Unofficial Preview 2022 Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure Voss at 182cm is what we need as a defender, particularly as he is slow - which he confirmed in a recent radio interview.
Agree with the fact he is not overly fast but he can play though and has a lot going for him including the fact he is capable at a high state level
STRENGTHS: Ball winning and clearance ability, disposal efficiency, tackling pressure, Strength and endurance
IMPROVEMENTS: Speed and athleticism

Last edited:
what are Johnsons flaws?
I never said "flaw", just you.
Tank IMO, it's there in the first sentence of my post.
All players have areas they can improve on their game and another pre-season in an elite environment should only be beneficial regardless of who it is.
Even Pendles at 34 worked on his speed pre-season

Last edited:
Yep, But at 30 early next year I would not consider that "he’ll be around long term"
Good players are playing well into their 30s these days. At least 3 more years after this for Mihocek seem likely to me and you'll be looking at an 8 year senior career.

Recruiting blokes at 25 is fine. I'd imagine blokes that are recruited at that age have a higher success rate and play more games than the average draftee.

Agree with the fact he is not overly fast but he can play though and has a lot going for him including the fact he is capable at a high level
STRENGTHS: Ball winning and clearance ability, disposal efficiency, tackling pressure, Strength and endurance
IMPROVEMENTS: Speed and athleticism

I'm taking it from the horses mouth - Voss made the point himself that he lacks pace.

Good players are playing well into their 30s these days. At least 3 more years after this for Mihocek seem likely to me and you'll be looking at an 8 year senior career.

Recruiting blokes at 25 is fine. I'd imagine blokes that are recruited at that age have a higher success rate and play more games than the average draftee.
My comment was based solely on him turning 30 at the beginning of next year.
I agree with your assessment of an 8 year career being likely from age 25 for him and have no issue with us recruiting a 25 year old.

Last edited:
Tank IMO, it's there in the first sentence of my post.
All players have areas they can improve on their game and another season to increase his endurance base will be beneficial.

He was on the verge of selection with some excellent VFL performances where his tank was not an issue.
He could have comfortably held down a spot in the 22 if he repeated that level of performance in the seniors. So to that extent tank is not a drawback.

Last edited:
He was on the verge of selection with some excellent VFL performances where his tank was not an issue.
He could have comfortably held down a spot in the 22 if repeated that level of performance in the seniors. So to that extent tank is not a drawback.
Tank is probably the main reason Wilson was selected over Johnson

He could have comfortably held down a spot in the 22 if repeated that level of performance in the seniors. So to that extent tank is not a drawback.
I've got no idea on his tank, but I think consistency of contest was probably the reason he hadn't been selected yet.

I'm taking it from the horses mouth - Voss made the point himself that he lacks pace.
I don't doubt it but at no point have I said Voss is fast or slow for that matter.
My initial post clearly states I would prefer to recruit a player with more height regardless of position otherwise best available.
Have a look for yourself at Voss's run thru the middle of the ground in this clip, he's not H.H but he's not a tortoise either. He can also win his own ball whether on the ground or in the air, a trait many smaller HF's & Hb's don't possess.

Last edited:
He could have comfortably held down a spot in the 22 if he repeated that level of performance in the seniors. So to that extent tank is not a drawback.
I've never said he wasn't on the verge of selection.
Ask C. Brown how his AFL form was Vrs VFL, one does not automatically transform into the other.
I've never said Johnson would not have an impact at AFL level as I have not seen him play at that level for obvious reasons.
I would never say "He could have comfortably held down a spot in the 22" as he is yet to be tested at that level.
I'm happy to back the coaches opinion over both yours and mine.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Youseph Dib, North Melbourne (Previous NGA)
Sam Fowler, Collingwood
Michael Hartley, Collingwood
Toby Murray, Murray Bushrangers (Brother of Sam)
Jay Rantall, Norwood (Previously listed)
Ben Crocker, Carlton (Past player)
Mutaz Elnour, Northern Bullants (Previous VFL player)

Speaking of drafting, its sad to see Max Lynch going through his current issues. Wish him well & hope he gets better soon.
Hawks can still lose by 100 points each week.

This from Mitchell

"He is not feeling great I don’t think, still going through his concussion protocols. He's had a really rough run. I keep talking to him about looking at the big picture. He had a concussion earlier in the year and in his mind it was this huge deal," Mitchell said.

"He is going to get back from this and he's going to be a really important player for us later on this season. We look forward to getting him back for the long term because he has had enough bad luck to last him a couple of years."

Last edited:

Youseph Dib, North Melbourne (Previous NGA)
Sam Fowler, Collingwood
Michael Hartley, Collingwood
Toby Murray, Murray Bushrangers (Brother of Sam)
Jay Rantall, Norwood (Previously listed)
Ben Crocker, Carlton (Past player)
Mutaz Elnour, Northern Bullants (Previous VFL player)

Fowler would be very tempting, has been an absolute jet in the twos.

Murray was very impressive on the weekend, showed more than Lemmey/Scully and all the other talls.

Interesting only 3 of our VFL listed players nominate. Usually most usually do.

Eggy didnt.

You'd nominate if you feel you had interest I gather

Surprised that Hartley nominated.
Carlton need key defenders- maybe they asked Hartley to nominate ?

what are Johnsons flaws?
Intensity, 2nd efforts. His tackles inside 50s and pressure act stats are going to be low. He really picks and chooses when he has a crack and there is a lot of leisurely jogging or strolling when he doesn't think he has much chance of winning the footy. Whether this is a poor tank or an attitude thing Im not sure....

Would not mind Toby Murray. 199cm and young with potential. I gather there are no hard feelings between Collingwood and the family over the Sam debacle?

If he had similar pace would be interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back