List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not sure what the exact situation with haynes money is but its been posted around the traps its nearly $1 mil or something like that
Is this a backended deal or has his contract already been extended to push money back ?

If these are the situation im thinking he wouldnt be wanting to delay what he is already owed and dont think the club would ask him to
thats a very good way to lose players goodwill and wouldnt be great going foward.
I believe it is largely backended ... it would be between the club and player to extend his contract and move a bit of money .... respect and responsibility

I assume it's similar to Bowes in having pushed back $ due to the COVID TPP cuts. I'd assume there must be an element of backending in there too.

Personally from an outsiders point of view if GWS did a "Bowes" to Haynes who has been a loyal servant and getting to the end of his career that would be a terrible example to the team and would diminish the loyalty the clubs preach . Haynes will be 31 in May 2023 and contrated for 2 more years
Not too sure you would want to extend him now at that age

Personally from an outsiders point of view if GWS did a "Bowes" to Haynes who has been a loyal servant and getting to the end of his career that would be a terrible example to the team and would diminish the loyalty the clubs preach . Haynes will be 31 in May 2023 and contrated for 2 more years
Not too sure you would want to extend him now at that age
I would agree. I guess there is a difference being actively shopped (as Bowes has been) and a more generic "we're open to a trade"; albeit, if it ends up at the same outcome it might be difficult for the player to discern the nuanced difference.

We could always try a pre-emptive trade with West Coast for #2. Say #3 + #15 might persuade them. Gives them a better hand once any Port trade is factored in. If we are prepared to outlay that to get one of Cadman or Wardlaw (presuming we see Sheezel as iffy).

Everyone's gotten uptight over a possible Port-Eagles-Norths trade, but the fact remains that the 2 players Norths take with 1-2 could be exactly the same as the 2 players that go 1-2 with Norths-Eagles anyway.

Is it just the JHF request to go home has ignited concern about Sheezel's potential to do the same? If our recruiters are concerned, then they'll go with someone else: Tsatas, Mackenzie or Phillipou the next most likely I should think.

Everyone's gotten uptight over a possible Port-Eagles-Norths trade, but the fact remains that the 2 players Norths take with 1-2 could be exactly the same as the 2 players that go 1-2 with Norths-Eagles anyway.

Is it just the JHF request to go home has ignited concern about Sheezel's potential to do the same? If our recruiters are concerned, then they'll go with someone else: Tsatas, Mackenzie or Phillipou the next most likely I should think.
Eagles wont trade #2+Rioli for #8+F1
They will want more and rightfully so
they will have to offer a player plus another later pick

We could always try a pre-emptive trade with West Coast for #2. Say #3 + #15 might persuade them. Gives them a better hand once any Port trade is factored in. If we are prepared to outlay that to get one of Cadman or Wardlaw (presuming we see Sheezel as iffy).
Increasingly I get the feeling we are interested in trading up. Perhaps we are worried about sheezel and think the other two will be gone by our pick as you suggest

I’m ok with it. I don’t think we need quantity, we need quality. My only concern would be cadman doesn’t improve us round 1 (not a knock on him, just think he is a longer term prospect) like sheezel would

Increasingly I get the feeling we are interested in trading up. Perhaps we are worried about sheezel and think the other two will be gone by our pick as you suggest

I’m ok with it. I don’t think we need quantity, we need quality. My only concern would be cadman doesn’t improve us round 1 (not a knock on him, just think he is a longer term prospect) like sheezel would
Sheezel is red flag city.
Wardlaw or Cadman...we just can't get forced to take Sheezel if he wants to stay in Vic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What makes you say they don't want to stay home also? With due respect I see all of them as flight risks until proven otherwise.
The board seems to be reacting pretty strongly to Sheezel's jewish faith as a sign he'd want to be close to family but I'm probably a bit more alligned with you on this

The board seems to be reacting pretty strongly to Sheezel's jewish faith
Yep and that makes me uncomfortable I'm sure all players (of all faiths) in their hearts would prefer to stay home so after thinking about it as a club all we can do is ask the question and than put more support around them when we draft them.

After that not much more we can do.

What makes you say they don't want to stay home also? With due respect I see all of them as flight risks until proven otherwise.
Indeed. Without having the ability to do comprehensive background and character checks, we're all just making guesses about who is more likely to be a flight risk.

If the club has formed a view, that's a different matter. It's still an educated guess - as we can see from recent draftees having abandoned ship. If the club decides to shift up to get a certain player, that's fine. Although we'll spit chips if they then leave in 2 years time. If they instead keep the 4 picks inside 20, then so be it. We potentially lose guys in the future due to salary cap issues, so we would appear to be taking a divergent strategy than Gold Coast, which seems to be focussing on a lesser number of highly talented players surrounded by journeymen support. Neither approach is right or wrong, until 15 years time when we can judge if one clearly worked and one didn't - but law of probabilities would indicate that neither will have brought a flag!

Yep and that makes me uncomfortable I'm sure all players (of all faiths) in their hearts would prefer to stay home so after thinking about it as a club all we can do is ask the question and than put more support around them when we draft them.

After that not much more we can do.
Yeah agreed as long as the club does everything they can predraft to get as clear a picture as possible about him and if they feel fine with the risk and can support him then I can live with that. If we look at on field, Sheezel might be the best fit for us at 3, when it comes to ability to impact immediately, top talent and position of need, Cadman probably the only one you could argue is a better fit

Although Eagles have said that they wouldn't entertain the proposed trade with Port, I wonder if they're saving their powder for a hail mary pass at Luke Jackson.?

Playstation trade to help out Port, Eagles & Norths:

GWS trade #12 to Port for Todd Marshall (finally hitting his straps as a 24-year-old, welcome back to NSW). No need for Cadman.
That allows Port to trade #8 + #12 to WCE for #2. WCE could potentially draft both Busslinger & Hewett at those picks.
Port trade #2 & Future 1st to Norths for JHF.

Norths likely to take Cadman & Wardlaw; leaves us to take Sheezel or if we perceive he's a flight risk Tsatas or Mackenzie.

But if Sheezel at #3, we take Hollands if still there at #15, and we have Marshall as an experienced KPF. Two guys who can make an immediate impact, plus a quality mid to develop. If not Hollands, then Olli Hotton, or Lachlan Cowan. And still have #19 for someone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back