Position 2022 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have buzz around high priced mid rookies every year.
This year we have less games to base those opinions on.
Every club thinks there picks are jets.
I was going to base a few of my selections on 2k time trials, as that is who got a game last year.
The kids who came in with Walsh type tanks
But clubs either are not doing them or keeping the results in house.
I think as you say we have other cheap options around to cover if a few of the Vic kids don't get a game round 1.
Not much to talk about when half the squad's have a dozen players missing with covid.

I was keen on him last year after some good press over pre-season. Another pre-season under his belt, I'll keep an eye on his form and see if he gets selected for Rd1. Doesn't help that Roos play on the Sunday :rolleyes:
B: Turner (26) McKay (24) Ziebell (30)

HB: Hall (31) Corr (27) Perez (20)

C: McDonald (26) Greenwood (29) Stephenson (23)

HF: Thomas (21)
Comben (20) Mahony (20)

F: Zurhaar (23) Larkey (23) CCJ (22)

Foll: Goldstein (33) Simpkin (23) LDU (22)

Int: Powell (19), Phillips (19), JHF (18), Goater (18)

Green = In their prime. 23-28 years old.
Red = Needs replacing soon. 29+
White = to early to make a call on. 22 and under
Bold = Top 15 picks.

I have him in the best 22 for all that means.

Last edited:
So do you think Comben plays R1?
Dunno at this stage.
He has come a long way from last year when he got his first taste.
He is noticeably bigger.
We play the hawks r1. If Noble and co want to go in with 3x2m kpf's then he is in.
50:50
Its either Comben or they play Josh Walker on the bench and he covers defence/forward in a mediocre fashion.

So do you think Comben plays R1?
Hard one as CCJ, Goldy, Larkey and Comben is very top heavy, but Comben is rated highly internally. In saying that, the resting ruck can be given extra bench time.

Do you think the Vic kids will start slower like last year?
Last year from memory like 2 Victorian draftees started round 1 in the AFL teams.
Sharp and Lazzaro.
This years crop has played less games again.
Except Nicky D. He has played so many games... in my dreams.

Don't judge me!!

North had a bit of match sim and full ground drills today, so I thought I’ll pass along the thoughts from one of our regular track watchers for those interested in our younger players. Curtis, Spicer, Comben, Bergman and Goater have featured quite prominently in previous track reports. Bergman is going to be too skinny to play afl level this year, but definitely one for 2023 onwards. Perez is one that has really stood out to all track watchers and is regarded as one of the best kicks at the club off hb.

Report:
All the new draftee's are fairly impressive, even Archer who has a bit about him. He's probably the most limited athletically on the entire list, but he has some decent footy IQ and intercepted the ball more than a couple of times throughout the day. Bergman showed quite a bit more in the contested stuff than I thought he would, he's going to go well in the VFL imo.

Paul Curtis will 100% play AFL football this year.

Rehab group for the start consisted of Hayden, JHF, Ziebell, Bonar, WiPhi, Corr, Spicer at stages, pretty much all these guys ended up playing in the full ground drill apart from Bonar and Spicer.

JHF - Ran laps and did rehab and entered the fray in the second scratchie. It's my 5th time viewing him and he's very quiet in training, but steps it up in the game situations. He seems to be very much in the Cunnington-style of trainer, in that he does what he needs do, goes at half rat power for most of the ball work etc, to the point I was questioning whether he was "that quick" or "that powerful" at stages during these sessions. As soon as the ball is thrown in the middle for match sim though, he turned into a different animal. He is absolutely rapid when he needs to be and just like the videos with the blonde hair going everywhere, he looks like a bit of a maniac at full tilt going for a contested ball. As I said, he read a handball receive very early off Paul Curtis at half forward and turned right through the gears, left the entire ground standing still and drilled Larkey on a lead. His skills were excellent in every contested situation and showed a lot of poise. I think people still need to temper their expectations a little bit, he's in no way an endurance animal yet, but his burst impact is going to be incredible on some games this year imo.

Goater - Played the seagul role across half back and slotted straight into it. Knew when to peel off at the right time to get the cheap possessions and flew for an intercept at one stage that got chopped off by Greenwood coming back with the flight. I think he's going to be a lot closer than people think to a Rnd 1 position. He looks a better player than LMAC at the same age IMO and he placed in the RS in the same role. I think if you are being honest, he's every bit as good as someone like Perez also. If he plays this year, I see him easily replicating the Lmac/Rivers/Witherden style HBF this year of 17+ disposals a game in that role. He used his pace and agility to get separation on the wing at one point, he just puts meters on a tackling with absolute ease in these situations. For every possession he had, he went at 100% DE also.

Powell/Phillips - Just going about their business quietly this pre-season. They are definitely going to get that 10-15% improvement this year, looking forward to seeing them in legit game situations in the pre-season games. Both are just really solid players already. Both ahead of LDU and Simpkin at the same stages of their careers imo.

Comben - He's such a competitive animal and hates getting spoiled or tackled even in match sim. He's flying, looks super fit and I expect him to be right in the mix for Rnd 1. He was cooked by the second match sim but had put in a lot of effort in the 2hrs prior.
Curtis is going to be a good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep an eye on Reef McInnes from the Pies.

193cm inside mid from 2020 draft, highly rated by the club (pick 23), ran best 20m sprint time for his draft. Injuries blunted his chances last year, however apparently he has been training well and is sure to get a go this year (could even make R1 all going well, IMO).
At his price is he a better option than Daicos?

At his price is he a better option than Daicos?

No, unless you’re desperately short on cash and McInnes is selected R1, but even then probably not (see below). However, I could be persuaded to choose McInnes over Fin Macrae if both are selected, as 3 pies youngens may be too many (although I’d love to do it!).

In the short-medium term I could see McInnes securing a spot over someone like Poulter if Josh Daicos is playing wing (as he should be). I think he’ll play a lot of games for Collingwood once he gets his start.

Having said the above, I expect Daicos & Macrae to play 22 games barring injury, and my personal view is that Daicos will be one of the better first year players over the last decade. I think if he had played footy in the second half of the year he’d have been clear no. 1 - already he is in the top handful on our list for fitness and his ball use absolutely stands out at training. His tackling and decision making also looks to be excellent from admittedly the limited training I’ve been (but this is supported on the pies board). Moreover, he has already had Covid 😍.

In short, Daicos Jnr Jnr is the biggest gotdam lock since Rowell in his draft year. But you all know that!

No, unless you’re desperately short on cash and McInnes is selected R1, but even then probably not (see below). However, I could be persuaded to choose McInnes over Fin Macrae if both are selected, as 3 pies youngens may be too many (although I’d love to do it!).

In the short-medium term I could see McInnes securing a spot over someone like Poulter if Josh Daicos is playing wing (as he should be). I think he’ll play a lot of games for Collingwood once he gets his start.

Having said the above, I expect Daicos & Macrae to play 22 games barring injury, and my personal view is that Daicos will be one of the better first year players over the last decade. I think if he had played footy in the second half of the year he’d have been clear no. 1 - already he is in the top handful on our list for fitness and his ball use absolutely stands out at training. His tackling and decision making also looks to be excellent from admittedly the limited training I’ve been (but this is supported on the pies board). Moreover, he has already had Covid 😍.

In short, Daicos Jnr Jnr is the biggest gotdam lock since Rowell in his draft year. But you all know that!
4267839-geordi_roll_lock.gif

Couldn’t believe Macrae lasted as long as he did draft night.

Big raps on him on the hawks board and from S Mitchell
Yes ....and Seamus has been in my side all PS until today ....reading some excellent training reports on the Hawks Board

Hawks & Collingwood the best ......don't worry about getting any intel off the ADEL site

Yes ....and Seamus has been in my side all PS until today ....reading some excellent training reports on the Hawks Board

Hawks & Collingwood the best ......don't worry about getting any intel off the ADEL site
Yeah, hawks board is brilliant, especially when you get tagged there every week and all your posts get a ton of reacts.

Finn Magginess seems to be in for a big season too, bulked up and has a massive tank. Was he 2019 or 2020 draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back