pick 17 and played 200+ games, that is a good solid pick imo

Brent Reilly would be a similar carer wise type player. Pick 12 and 204 games or to an extent Lyndenn Dunn or Angus Monfries

yeah this

Looked an AFL player from day 1. may never have gotten much better but was defiantly a good solid player who if he was playing in a bit better team would probably still be on their list

Pick 17 and played 200+ games, that is a good solid pick imo

Brent Reilly would be a similar carer wise type player. Pick 12 and 204 games or to an extent Lyndenn Dunn or Angus Monfries
People have such a boom and bust attitude towards footy players. Sometimes being a good player means being good enough to play every week.

People have such a boom and bust attitude towards footy players. Sometimes being a good player means being good enough to play every week.

Yes, the role players let the stars do what they do best. You could argue they are just as important, to allow the team to all fit under the salary cap and share the workload around when players have an off game or a run of injury.

I honestly wouldn't know who he was if he bumped into me in the street. Agree, nothing player. Well done to him for eeking out that many games though. I'm sure Kangas fans have some respect for him, but as an opposition supporter, I can honestly say I never once looked at their team sheet and felt even remotely nervous that Atley was playing. In fact I barely noticed his name. I thought he got delisted awhile ago if I'm honest. I'm sure we've had a truckload above the 100 game mark that didn't deserve that many games, but 234? Wowee..

Alex Neal-Bullen, in his own way, could end up with people externally seeing him as a Shaun Atley 200+ gamer (albeit a premiership player)

Alex Neal-Bullen, in his own way, could end up with people externally seeing him as a Shaun Atley 200+ gamer (albeit a premiership player)
If ANB played for North very well could have been delisted and been retired by now.

I love the bloke but so many players careers are dictated by luck of where they are at the time.

Yep, fair call. But he's a premiership player now. So no doubt will be remembered more fondly than Atley ever will be. And Atley might be a much better footballer for all i know. He just never stood out obviously and was never in a successful team.

Anyone who didn't rate ANB I question their general views on football talent. He is tough, quick, strong, runs all day, defensively minded, a decent mark, a good kick, a compact kick with a quick load up and a good leader around the club. He has been like this for most of his career.

Egg on everyones face except mine of course.

I can't believe that at time last year I had to defend Oliver when people wanted him dropped.

If ANB played for North very well could have been delisted and been retired by now.

I love the bloke but so many players careers are dictated by luck of where they are at the time.
Steven Armstrong was de-listed at Melbourne and the next year was a premiership player.

We may have never had seen the best of nev jetta if it weren't for Roos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back