List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread II - IN: CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can say he’s a list clogger or whatever you want to say but end of the day we were the worst pressure team in the league. It’s not flashy, but if we’re getting rid of guys like Dumont, we’re gonna need more guys willing to work hard and do the ugly stuff. I don’t think he’s best 22, but when Mahony went down for the last 2 games of the season we put on literally zero pressure in the front half, except for maybe the 2nd half vs Sydney.

We are 18th, not every player needs to be a world beater, MacPherson is similar to Young in that he’s not too old, can’t get games, but one aspect of his game is something we really lack, so he adds to competition for spots and he he gets his other aspects better he can be a good player for us.

The real reason people don’t like it is because we’ve all done our best 22s and if this guy does get a gig, it will probably be at the expense of one of our young guns. But I’m sorry if they can’t get in the side over MacPherson, they probably do need time in the VFL.

Now onto the future 2nd, if it’s a future 2nd we use in the deal, I think we will try to regain a future 2nd through other pick swaps on draft night so shouldn’t worry straight away saying we lost the trade.

Well, we have the trades from last year to go on. We need to stick some trades were don't end up with the rough end of the pineapple. If you can win a trade negotiation being last spot and having the PSD option then you wouldn't have a lot of optimism for when deals are harder to get done.

You can say he’s a list clogger or whatever you want to say but end of the day we were the worst pressure team in the league. It’s not flashy, but if we’re getting rid of guys like Dumont, we’re gonna need more guys willing to work hard and do the ugly stuff. I don’t think he’s best 22, but when Mahony went down for the last 2 games of the season we put on literally zero pressure in the front half, except for maybe the 2nd half vs Sydney.

We are 18th, not every player needs to be a world beater, MacPherson is similar to Young in that he’s not too old, can’t get games, but one aspect of his game is something we really lack, so he adds to competition for spots and he he gets his other aspects better he can be a good player for us.

The real reason people don’t like it is because we’ve all done our best 22s and if this guy does get a gig, it will probably be at the expense of one of our young guns. But I’m sorry if they can’t get in the side over MacPherson, they probably do need time in the VFL.

Now onto the future 2nd, if it’s a future 2nd we use in the deal, I think we will try to regain a future 2nd through other pick swaps on draft night so shouldn’t worry straight away saying we lost the trade.
Macpherson would be in out best 22 give him 3 years and pick 19 we would be made not to he is 23 yo

Most of us want him, but not for three years if he’s not up to the task. 2 years is pretty fair for a current non-best 22 player at an average club.

All well and good if he wants to bet on himself and stick to his 1 year contract. But would you take the security of 2 guaranteed years in the system over 1? Given the Suns are trying to give him away, you wouldn't think he's in their plans and if he sticks to his existing contract, might be the last one he ever gets at AFL level and last year he's seen in the league.

Well, we have the trades from last year to go on. We need to stick some trades were don't end up with the rough end of the pineapple. If you can win a trade negotiation being last spot and having the PSD option then you wouldn't have a lot of optimism for when deals are harder to get done.

We basically traded Brown for Stepho. After not offering Brown a revised deal when he rejected our first offer.

The unique trade would see the Suns hand over the cherished pick to help clear cap space but also receive a North Melbourne future second-rounder in what amounts to a salary cap dump for the Suns.

Gold Coast didn't see it quite as apathetically.

1633384885032.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At what stage do we say bugger it, make them take Taz as a FA and then walk CCJ to the PSD? We’ve tried to play nice but we don’t owe them anything. Need to be willing to walk away from CCJ imo.

Well, they will need to have Tarrant done before Friday, unless they plan to have him enter the draft. I am sure he will be thrilled with that.

He was worth what the market dictated. We didn't want him and there wasn't exactly a huge demand for his services.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

There was an article after the grand final where he said he had 3 clubs to choose from.

At what stage do we say bugger it, make them take Taz as a FA and then walk CCJ to the PSD? We’ve tried to play nice but we don’t owe them anything. Need to be willing to walk away from CCJ imo.
Late next Wednesday I imagine. If Richmond don't come to their senses before that.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

The McPherson thing is potentially a genuine snag. Even though we all know the deal is primarily around pick #19.

The team would endure a salary dump scenario without dissent if it's 1-2 years but seeing a player who'd currently project in our 10-22 range racking up 3 years on the list might test their patience.

Particularly when length of list tenure has been a hot topic for us the last 2 seasons (Ziebell, Brown, Tarrant).

Unfortunately we may need to walk away if we can't find a GC player willing to take our terms and let someone else wear any potential collateral damage to their group.

The playing group don't have to rubber stamp every deal but they're human and we need their buy-in. They know how hard some of them had to fight for an extended deal and saw their teammates move on that too.

We basically traded Brown for Stepho. After not offering Brown a revised deal when he rejected our first offer.

My point is we still had the picks to do the Stepho trade even if we didn't trade Brown.

It was great we did the Stepho trade and it was a good deal, but Pies had a fire sale and it happened very late during the trade period, never seen something like that before.

I am not being super negative, I just want us to hold our ground. I want to see us not fold, because from the outside looking in we have the reputation of being a trade bunny to deal with.

The McPherson thing is potentially a genuine snag. Even though we all know the deal is primarily around pick #19.

The team would endure a salary dump scenario without dissent if it's 1-2 years but seeing a player who'd currently project in our 10-22 range racking up 3 years on the list might test their patience.

Particularly when length of list tenure has been a hot topic for us the last 2 seasons (Ziebell, Brown, Tarrant).

Unfortunately we may need to walk away if we can't find a GC player willing to take our terms and let someone else wear any potential collateral damage to their group.

The playing group don't have to rubber stamp every deal but they're human and we need their buy-in. They know how hard some of them had to fight for an extended deal and saw their teammates move on that too.

I haven't analysed the list, what do outgoing options look like in year 2 and 3? Unless we think we will struggle to find people to move off, I think 3 years is fine if we think he is going to be a decent player.

The player doesn’t want that. He wants his new club to do a deal so his old club is left with something, and not completely nuked. You can see the hate towards CCJ now - imagine if he left for nix.

Spot on - Aaron hall couldn’t get 2 and we give 3 to a player who can’t get a game at a club that’s never played a final?

I haven't analysed the list, what do outgoing options look like in year 2 and 3? Unless we think we will struggle to find people to move off, I think 3 years is fine if we think he is going to be a decent player.

We appeared to play extra hardball with Ziebell, Brown and Tarrant over that 2023 list space so I'd guess we're projecting things to be very tight for list spots around then if all emerging talent develops as hoped.

Remember that over the 2019-2021 period the list managers appear to have cleared out every contract signed before their tenure that they didn't want to extend.

Based on this I think 2024 is a bridge too far unless the deal was sweetened even more, we're talking #19 and a future 2nd or something for our future 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back