List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

18 clubs seem to think hes the same.

Every club in the afl wants intercept KPD. They are super important. So why didnt he get a go somewhere whilst being the best intercept guy outside the afl. Maybe its the only quality part to his game. Maybe all his intercept work was done on blokes smaller than him.

Just seems folly to get upset at not drafting someone who didnt get drafted at all. And yeah clubs do get it wrong, but for every Mick Barlow theres about a dozen guys who failed
Once you are mature age it's a battle for anyone to get a gig on an AFL list, the vast majority of the time they all draft kids they'll delist in a couple of years.

Folly everywhere, I just don't see it as a gamble you delist late pick draftees and rookies every 5 seconds.

Once you are mature age it's a battle for anyone to get a gig on an AFL list, the vast majority of the time they all draft kids they'll delist in a couple of years.

Folly everywhere, I just don't see it as a gamble you delist late pick draftees and rookies every 5 seconds.

I dont think thats entirely true anymore. If you are good enough and have AFL traits you xan get a chance. Aleer, Dean and Skinner all got a shot last year.

Whats Phillips kicking like? Whats he like on taller opponents? Can he play one on one? Whats he like when he gets isolated?

I dont think thats entirely true anymore. If you are good enough and have AFL traits you xan get a chance. Aleer, Dean and Skinner all got a shot last year.

Whats Phillips kicking like? Whats he like on taller opponents? Can he play one on one? Whats he like when he gets isolated?
Doesn't look too bad from the vision I've seen, of course who could compete with the amazing footskills & defensive craft of Jonas 'n Clurey though m7.

Doesn't look too bad from the vision I've seen, of course who could compete with the amazing footskills & defensive craft of Jonas 'n Clurey though m7.

I mean, Jonas has made 3 AA squads…

1. Phillips won the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal.The award is handed to the most promising young player in the VFL. Phillips averaged 19.6 disposals and 9.8 marks in 2022 to earn full-back honours in the VFL Team of the Year. You can safely assume Phillips has AFL traits. Enough traits so it would be worth seeing how he would go being in a full-time system with a pre-season in the gym and training with an AFL squad, some more run under his belt and more learnings about the game.

2. Saying that 18 clubs passed him by is rhetoric. Its a joke.
    • Adelaide After having to match the bid for Michalanney they were trying to fix their midfield with their remaining picks. They were never going to pick another tall defender. One could question the smartitude of their list managment team anyway because they should have nominated Isaac Keeler as a Next-Generation Academy prospect instead of drafting Bond.
    • Brisbane had two father sons to snare which they did with picks 2 and 12.
    • GCS had pick 6 and their priority was the best available midfielder.
    • Essendon picked Tsatas with 5, Lewis Hayes with 25, and after that picked the Davey twins with their two remaining draft picks. Phillips was never going to get a look in their. He wasn't overlooked he just wasn't a priority for them, especially after drafting Hayes.
    • Western Bulldogs picked Busslinger with 13 so a second KPD was not going to be a priority for them with their last two picks of 24 and 39 with other needs to address.
So we are down to 13 teams who may actually have overlooked him. I could go through them all to dissect whether Phillips was really 'overlooked' by them but I can't be bothered. My point is made.

Whether it was Phillips that got overlooked though, or one of the other prospects we ignored. A REAL KPD was our most obvious, immediate need, particularly after it was clear we were acquiring JHF (midfield) and Rioli (small forward). The choices we made after that in the post season have likely screwed us in that area of need for the next couple of seasons at least.

1. Phillips won the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal.The award is handed to the most promising young player in the VFL. Phillips averaged 19.6 disposals and 9.8 marks in 2022 to earn full-back honours in the VFL Team of the Year. You can safely assume Phillips has AFL traits. Enough traits so it would be worth seeing how he would go being in a full-time system with a pre-season in the gym and training with an AFL squad, some more run under his belt and more learnings about the game.

• Adelaide After having to match the bid for Michalanney they were trying to fix their midfield with their remaining picks. They were never going to pick another tall defender. One could question the smartitude of their list managment team anyway because they should have nominated Isaac Keeler as a Next-Generation Academy prospect instead of drafting Bond.
    • Essendon picked Tsatas with 5, Lewis Hayes with 25, and after that picked the Davey twins with their two remaining draft picks. Phillips was never going to get a look in their. He wasn't overlooked he just wasn't a priority for them, especially after drafting Hayes.
    • Western Bulldogs picked Busslinger with 13 so a second KPD was not going to be a priority for them with their last two picks of 24 and 39 with other needs to address.
So we are down to 13 teams who may actually have overlooked him. I could go through them all to dissect whether Phillips was really 'overlooked' by them but I can't be bothered. My point is made.

Whether it was Phillips that got overlooked though, or one of the other prospects we ignored. A REAL KPD was our most obvious, immediate need, particularly after it was clear we were acquiring JHF (midfield) and Rioli (small forward). The choices we made after that in the post season have likely screwed us in that area of need for the next couple of seasons at least.
Thanks for that Mrs Phillips 👍

Its not a joke. Every club had picks. Every club had rookie picks. He didn't get selected. Other clubs chose speculative talls, other clubs chose other mature aged guys over him. It is what it is.

At this point, 100 odd recruiters all would have watched him play and none of them made a strong enough case for him to get picked up. Has anybody actually seen him play? Like a full game, not just a 90 second highlight video on youtube? There's clearly parts of his game that every club doesn't like.

We literally got a real KPD with our last pick, and what looks like a more ready to go KPD with our first.

Does anyone actually think we are going to win a premiership next season? Whether we pick a 23yo mature ager (who every club has decided isn't good enough), or whether we pick an 18yo development pick, does it really matter? Is one over the other going to have any effect over our chances of winning a flag in 2023?

Its not a joke. Every club had picks. Every club had rookie picks. He didn't get selected. Other clubs chose speculative talls, other clubs chose other mature aged guys over him. It is what it is.

At this point, 100 odd recruiters all would have watched him play and none of them made a strong enough case for him to get picked up. Has anybody actually seen him play? Like a full game, not just a 90 second highlight video on youtube? There's clearly parts of his game that every club doesn't like.

We literally got a real KPD with our last pick, and what looks like a more ready to go KPD with our first.

Does anyone actually think we are going to win a premiership next season? Whether we pick a 23yo mature ager (who every club has decided isn't good enough), or whether we pick an 18yo development pick, does it really matter? Is one over the other going to have any effect over our chances of winning a flag in 2023?
At 78kg Marshall will be a real KPD in about 3+ years time. Even his Port namesake would ragdoll him right now. McCallum is ready to go at 82kg and 193cm? We will see - I look forward to watching him play on the likes of Hawkins and Cameron in the coming years. And the real KPD we got with our last pick would have joined Phillips as the player every club decided wasn't good enough if we hadn't picked him.

I am not stuck on Phillips. I am stuck on the fact that IMO we didn't address our 195cm+ KPD issues until the last pick of the draft with a project pick.

But you are right. Its a waste of my time caring about the strength of our list in 2023. Why give a s**t? I'll save it for those years only where we are premiership favourites, like we were going into 2020.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just wanted Port to finally draft key defenders and add some height.

I feel we did that with a 198cm+ key defender and a 192cm defender and 203cm kf

I don’t care that Kyle is a project player, as long as we actually use late picks to turn over and add tall project players like we did this year.

While in theory it would have been nice to add a tall key defender who would be ready ASAP but it’s better to add a tall key defender who’s a better prospect than a worse prospect just because he might play sooner.

We went from our key defenders under 25 being

Pasini - 193cm

To

Pasini - 193cm
McCallum- 192/193?cm
Marshall - 198cm

In one off-season.

I think that’s a good outcome imo.

If McCallum had been the tallest player we drafted I would have called it a bad draft, but he was the shortest and I feel we addressed needs.

I just wanted Port to finally draft key defenders and add some height.

I feel we did that with a 198cm+ key defender and a 192cm defender and 203cm kf

I don’t care that Kyle is a project player, as long as we actually use late picks to turn over and add tall project players like we did this year.

While in theory it would have been nice to add a tall key defender who would be ready ASAP but it’s better to add a tall key defender who’s a better prospect than a worse prospect just because he might play sooner.

We went from our key defenders under 25 being

Pasini - 193cm

To

Pasini - 193cm
McCallum- 192/193?cm
Marshall - 198cm

In one off-season.

I think that’s a good outcome imo.

If McCallum had been the tallest player we drafted I would have called it a bad draft, but he was the shortest and I feel we addressed needs.
His father Scott McCallum, is an AFL Tasmania Hall of Fame member and holds the games record for Clarence with 315 senior appearances, in a career spanning 22 years and over 350 senior games, Scott McCallum forged a reputation as one of the toughest, most determined and hard working Tasmanian footballers of the modern era. Starting at Clarence as a 16-year old in 1990.

Scott McCallum managed the extraordinary achievement of rising through the ranks from Under 17’s to the Clarence senior side all in the space of one season.

Was thinking about Tom Scully and Kyle Marshall being taken at picks 53 & 59 respectively and what are the chances they'll turn out in time to be good AFL players. I have a low expectation of picks taken that late.....bit of a free hit and if they come off then it's a huge unexpected bonus.

Looking at the ten AFL drafts from 2012 to 2021 inclusive, the following good to very good KPFs and KPDs were taken after pick 40 or as rookies:

2012 - Tim Membrey (53), Tom Jonas (rookie)

2013 - Tom Barrass (43), Alir Alir (44), Ben Brown (47), James Sicily (56)

2014 - Oscar McDonald (53), Dougal Howard (56), Harris Andrews (61 Academy), Jeremy Finlayson (85)

2015 - Sam Collins (55)

2016 - Nick Larkey (73)

2017 - Alex Keith (rookie)

2018 - Brodie Mihocek (rookie)

2019 - None yet

2020 - Pisani (rookie - unknown yet but expect he'll be good)

2021 - None yet.

It's pretty thin after 2014 but that could be due to other factors such as more midfielders drafted after pick 40, less KPDs/KPFs drafted overall etc .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back