2nds 2022 Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn’t able to watch but for those who did, where did Tucker play? Did he start pretty all centre bounces? Wing? If he can even half replicate those numbers at AFL level he’d be a B22 lock.

Wasn’t able to watch but for those who did, where did Tucker play? Did he start pretty all centre bounces? Wing? If he can even half replicate those numbers at AFL level he’d be a B22 lock.

On the ball pretty much all game.

Darcy regularly looks too good at WAFL level, especially when playing mid or half back but what's his biggest disposal tally at AFL level?

First time I’ve been genuinely impressed by Sturt this season at Peel this season tbh.

What I want to see is a game that’ll translate to AFL level. Stats, such as the four goals, are a bonus.

Earlier this season I described him as playing like a KPF in the 1980s despite being undersized for a KPF and it not being the 1980s. I just don’t think that’ll translate to AFL level.

His work rate both offensively and defensively was much better today. A lot of the time this season he’s kicked two or three goals by outmarking undersized opponents but only had 6-10 touches and had **** all impact outside of that.

Today’s performance is the sort of game I can actually see translating well to AFL level. He made other contributions in scoring chains and did more defensively than I’ve seen for him in a while.

For the first time in a while his name should be right in the frame for selection.

On the ball pretty much all game.

Darcy regularly looks too good at WAFL level, especially when playing mid or half back but what's his biggest disposal tally at AFL level?
Couple mid-high 20's back from 2019. Injury has really robbed him of form, confidence and consistancy. Hell pre-season this year he looked fantastic until that hammy in the last few weeks. Has been knocking down the door over the past month at Peel and deserves a shot over Acres next week

First time I’ve been genuinely impressed by Sturt this season at Peel this season tbh.

What I want to see is a game that’ll translate to AFL level. Stats, such as the four goals, are a bonus.

Earlier this season I described him as playing like a KPF in the 1980s despite being undersized for a KPF and it not being the 1980s. I just don’t think that’ll translate to AFL level.

His work rate both offensively and defensively was much better today. A lot of the time this season he’s kicked two or three goals by outmarking undersized opponents but only had 6-10 touches and had **** all impact outside of that.

Today’s performance is the sort of game I can actually see translating well to AFL level. He made other contributions in scoring chains and did more defensively than I’ve seen for him in a while.

For the first time in a while his name should be right in the frame for selection.

It's weird since both Sturt and Banfield are the same size and play that 2nd/3rd medium forward role. Banfield's got the stronger body and tank with the few more seasons in the system and a far kinder injury run, but the biggest knock on him is that he's missing a few traits to make it as a Best 22.

I want to see Sturt given the nod in a forward role next week. With Lobb/Treacy/Logue drawing the bigger bodies away (rest Tab, play Treacy) Sturt becomes a nightmare matchup with his size, speed and class.

Great to hear Sturt doing well. He’s the sort of forward that would be done no favors at all by wafl midfield delivery. Should be lot more dangerous having Walters and Mundy kicking it to his advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think delivery has anything to do with why he isn’t playing AFL.

If it was just about goals he’d be a guaranteed best 22 but the reality is our small/medium forwards add so much more than just goals off their own boot. He’s a very good mark for his size.

Sturt needs to do more of the following (which he did today btw):
  • be involved in scoring chains that lead to goals for his teammates.
  • provide good or at least decent defensive pressure.
  • have a better presence when the ball hits the ground.

Reality is Banfield is better at the above stuff than Sturt is. Close the gap and suddenly that extra say goal a game off his own boot can’t be ignored.

The form of some of our forwards and injuries (I refuse to believe Tabs isn’t playing injured) may mean there’s room for both.

Sturt needs to do more of the following (which he did today btw):
  • be involved in scoring chains that lead to goals for his teammates.
  • provide good or at least decent defensive pressure.
  • have a better presence when the ball hits the ground.
Fritsch doesn't do any of those things and seems to keep his spot in a premiership team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fritsch doesn't do any of those things and seems to keep his spot in a premiership team.

Fritsch doesn’t provide much pressure. Other than that I really can’t agree with that at all tbh.

He’s a good crumber, offers a fair bit between the arcs and would be involved in a lot of scoring chains. Fritsch was a midfielder three years ago - he’s far more than just a medium forward who takes marks and kicks goals (even if it’s what he’s best at).

Anyway this is the WAFL thread - I was more impressed by Sturt today because he didn’t just kick 2-3 goals from marks and free kicks. He offered far more than that today and played a genuinely good game. The midfielders (bar Blakely - wasn’t impressed), Wilson and Sturt could all be in line for next week.

Fritsch doesn’t provide much pressure. Other than that I really can’t agree with that at all tbh.

He’s a good crumber, offers a fair bit between the arcs and would be involved in a lot of scoring chains. Fritsch was a midfielder three years ago - he’s far more than just a medium forward who takes marks and kicks goals (even if it’s what he’s best at).

Anyway this is the WAFL thread - I was more impressed by Sturt today because he didn’t just kick 2-3 goals from marks and free kicks. He offered far more than that today and played a genuinely good game. The midfielders (bar Blakely - wasn’t impressed), Wilson and Sturt could all be in line for next week.
My point is both times he's played us he's kicked 3 goals and had a grand total of zero tackles.

There's no reason we shouldn't try to get Sturt to play a similar role.

Fritsch is usually the last chain of score involvements so not sure why you say he's involved in scoring chains, other than being the recipient.

Fritsch is better on the ground I'll give you that.

My point is both times he's played us he's kicked 3 goals and had a grand total of zero tackles.

There's no reason we shouldn't try to get Sturt to play a similar role.

Fritsch is usually the last chain of score involvements so not sure why you say he's involved in scoring chains, other than being the recipient.

Fritsch is better on the ground I'll give you that.
Fritsch is smart in getting to the right spots

Haven't seen him play yet but getting excited 😂
He was best for mine in the first half just so clean. Scooped the ball up tapped the ball around to his advantage then like Mundy manages to create space for himself and use the ball well by hand or foot.

He seemed to drop away last quarter and not unexpected with his very limited pre-season. But I agree entirely we have a good one in Johnson. We may not see him this seaon but we will start seeing a lot of him next year with an injury free run.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back