Position 2022 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I expect north to take 4 smalls this year on the bench for round 1.
We have so many young blokes who wont be able to run out games just yet.
We are not that good that the number one pick wont get minutes.
Share the load so to speak.
He will get mid minutes. 25% mid :75% forward at a guess.
But as others have said he wont score like a normal rookie.
High tackle count. He kicks a few goals also.
Yeah, that's what im trying to explain to Dominic03. Even if Jason doesn't play midfield, he has a game that should stack up well to SuperCoach scoring through tackles, goals, high possession count.

Yeah, that's what im trying to explain to Dominic03. Even if Jason doesn't play midfield, he has a game that should stack up well to SuperCoach scoring through tackles, goals, high possession count.
Tackles yes, Goals yes (Playing FWD) but high possession count no. He isn't a high possession winner.

Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

I’m enjoying the JHF fud.

He has the text book high floor scoring zones.

He’s probably going to average 4+ tackles at a minimum imo.

Likely goes at 1+ goal a game.

Likely goes at 1+ GA a game.

You are looking at 30+ points before any disposal, hard ball get, contested possession, contested marking stats etc.

The latter 3 he is considered elite in for his size and position coming out of the SANFL.

Why would he need to push 80?
When have you ever started a high priced rookie with the hope they need to average 80? All you need is a 100 mixed in there after some lower or average scores to kick start the cash making process. Best way to get a score like that is playing on ball for a team that’s gonna give you every opportunity. Majority of the time the cash will come from the higher priced guys, you basically are paying for JS - why Daicos and JFH are also locks
Fair points, tbh 👍 Still not yet sold on him being able to get to the level he would need to, but it’s just a personal opinion. Hope he does either way 🤞

He certainly was in his own age group, a bit of a myth tbh.
Yes but the last time he played in his own age group was as a 17 year old.

Atleast bulk footy. He played alot of SANFL men footy.

JHF will be this year's Errol.

He will have some mammoth games, and then some not so mammoth games. He has given a blue print for his role through the SANFL and I could see him translating that quite comfortably.

I have bigger question marks over Finlay, just because of his poop scoring last year. Want to see some improvement in the Ansett.

My question:

Can we fit all of Finlay, JHF, Daicos and Ward in a midfield that's 5 premiums strong (ie. M6-M9)?

My question:

Can we fit all of Finlay, JHF, Daicos and Ward in a midfield that's 5 premiums strong (ie. M6-M9)?

Probably room for only 1 or 2 if some of the cheaper options do well in Ansett and secure a spot in their teams best 22 come Rd1. Mead, Stephens, Reef, Clark, Roberts, Sheldrick, Goater etc hopefully a few of those guys put their best foot forward this pre-season as I'd prefer to spend 100-200k difference on premo's.

Last edited:

He will have some mammoth games, and then some not so mammoth games. He has given a blue print for his role through the SANFL and I could see him translating that quite comfortably.

I have bigger question marks over Finlay, just because of his poop scoring last year. Want to see some improvement in the Ansett.

My question:

Can we fit all of Finlay, JHF, Daicos and Ward in a midfield that's 5 premiums strong (ie. M6-M9)

Nope, unless you’re thin elsewhere. We need some <$123k options to play, however the JS of these big dog rooks is very appealing

My question:

The odds are not good.
Happy to be corrected, but if i recall right there's only really been a couple (??) of top 5 picks that have been worth the added price over the last 5 years or so (walsh and rangapig)....and some in here are just assuming there will be 2 or even 3 in one season. Same expectation happens every season with the very early picks....they always look good to go and must haves.
Whilst its ok to simply include them in a prep team, i wouldnt assume any of them are starters....and you better be damn sure when spending 200K on a rook over someone 70-80K cheaper. Those midfield rook slots are golden and the good ones are often the second and third rounders.

With the usual press and bullshit that will be spoken about them, the only truly relevant question is " are you still prepared to pick (say) JHF and Daicos if neither get a rnd 1 gig ?"

I'll just put ONE in my prep team. Odds are against two, and by including one i can at least use that as a small pre-rnd1 bank and downgrade if necessary when the teams come out. Picking 2 though begins to be a seriously poor allocation of cash when prepping an entire team. Picking 3 rooks over say 170K is just dumb and phuks up the entire team and the choices of primo's and unique mid pricers who will be your actual scorers.

Then there's the next level of risk...they start Rnd 1 and produce a series of 50's. I want the cash FAST. That usually means starting less expensive rooks. If a top 5 pick starts rnd 1 and goes ballistic we still get a couple of weeks to grab them.
Everyone does it different, but i've never missed a good one.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll probably pick JHF purely because he will have such high ownership.
This is the best argument tbh. And JS, but young players get rested sometimes too.

I reckon as a small forward in a crap team he's going to poop out some 30's and 40's which will kill off his cash gen. A bottom priced rookie can afford a few bad games and still make money, starting at $207 there is less margin for error.

Just curious on JHF, where will his mid minutes come from exactly?

Simpkin, LDU and Greenwood you assume are their starting mids. Cunnington will play at some stage, you also have Philips (top 5 last year) and Powell who will also get good minutes. You have Tarryn Thomas who is basically a fast tracked JHF who needs mid mins. I assume Taylor, Scott, Polec, Stephenson will get wing minutes and rotate with JHF. I just don’t see his mid mins being anywhere more than a 90/10 fwd/mid split, and being their prized recruit they will look after him for the long haul.

Compare it to NDaicos and Macrae who is competing with Adams, JDG, Browns x2, Lippa, maybe Elliott, and a wing rotation of Bianco, Poulter, JD and Noble. Pendles is playing half back and Sidey is playing half forward. It’s not even close in comparison who you’d be picking based off of that. JHF is a 210k half forward rookie in a bad team, if you’re expecting any more than a 60 avg you might be livid with yourself.

Simpkin, LDU and Greenwood you assume are their starting mids. Cunnington will play at some stage, you also have Philips (top 5 last year) and Powell who will also get good minutes. You have Tarryn Thomas who is basically a fast tracked JHF who needs mid mins. I assume Taylor, Scott, Polec, Stephenson will get wing minutes and rotate with JHF. I just don’t see his mid mins being anywhere more than a 90/10 fwd/mid split, and being their prized recruit they will look after him for the long haul.

Compare it to NDaicos and Macrae who is competing with Adams, JDG, Browns x2, Lippa, maybe Elliott, and a wing rotation of Bianco, Poulter, JD and Noble. Pendles is playing half back and Sidey is playing half forward. It’s not even close in comparison who you’d be picking based off of that. JHF is a 210k half forward rookie in a bad team, if you’re expecting any more than a 60 avg you might be livid with yourself.

Thomas, Stephenson and JHF will be a revolving door between the wing and half forward.

Thomas playing more deep at times and JHF playing the most forward out of those 3 and Thomas attending the most CBA's between those 3.

JHF likely only has cameo's in CBA's. I think most of his midfield time will be up around the mid group stoppages as a high half forward/wing.

Noble has said 30/70 on the topic specifically.

This is the best argument tbh. And JS, but young players get rested sometimes too.

I reckon as a small forward in a crap team he's going to poop out some 30's and 40's which will kill off his cash gen. A bottom priced rookie can afford a few bad games and still make money, starting at $207 there is less margin for error.

He's not going to play as a traditional small forward at all.

I've seen his role in match sim, he is rarely deep forward. He spends most of his time between the wing and the attacking 50m arc. If Noble plays a +1 around stoppages at any point, it is very likely going to be him, as that's how high he has been playing.

His role is very much like Gulden at the Swans last year, pushing right up behind the wing and one of the main attacking threats moving the ball into the F50.

I might view it differently but if I’m rebuilding a team I’m not leaving my most talented player out of the midfield because I have a few B/B+ graders in there already. In the same way Collingwood aren’t playing Pendles and Sidebottom in the midfield to focus on their younger players surely North find a way to give him mid minutes.

Thomas, Stephenson and JHF will be a revolving door between the wing and half forward.

Thomas playing more deep at times and JHF playing the most forward out of those 3 and Thomas attending the most CBA's between those 3.

JHF likely only has cameo's in CBA's. I think most of his midfield time will be up around the mid group stoppages as a high half forward/wing.

Noble has said 30/70 on the topic specifically.

Yeah spot on re my thinking, he’ll be that extra mid who roles up to the front of a half forward stoppage. He’s a smart player so it will work but I worry he’s gonna float in and out of games often which is gonna get you some huge flucs in scoring. I’m not sure his floor is going to be good, which for a 210k rookie you want to be able to manufacture those price rises when you get a ceiling game. No point going 80+ And then scoring two games in the 40’s because your $$ is stunted in the 3 game cycle and it repeats all over again.

He's not going to play as a traditional small forward at all.

I've seen his role in match sim, he is rarely deep forward. He spends most of his time between the wing and the attacking 50m arc. If Noble plays a +1 around stoppages at any point, it is very likely going to be him, as that's how high he has been playing.

Seems like he’s going to be playing that Zak Butters role where he floats between the wing and the 50 arc. For reference, Butters averaged 60 in that role in his first year in a better team, before spiking the year after at 88 after getting more of those mid minutes.

Averaged 14 touches, 3 marks, 2.5 tackles and 0.6 goals per game in his rookie year. Will be an interesting comparison.

Seems like he’s going to be playing that Zak Butters role where he floats between the wing and the 50 arc. For reference, Butters averaged 60 in that role in his first year in a better team, before spiking the year after at 88 after getting more of those mid minutes. Will be an interesting comparison.

Butters role is an excellent comparison from what I've seen at training.

Yeah spot on re my thinking, he’ll be that extra mid who roles up to the front of a half forward stoppage. He’s a smart player so it will work but I worry he’s gonna float in and out of games often which is gonna get you some huge flucs in scoring. I’m not sure his floor is going to be good, which for a 210k rookie you want to be able to manufacture those price rises when you get a ceiling game. No point going 80+ And then scoring two games in the 40’s because your $$ is stunted in the 3 game cycle and it repeats all over again.

I think he is 100% going to get frozen out of games we are well beaten in.

But the question is are his good games 80's, or are they 120 or 130's?

That's really the question that's going to determine his average in the long run.

He really does have the all-round game to score big in SC even from only 15-20 disposals. He tackles like an animal, he takes contested marks, he's a goal kicking midfielder etc, he's going to generate a lot of GA at AFL level etc.

As you said, will be an interesting watch, only 4 weeks or so to the pre-season games.

I think he is 100% going to get frozen out of games we are well beaten in.

But the question is are his good games 80's, or are they 120 or 130's?

That's really the question that's going to determine his average in the long run.

He really does have the all-round game to score big in SC even from only 15-20 disposals. He tackles like an animal, he takes contested marks, he's a goal kicking midfielder etc, he's going to generate a lot of GA at AFL level etc.

As you said, will be an interesting watch, only 4 weeks or so to the pre-season games.
There’s almost no chance his good games will be that high this early on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back