Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Context for those who suggest tsatas is "just" an outside mid.

He averaged over 30 touches in nab league 🧲 and 12 of these were contested on average 💪

Josh ward averaged 30p from limited NAB league games (COVID) and averaged the same clip of 12 contested.

While they play differently in terms of style, their numbers are very similar. Tsatas has the game breaking clearance ability and ward has the run you into the ground ability.

No one was crowing about ward being an outside receiver last year 🤷

If I remember correctly Wards' contested ability was called into question on here - because he had only moved into the midfield in his draft season (wing prior), and because of his size.

But it is clear from watching both players that they are both fairly complete midfielders, whose strengths lean more towards their outside game.

I'm interested to see how people rated Ward compared to Tsatas. IMO Ward's "tape" looked more impressive to me, but mainly because of his cleaner ball use.

Perhaps semantics but just for my understanding is the nga rule inside 40 which means pick 40 also can’t be matched?
“from 2022 clubs can only match selections on NGA prospects after pick 40.

Should a team use Pick 41 or later to select an NGA product like Mackenzie instead, then the Saints will be able to match the bid”

Link: How does the AFL Draft points system work?

Last edited:

If I remember correctly Wards' contested ability was called into question on here - because he had only moved into the midfield in his draft season (wing prior), and because of his size.

But it is clear from watching both players that they are both fairly complete midfielders, whose strengths lean more towards their outside game.

I'm interested to see how people rated Ward compared to Tsatas. IMO Ward's "tape" looked more impressive to me, but mainly because of his cleaner ball use.
I personally rated ward's ability as a first possession mid.

Imo tsatas above Ward on talent. Classic higher ceiling lower floor situation. Ward could very easily be a better player long term however.

I feel like I’m repeating myself here, but I have spoken to scouts who are connected to different AFL clubs. Hawthorn were very keen on trading up to Pick 2 when the Eagles held it, as Sam and the footy dept were/are very keen on adding one of Wardlaw/Tsatas.
Both Tsatas and Wardlaw have long been considered the best 2 mids in the open draft, and Wardlaw is likely going to either land at North or Essendon if North take Tsatas.

If Tsatas somehow slides to Pick 6 we’ll take him, simply because the player we’d have taken with Pick 2(3) will still be on the boards, and that’s how we draft - best available.
I apologise for making you repeat yourself but I appreciate that you did. I read most posts but I clearly did not read the time(s) you stated the above.
My opinion is that Wardlaw is the prize pick in this draft. Even if we got WC pick, North would have taken Wardlaw before us… doubly so as they lost Horne-Francis. So trading up, and the loss in picks that would make it happen, was not IMO worth it.

I’ll take your comment on faith that you know …. we’d have taken (Tsadis) with Pick 2(3).

Last edited:

The most impressive thing about Ward‘s play (and this is before he was drafted) was that he assessed the contested situation and saw how it could play out. He is not the first in… but he is the guy who, when the situation is right, ensures the ball is out to the teams advantage. When it was time to go in, he did and took the contact.

Tsadas is a breakaway runner, which is a very valuable attribute… which I see best used on a wing.

The Hawks centre work has been atrocious. Our most experienced and “valuable“ people have been in there and lost year in year out. We need to have a new method in the centre. If we go backwards a step, so be it.

Sam Mitchell was a below par AFL athlete with the AFL IQ and skills near that of Diesel Williams. Tell me Sam does not consider inside IQ as a primary attribute, and the ways to combat it, as his primary goal and I’ll show you the evidence that says otherwise. There are few players who can dominate centre stoppages without help. To win the centre over a game, the group has to work together. Sam intimately knows this. Unless Tsadas is comparable to Judd… a speedy guy who runs both ways and is ready to take contact …. I’d prefer McKenzie.

IMO Sam wants inside IQ from his inside midfielders, or those that can stop the oppositions talent. He has already developed Finn as a player whom he would hate to play against and saw Newk‘s talent in both areas before Newk’s first game for Box Hill.

The engine room needs 2 types of players: those that are great defensively and those that are creative offensively. Preferably you would have both attributes in one player = Jack Steele*, Newk, and hopefully CMac….but failing that… find the smart players (GWS did not do this) that are willing deffenders (Moore, Ward, … not sure about Wingard as a defender) or help create the defensive players = Nash, Finn, who are great defensively but can help and grow offensively. But none of it works unless the group works well together. This is where Cam McKenzie shines for me. He knew he was not the No1 and so fit in perfectly to help Ashcroft be the highlight.

Cam McKenzie will fit in beautifully on the offensive side and will initially be a “willing“ defensive player. As he grows into his AFL body he could become a Jack Steele* style perfect inside mid.

* yes I think Jack Steele is a near complete inside-mid AFL footballer. I believe that if a team had 3 of him in the middle then they would win more clearances than not, and never lose clearances with breakaways that lost the WB the 2021 GF.

edit: fixed names.

Last edited:

Ward. Because clean possession is everything at the highest level.

Tsatas will have attributes we can utilise, but I think Ward looks the more consistent player at this stage.

I apologise for making you repeat yourself but I appreciate that you did. I read most posts but I clearly did not read the time(s) you stated the above.
My opinion is that Wardlaw is the prize pick in this draft. Even if we got WC pick, North would have taken Wardlaw before us… doubly so as they lost Horne-Francis. So trading up, and the loss in picks that would make it happen, was not IMO worth it.

I’ll take your comment on faith that you know …. we’d have taken (Tsadis) with Pick 2(3).
I’m starting to think you’re just trolling when you’re deliberately spelling his name wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because his clearance work is bigger on the inside than on the outside?
The pun is on me…and I missed it….. I kept unintentionally writing Tsadis…= Dr Who

Instead of Tsad-as… as in SYL getting touching over spelling a name slightly wrong.

sorry… Move along …move along …. Move along

Last edited:
simon cowell facepalm GIF

Honestly I'm not sure if I want Tsadis if his interviews were so unimpressive or deterring that he's slipping from a potential top 3 pick to somewhere around 7 or 8. Could be the type of guy with an attitude that disrupts a pretty together young playing group with players like Jeath, Scrimshore, Dae and Newkum.

Hopefully leaders like Sizzly, Louis, Frossed and More can help keep him in line.

Where has it been reported that his interviews were poor?

Just genuinely curious.

The whole post was a pisstake.

The only thing you could possibly point at was Tsatas saying he believes he's the best player in the pool. Not that there's any issue at all with him thinking that.

Where has it been reported that his interviews were poor?

Just genuinely curious.
That post is just a play on Aleet’s consistent disregard for how players names are spelt.

Context for those who suggest tsatas is "just" an outside mid.

He averaged over 30 touches in nab league 🧲 and 12 of these were contested on average 💪

Josh ward averaged 30p from limited NAB league games (COVID) and averaged the same clip of 12 contested.

While they play differently in terms of style, their numbers are very similar. Tsatas has the game breaking clearance ability and ward has the run you into the ground ability.

No one was crowing about ward being an outside receiver last year 🤷

I’ll be shocked if the bombers don’t take him.

I’d prefer him over Wardlaw personally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back