Player Watch 2023 Father Son player watch - McCabe, Dear and Maginness

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I keep deleting posts referencing this, but can we move away from suggesting or making juvenile jokes about the bloodlines of players.

This is a public forum and parents of players do read here.

Unfortunate fallout from the ongoing saga. Fallout or not it was always a chance when Silk relocated back to SA.
His dad gave the strongest and most passionate historical endorsement of the club and culture in the investigation, I doubt it’s the saga.

If all his family are in SA and he has the choice, I can see why he’d want to stay there.

His dad gave the strongest and most passionate historical endorsement of the club and culture in the investigation, I doubt it’s the saga.

If all his family are in SA and he has the choice, I can see why he’d want to stay there.
Thoughts Steven Tyler? I understand if you stay mute on this btw 🫡

Thoughts Steven Tyler? I understand if you stay mute on this btw 🫡
He tried to offer assistance as he was a father figure to the Indigenous guys, not just at Hawthorn but the AFL, and was told to stay out of it, that the report was now with the AFL
Felt let down by the club
He isn’t as angry as Clarko, but wasn’t happy with the response from individuals at Hawthorn
He and his family and Clarko are very close

He tried to offer assistance as he was a father figure to the Indigenous guys, not just at Hawthorn but the AFL, and was told to stay out of it, that the report was now with the AFL
He isn’t as angry as Clarko, but wasn’t happy with the response from individuals at Hawthorn

We sure like to put our legendary players off. It makes me sick thinking about it.

I'm hoping the bloke responsible for all this ' stand-offish' behaviour towards our past champions is ******* gone!! Some really arrogant flog behaviour filtering out from our great club lately

It doesn't have to be NM and #2. That was just an example. It could just as easily be Richmond and #4.

Okay, this is where I'm getting to ...

Currently, there seems to be a gentleman's agreement of sorts between clubs that allows F/S picks to drop below what they're really worth, thus allowing clubs to maintain draft currency. NM and GWS could easily have bid on Daicos and still got the players they wanted. GWS again last year could have bid on Ashcroft, and helped avoid the media pressure Cadman will soon endure when he doesn't live up to the #1 label straight away (since KP players rarely do).

At some point, the 'nice guy routine' is likely to disappear because of:
a) Strategy - forcing another club to pay a higher price will better enable your club to draft the player you want in a later round
b) Vindictiveness - perceiving another club to have 'not looked after you last time'

It would already be happening a little bit, but wouldn't it suck if the first time it happened overtly was to Hawthorn?!
Doesn't matter if its North or someone else.

You are saying that clubs would bid on someone they don't really want at that pick. It isn't going to happen

There's no 'nice guy routine'...there's no vindictiveness'...not even Dodoro.

EDIT: Regarding the 'nice guy routine', no, but come trade time, who knows? There could be agreements behind the scenes, who knows?

e.g. "One of your players wants to come to us next year...If we don't bid on Ashcroft, what discount will we get next trade time?"

I'm speculating, but the point remains; I doubt anything is done out of niceness. It will be bargained for the best outcome for their team...that is all they care about

If teams want that player at that pick, they will bid, or see what they can lever behind the scenes. If not, they won't bother.

No professional club is going to risk wasting a valuable high pick on someone they don't really want just to be a dog-in-a-manger. That's kindergarten stuff.

Last edited:
Gee that's pretty disappointing for the club to fall out with another one of our most decorated recent Indigenous players, in a process of trying to heal with Indigenous players... What a mess.

Gee that's pretty disappointing for the club to fall out with another one of our most decorated recent Indigenous players, in a process of trying to heal with Indigenous players... What a mess.
I'm assuming that whoever told Shaun to stay out of it is now gone and rightfully so. Still shaking my head in disbelief that one of our greatest and most respected player was treated like this ..

Tho extremely disapointing to hear if true, would his closeness to Clarko have had any impact on the club deciding to not involve him?

Doesn't excuse not involving him in general to offer support, but specifically re: the report

I wouldn’t say they have had a falling out
Shaun would still be there for reunions etc

He was just miffed that he was told to butt out, as he felt he could of been useful in helping BOTH parties

As a leader of the Indigenous players, he felt upset that this has happened under his “watch” and wasn’t granted the chance to help out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t say they have had a falling out
Shaun would still be there for reunions etc

He was just miffed that he was told to butt out, as he felt he could of been useful in helping BOTH parties

As a leader of the Indigenous players, he felt upset that this has happened under his “watch” and wasn’t granted the chance to help out
Any involvement from Shaun would have been cast as Hawks attempting to interfere after AFL was involved. Would require the identity of the concerned players to be revealed to Shaun and that would have been cast as "Info leaked to Clarko's confidante".

To me it seems like whoever asked Shaun to butt out should have told the same delicately but may be they were speaking as a friend. Only specualting, no idea of relationship btw Shaun and this "club person".

Any involvement from Shaun would have been cast as Hawks attempting to interfere after AFL was involved. Would require the identity of the concerned players to be revealed to Shaun and that would have been cast as "Info leaked to Clarko's confidante".

To me it seems like whoever asked Shaun to butt out should have told the same delicately but may be they were speaking as a friend. Only specualting, no idea of relationship btw Shaun and this "club person".
I agree with the gist of this, but I'm quite certain Shaun already knows who those players are!

Or why did Shaun not go direct to help out. We know the answer, would be improper and cast -vely.

hence Shaun asked for our permission and so have cover to intervene. We could not do so as we had handballed to AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back