Autopsy 2022 Rd 22 Heartbroken.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Any mail on why DeKonig didn't play.
Surely there's room for both of him and Pittonet in the one team

He only uust started to tackle and apply pressure. There was good reason why he was never any good as a FT mid. Seems to have rectified that part of his game.
Nope ..3 years ago he was one of best tacklers around stoppages ,he's been played away from those stoppages.

It might be too simple heuristics on my side, but with a wife and mates as doggies supporters, I have watched a lot of Bulldogs games over the years and I get the same frustrations with TDK as I did with English, yet this year English has started taking games on in a big way. I still think it is too early to take a definitive view on TDK. He shows the same glimpses as English did for first 4 or 5 seasons. I personally would say the risk is to the upside with him and just got to keep putting him in the contest. If it means you put in the twos for team balance / work on things every now and then so be it, but you just have to get another couple of seasons of footy and body mass into him I feel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After 4 days this one still burns far more than it should to a grown man. The only game I can remember seeing the team have a bigger choke was against * in 81 when Neil Daniher kicked 4 goals in time on. Didn't hurt as much as we were always making finals that year.

While we will find out whether the boys can put it behind them on the weekend, but from listening to an array of Carlton Podcasts it seems to have broken some the belief of some of the supporters.

Funnily enough Bucky who is normally harder on the team than most was amongst the most upbeat. I am not about to throw out all the good we did in that game for the half a dozen minor mistakes that contributed to the loss in the last 3 minutes.

The only game I can remember seeing the team have a bigger choke was against * in 81 when Neil Daniher kicked 4 goals in time on.

2009 Elimination Final vs Brisbane.

4 goals up at 3/4 time, kicked the 1st goal in the 4th quarter, then...

After 4 days this one still burns far more than it should to a grown man. The only game I can remember seeing the team have a bigger choke was against * in 81 when Neil Daniher kicked 4 goals in time on. Didn't hurt as much as we were always making finals that year.

While we will find out whether the boys can put it behind them on the weekend, but from listening to an array of Carlton Podcasts it seems to have broken some the belief of some of the supporters.

Funnily enough Bucky who is normally harder on the team than most was amongst the most upbeat. I am not about to throw out all the good we did in that game for the half a dozen minor mistakes that contributed to the loss in the last 3 minutes.
There's this one... Tigs up by 10 points with 50 seconds on the clock and Tuck has marked at CHB. Just needs to chip it around... 30 seconds on the clock and they're still 10 points up. Then...

2009 Elimination Final vs Brisbane.

4 goals up at 3/4 time, kicked the 1st goal in the 4th quarter, then...
I was at a wedding for that one and only saw the last quarter from my hotel room. That was a bit different in that we were run down partly due to not having fit players. Remember Bower hopping around not being able to chase Bradshaw.

Watched a clip showing that the umpire stopped the clock needlessly when McG took a dive after Melksham took the mark. Quarter should have been about 15 seconds shorter.

I know it's late in the week but I've been sick all week and haven't felt much like getting on a PC and posting thoughts. Besides maybe it's a good thing, who knows.

Anyway, even live I wasn't that upset at the loss. I was in the moment don't get me wrong, but after the game and through the week I haven't been overley disheartened or gutted about the missed chance. I more or less left the game feeling positive and I think it's because of a few things which I'll detail.

We were forced to change things in the midfield and they just about all worked. I remember years back before the injuries and cancer Doc was talked about going into the middle. I remember an article on it and maybe even a whisper he was training with the mids a bit in pre-season before he did his knee. So it was good to finally see it and I liked it. Maybe not as a full time mid but definitly can see him going in and out through the course of a game. Setters looked much better in there than on the wing (WHO KNEW??) and I liked the occasions Stocker, Durdin and co went in. Long term I can see Durdin playing much more upfield than small fwd.

McGovern looks better every week. Still needs to work on not getting lost a bit in defence but that will come with time and experience. Shame he's barely been able to play, I'd love to see where he'd be with 15 more games there.

Jack Martin did as Jack Martin does. Be invisible for 3 qtrs of a game then have 1 qtr of brilliance. If only we could get more across a game.

Good to see Harry get back into some touch. His form was a little worrying.

I think Charlie may be tiring but he still competes and wills himself to contests. No one can doubt his heart.

I think Owies is being exposed a little for what he is. Good pressure but that's about it. His skills are limited as is his goal sense/positioning sense inside 50. If he hits that 18 metre pass to Saad we probably win the game. Instead Saad has to play on and find something immediately or just kick long. I think it was last week I noticed the same thing, he had 2 kicks on the wing/half forward both fall a couple metres short of the team mate and both were only 20 metre kicks under no pressure. Not good enough.

Similarly Durdin I think as a small fwd isn't much more than a pressure player. Not a lot of goal sense/positioning sense, like I said above Durdin looks most effecting up field around the contest imo.

While I'm on small forwards, I like Motlop but he's clearly a year or 2 away.

Onto the negatives... we 100% ballsed it up, no question. Wouldn't call it a choke as it wasn't as though we missed chances at goal or made tight turnovers, we just didn't play the sitaution ideally and a couple of contests we were overly desperate.

I can't remember the exact time of this one but on the wing I think it was a 3 on 1, we had 3 defenders all desperately fly up at the contest to the 1 Demon, and the ball kind of spilled out the back. The 3 Carlton players were desperate to go up and do something and none had the composure to a. hit the ball, b. understand it was a 3 on 1 and as a result c. wait at ground level for the crumb. Just no one calm enough to understand the situation and play accordingly, all desperately trying to be the hero in the contest.

The same thing at the top of the goalsquare where Melksham took the mark in a 2v4 against him. Carlton players falling over eachother desperate to get to the contest instead of playing there roles and calmly understanding the situation. If it was the first qtr I 100% believe we kill the contest no issue, but in the desperate clinches late in the game everyone was scrambling, getting in eachothers way and screwing it up as a result.

The missed kick back to Saad meaning he has to play on. Even then he probably had time to look behind, if he had he would've seen Weiters break off his man and be available for a short kick. It wasn't a gimme as the trailing player was only a couple metres behind and we know Weiters isn't fast, but it was the option. Still it's hard to blame Saad as that's behind him, he has to play on and in the franting closing moments being in a play on situation and turning around is always a risk.

The game should've been over once Charlie took the mark on the wing and passed it down to Harry. If I'd turned the TV off at that point I'd have thought we'd have won no problems. Horribly mismanaged last 40 seconds.

Overall though take out that 40 seconds and it was an excellent game in trying circumstances given our outs and the opposition. As I'm sure the coaches have they'd have gone over the clock/game management at the end but overall been positive in the messaging.

PS, if Charlie and Jack don't kick 2.7 we don't even need to think about managing the last 40 seconds.

I can't stand all the Cripps haters seriously the bloke cant do much more than what he does. Has stood up when the chips were down week after week. To understand how important he is, does anyone think we were any chance of winning last week or this week without him?

I haven't seen and Cripps hate.

Where is that coming from?

I may need to double check- but based on heat maps and memory it feels like Doc had a run with role on Petracca.

Can anyone confirm? What does it imply for this week? De Goey plays the same role.

Don’t think it was eye opening I think most of us could’ve worked out those 3 major blunders in the last 2 minutes.
Great to be so enlightened, but I suspect most fans wouldn't have picked up on the consecutive blunders. In any case, the analysis is important and needs to be communicated for those who didn't watch the game so closely.

Back