Prediction 2022 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Close to what I'd have, and shows we're building a pretty good and mostly balanced list...

FB: Heath Chapman / Griffin Logue / Brandon Walker
HB: Hayden Young / Brennan Cox / Nathan O’Driscoll
C: Jordan Clark / Neil Erasmus / Matt Johnson
HF: Lachlan Schultz / Jye Amiss / Mitchell Crowden
FF: Liam Henry / Josh Treacy / Michael Frederick
FOL: Sean Darcy / Andrew Brayshaw / Caleb Serong
I/C: Lloyd Meek / Bailey Banfield / Will Brodie / Sam Sturt

Western, Benning and Worner the other players on our list in this age group.

Close to what I'd have, and shows we're building a pretty good and mostly balanced list...

FB: Heath Chapman / Griffin Logue / Brandon Walker
HB: Hayden Young / Brennan Cox / Nathan O’Driscoll
C: Jordan Clark / Neil Erasmus / Matt Johnson
HF: Lachlan Schultz / Jye Amiss / Mitchell Crowden
FF: Liam Henry / Josh Treacy / Michael Frederick
FOL: Sean Darcy / Andrew Brayshaw / Caleb Serong
I/C: Lloyd Meek / Bailey Banfield / Will Brodie / Sam Sturt

Western, Benning and Worner the other players on our list in this age group.
It’s a pretty good list, you’d think they could put the players in their actual position though, Clark on a wing when he plays HBF in the actual team, same with Henry in a forward pocket when he plays wing, put NOD on the bench, Clark at HB Henry to the wing and Sturt in the forward line!

It looks to me like Longmuir has him as a clear best 22. We have virtually our entire list available.
Agree Acres is almost a dead cert to be picked for R1. However, his form line is always so volatile and his pre season is peak Acres - which in turn is not as sublime as many others.

So given his history of going quiet, or worse stinking it up, Tucker’s return from injury could cause him selection problems not too far down the track.

Agree Acres is almost a dead cert to be picked for R1. However, his form line is always so volatile and his pre season is peak Acres - which in turn is not as sublime as many others.

So given his history of going quiet, or worse stinking it up, Tucker’s return from injury could cause him selection problems not too far down the track.
In terms of "going quiet" I'm not sure Tucker is the player I would be expecting to get a better result from. He needs a good year himself.

It’s a pretty good list, you’d think they could put the players in their actual position though, Clark on a wing when he plays HBF in the actual team, same with Henry in a forward pocket when he plays wing, put NOD on the bench, Clark at HB Henry to the wing and Sturt in the forward line!

People are going to hate this but it’s missing a 197cm + key Defender!

Is Clarko acceptable?
Speaking Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

In terms of "going quiet" I'm not sure Tucker is the player I would be expecting to get a better result from. He needs a good year himself.
You may be right but over a 10 game block I’d trust Tucker more than Acres. Other than for that more recent period in the backline, Tucker didn’t use to put in howlers - yes he can be prone to going quiet though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is Melbourne's 197cm+ Key Defender?

People get a little obsessed with around 2-5cm of height don’t they? I’ve been guilty in the past tbf.

Whilst that team looks alright it’s still probably almost time to add another key defender at the end of the season imo given:
  • Hamling is no longer best 22 and is out of contract next season at 30.
  • There’s simply no way we play Chapman as a key defender again unless we’re beyond desperate- he’s too good elsewhere.

I find these under 25 teams a bit misleading tbh. Pearce is 26 currently - get him fit for a sustained period and we may get 5-6 seasons from him. We could draft one or two more key defenders and give them 3-4 years of development within that time - if the right players are available at the right time (probably second round tbh) it’s exactly what I’d expect us to do.

Whilst that team looks alright it’s still probably almost time to add another key defender at the end of the season imo given:
The argument against though is that you can trade in ready made key defenders if you need to. I see little benefit in drafting someone to develop who would be behind plenty to get an AFL debut.

I think we'd be better off investing in forwards in this year's draft (if possible). Unlike our back line there is an opportunity for a draftee to jump past almost everyone in our forward line and get an opportunity. And the depth they'd be competing against aren't experienced bodies like we have in defence. I'm hopeful that starts to change as Treacy/Sturt/Amiss/Benning play and eventually secure their spots in the B22 but creating pressure for spots like we have in defence is great. The wing is the other spot but given the huge number of options I'm hoping we get clarity around our best options as this year progresses.

The argument against though is that you can trade in ready made key defenders if you need to. I see little benefit in drafting someone to develop who would be behind plenty to get an AFL debut.

I think we'd be better off investing in forwards in this year's draft (if possible). Unlike our back line there is an opportunity for a draftee to jump past almost everyone in our forward line and get an opportunity. And the depth they'd be competing against aren't experienced bodies like we have in defence. I'm hopeful that starts to change as Treacy/Sturt/Amiss/Benning play and eventually secure their spots in the B22 but creating pressure for spots like we have in defence is great. The wing is the other spot but given the huge number of options I'm hoping we get clarity around our best options as this year progresses.

I’m not sure an adequate key defender from another AFL club chooses Freo currently tbh. Cox, Logue and Pearce should be around a while (4-5 years for Pearce if he stays fit minimum - the others are younger). Having said that though the three of them are probably best 22 so they aren’t enough from a list depth perspective. I’ve seen enough list management over my time following AFL to see that Hamling probably won’t be offered a contract in 2023 if he’s 30 and not best 22 - at best he might get one year.

We’re talking taking one or two KPDs over 3-4 drafts here. Probably looking at 15-20 players coming in the door over that time - we’ve been sitting at about league average lately bringing in four draftees seven of the last eight drafts (2017 being the outlier) - on top of that there’s been either one or two new rookies each off season. We’ve been reasonably consistent with the numbers brought in, rebuild or not, so I wouldn’t expect those numbers to change drastically.

100% our main draft investment (ie our higher draft selections) should be focused on forwards, maybe wing, if possible btw. That doesn’t mean we don’t have other needs - I still expect us to top up the midfield at times during that period too.

If Hamling is playing well at 30 he is an ideal candidate for a 1-2 year contract. If he isn't best 22 he can mentor Peel based defenders.

I don’t disagree with this but at the same time I’d be surprised if the club offers Hamling another contract at 30 when he isn’t best 22.

I’ve seen too many still-capable players over 28 delisted or forced to retire to think otherwise. For every five that are delisted or retire, one would get a contract (excluding ruckmen - they seem to stay on lists longer).

I don’t disagree with this but at the same time I’d be surprised if the club offers Hamling another contract at 30 when he isn’t best 22.

I’ve seen too many still-capable players over 28 delisted or forced to retire to think otherwise. For every five that are delisted or retire, one would get a contract (excluding ruckmen - they seem to stay on lists longer).
You must have a short memory or be severely underestimating how good a player Hamling is. He will force his way back (should replace Wilson) at some stage and will prove you and a few others wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back