List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA Pt2: Electric Boogaloo

Remove this Banner Ad

GC flew all the way over to Margaret River on Tue to meet with Ginbey and his family. You don’t do this unless you have a very strong interest.

I think he will end up at GC. They have been keen for a while.
Grew up as a huge Freo fan with a signed football from his idol Fyfe.

Although he is a surfer, so he might be happy on the GC.

Carlton currently: #10, #29, #49, #64, #74
Fremantle currently: #30, #43, #44, #65, #70, #77

Based on current ladder positions, the 2023 draft -

Carlton: #10, #29, #60, #66 (no 3rd round, 2x 4th round)
Fremantle: #20, #39, #48, #57 (no 1st round, 2x 3rd round)

Assuming Carlton's trade is to move #49/#64/#74 into #30 then I'd imagine it would involve:
#30 for #49 and F2

Then we would have 2x future seconds and could offer a trade for North's F2 to buy into the draft earlier this year.

But I think I'd prefer to hold it. If Freo are throwing a blanket over the players in the 25 to 60 bracket for this draft then picking first at #30 or #43 isn't much of a difference - but the extra second next year could be good trade bait in for a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton currently: #10, #29, #49, #64, #74
Fremantle currently: #30, #43, #44, #65, #70, #77

Based on current ladder positions, the 2023 draft -

Carlton: #10, #29, #60, #66 (no 3rd round, 2x 4th round)
Fremantle: #20, #39, #48, #57 (no 1st round, 2x 3rd round)

Assuming Carlton's trade is to move #49/#64/#74 into #30 then I'd imagine it would involve:
#30 for #49 and F2

Then we would have 2x future seconds and could offer a trade for North's F2 to buy into the draft earlier this year.

But I think I'd prefer to hold it. If Freo are throwing a blanket over the players in the 25 to 60 bracket for this draft then picking first at #30 or #43 isn't much of a difference - but the extra second next year could be good trade bait in for a player.
I get the feeling freo want to get more into next years draft. A F2 would be nice. Having 2 F2 & F3 going into next years draft is a good position

I get the feeling freo want to get more into next years draft. A F2 would be nice. Having 2 F2 & F3 going into next years draft is a good position

If the deal is spun that it's a future second and a third for a much earlier second this draft it's not so bad for Carlton.
If it's a nineteen spot upgrade on their pick for the cost of their future second round pick it's not so good for Carlton.

I too get the impression that Freo wants to move into 2023 draft, I think a lot of clubs are bailing out of the 2022 draft

I honestly fail to remember a draft that appears so universally disliked by pretty much every recruiting team. Will be interesting to track how this one pans out over time

Is it that there is less talent, or is it that there is less exposed form from the draft crop due to not having much visibility over the 16s etc? So this draft is potentially riskier (but also more chances of having a gem slip through to us)

Is it that there is less talent, or is it that there is less exposed form from the draft crop due to not having much visibility over the 16s etc? So this draft is potentially riskier (but also more chances of having a gem slip through to us)

That's what I think. Interrupting a young man's training at sixteen for half a year will have significant impacts by the time the age group reach eighteen. The talls will look weak, slower, less endurance. Holding up the metaphorical transparent marking key to measure them will have the players fall short of expectations. Scouts will rule them not first round quality, projections on current 16s and 17s will track higher.

I wouldn't expect to draft Lance Franklin at #40 this year but you could get a guy like Todd Marshall at #40.

When did this happen?
““We recently upgraded Lachie Schultz from the rookie list to the senior list, so that means we have 32 players currently on the senior list,” Walls said.”

From the Freo website.

Edit: also now allowed 3 Cat-B rookies!

“If the players are unselected in the National Draft, clubs have the option to add them as Category B rookies. Each club is permitted to recruit up to three Category B rookies.”

When did this happen?
““We recently upgraded Lachie Schultz from the rookie list to the senior list, so that means we have 32 players currently on the senior list,” Walls said.”

From the Freo website.

Edit: also now allowed 3 Cat-B rookies!

“If the players are unselected in the National Draft, clubs have the option to add them as Category B rookies. Each club is permitted to recruit up to three Category B rookies.”
Not surprised, Shultz being a rookie was crazy considering his last two seasons. He deserved a main list spot more than any new draftee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back