Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 37!, 1 (busted) BIG FISH ALERT last October 9th) (9 confirmed! 17 Busted!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just cant believe it.... Its like we are in some twilight alternate reality...

Offering a cooked injury prone 31yo a 3 year deal into the millions $ is just staggering... Just WOW.

We are truly desperate, geesus.
Cooked is a bit harsh. Has been one of the best 20 players in the league so far this year. Yes he’s currently out with a minor injury and that’s a concern. But when I hear cooked I think Brodie Smith / Michael Walters and Yeo ain’t anything approaching that.

More detail on Yeo

RYAN DANIELS ON THE CLUB OFFERING ELLIOT YEO MILLIONS:​

“He is out of contract… it’s a bit unusual, we’re at round 10, this stuff’s usually done by now,” Ryan said about Yeo on Xav & Michelle for Breakfast.

“And if it’s not done, that tells you that maybe something’s up… so I had a look into it.

“There’s multiple clubs — east coast based clubs, so not Fremantle, east coast based clubs — that are very, very keen on Elliot Yeo,” he said.

“There’s a number of them that are interested, one of them would be the Adelaide Crows, they are at the front of the queue.

“They need a big bodied, experienced midfielder, they were into Elliot Yeo last year, now they’re really into Elliot Yeo.”

Ryan said that the Crows’ contract presented Yeo with more tenure and cash.

“They want to give him three years… West Coast were two,” he said of the South Australian based club.

“The last few years he’s probably been on about 800 grand a year roughly… the way these deals work these days is that they’re always the same.

“But one of the years, maybe the first year is a significant number, and I’d say you’re close to the mark with that 1.3 (million dollars, a number Xavier Ellis had guessed when discussing the contract).

“Maybe even slightly higher that that.”
If h costs no draft capital and they can then go all in on getting one of the top mids in the draft this yea, I am not totally against getting Yeo in to help our midfield in the shorter term whilst the likes of the (2024 1st round mid, Edwards, Curtin have time to develop). Yeo can play and if he take the pressure off of Soligo and Rankine or do the damage should the oppo concentrate on them, it could work...in the short term

Look, if we're honest, most trade news this early in the season is managers leaking whacko numbers to the media to get the existing club to pay up, whether it be money or years. Last 2 weeks alone saw the Hayward news leak (Carlton, then us), then all of a sudden he's probably staying.

If our club has offered that for Yeo, they need to be fired out of a cannon directly into the sun, but I doubt it's remotely in the league of being true. At least not at those numbers.

Yeo isn’t a bad get. And costs nothing in trade capital as a free agent.

Paying him this amount of money seems way over the top, so I’d like to think that part is incorrect, as it often tends to be when such stories do the rounds.

Chasing Yeo as a free agent = not a bad idea at all once McCluggage officially (inevitably) declares he’s not moving here. There are no other high quality out of contract true mids even left on the market, other than types who don’t suit our needs such as Parfitt and Berry.

LDU costs waaayyyy too much in a trade this year. Put that on ice for another 12 months once he’s FA eligible. Bank the 2 first rounders and target an elite mid this year in the draft.

Whoever we draft this year, plus Edwards, Dowling and Taylor aren’t likely to be ready to dominate games at AFL level in 2025 - it takes most true mids not named Daicos or Reid a while to have that sort of impact.

Yeo becomes a bridge between the “current” (he replaces one of Laird or Crouch in there, clearly we’d like that to be Laird) and the “new” (2024 first rounder, Taylor, Edwards, Dowling and even Pedlar). 4 of those guys (including the one we haven’t drafted yet) have played 0 games between them, and the other has shown nothing whatsoever to suggest his body can handle the rigours of spending even half his game time as an AFL mid.

Having said all of that, ya just can’t make a 31 year old injury-prone Yeo one of our highest 3 paid players, so let’s try to remain calm until that part is confirmed. Anything over a total of about 2.2 million total for 3 years for someone of Yeo’s age and injury history seems excessive, even with the ever-increasing cap.
Well said. I can understand people's laments – it looks like a desperate, scattergun ploy – but imo there's a bit of sense behind it from a list management perspective. The key thing is that there's no draft capital on the table. Despite what the club's intimated about being done with the draft, I think we're still a couple of pieces short (cough Dyson Sharp cough).

Club must believe we are in flag contention next year, and think it's a high risk/reward play to go hard while Tex has probably 1 more year left in him.

I don't mind it. We could play finals next year. We could have a good injury run. We could have a bulldogs like run with the umpires. But with Nick's at the helm it's probably all just a waste anyway

Tex is looking like a high level year is beyond his 2025 body. But big years from Fog and TT would be enough, our issue remains playing Laird and Crouch in the middle and cooked seniors like Smith.

Look, if we're honest, most trade news this early in the season is managers leaking whacko numbers to the media to get the existing club to pay up, whether it be money or years. Last 2 weeks alone saw the Hayward news leak (Carlton, then us), then all of a sudden he's probably staying.

If our club has offered that for Yeo, they need to be fired out of a cannon directly into the sun, but I doubt it's remotely in the league of being true. At least not at those numbers.
The reporting's been pretty direct that we've tabled a contract offer. I suppose there's a chance it's not true but outright stating that we've made an offer for Elliot Yeo doesn't seem like the kind of thing to risk credibility over.

As for the Hayward thing, I think what probably happened is that our offer and Carlton's offer accelerated the process on Sydney's end. Hayward informally told them he wants to stay, and now they're hammering out the details. Just because the trail's gone cold doesn't mean it didn't happen in the first place.

If h costs no draft capital and they can then go all in on getting one of the top mids in the draft this yea, I am not totally against getting Yeo in to help our midfield in the shorter term whilst the likes of the (2024 1st round mid, Edwards, Curtin have time to develop). Yeo can play and if he take the pressure off of Soligo and Rankine or do the damage should the oppo concentrate on them, it could work...in the short term

Getting Yeo is a terrible idea. He will be 31 next year.

But here are some simple reasons.
1. He is too old
2. He will play in a midfield with Crouch and Laird, not replacing one of them.
3. He will likely take the place of Cook in the side and reduce opportunities for other players. McHenry, Murphy and Sholl will all still get games. It will be the p[layers needing games who miss out.
4. He has struggled to even get through half a season in the previous 3 years. Sign of age catching up to him.

Nope, nope and just nope. This has Nicks written all over demanding a big bodied experienced mid to drive him a to finals campaign.

Despite what the club's intimated about being done with the draft, I think we're still a couple of pieces short (cough Dyson Sharp cough).
It’s problematic how open we are about being “done with drafting”.

To me, that’s something no club should ever be saying, even if they’re premiers sitting top of the ladder. I understand we’re essentially just saying we’d prefer to trade draft capital for players, but it also seems like a tacit admission that we have no faith in our own recruiting and development teams, and given our recent record you’d understand why. So if it is an admission, do something about it and move. people. on.

What sort of message does that send the draftees we do end up taking when we inevitably fail to trade for seasoned players; keep slaving away in the SANFL, bide your time until Smith or Laird decide they’re ready to retire?

It’s problematic how open we are about being “done with drafting”.

To me, that’s something no club should ever be saying, even if they’re premiers sitting top of the ladder. I understand we’re essentially just saying we’d prefer to trade draft capital for players, but it also seems like a tacit admission that we have no faith in our own recruiting and development teams, and given our recent record you’d understand why. So if it is an admission, do something about it and move. people. on.

What sort of message does that send the draftees we do end up taking when we inevitably fail to trade for seasoned players; keep slaving away in the SANFL, bide your time until Smith or Laird decide they’re ready to retire?
Totally agree, and well put. Plus it also just has the effect of signalling to the other 17 clubs that we'll be making plays for their guys. More draft picks for the clubs, more money for the players (and their managers).

Besides, if that is indeed the assessment of our list, then I don't agree. I don't think we're far off. Broadly speaking, I like the list-building moves we've made given our constraints (e.g. Pick 1 in a hopelessly compromised 2020 draft, etc). But we're still a couple of pieces short, especially in the midfield and ruck.

if we were struggling to hit the cap floor, then why couldn't we just offer someone good massive dollars?

Given how many players we are linked to I think it is clear we are.
Heard from a very good source this morning that we are widely making offers as desperate to get some players in to add class and depth - not many quality players off contract and struggling to get a commitment from those that are.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What on Earth is making Nick's want to offer big money for a 30 year old? Must believe we're in contention of winning a GF sometimes soon lol. Just gonna end up being another Bryce Gibbs situation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What on Earth is making Nick's want to offer big money for a 30 year old? Must believe we're in contention of winning a GF sometimes soon lol. Just gonna end up being another Bryce Gibbs situation
Not really the same, given we (shamefully) gave up two FRPs for Gibbs, and wouldn't be giving up any draft capital to get Yeo in the door.

Are we in salary cap strife hitting the floor and are worried we don't have any more levers to pull outside of ridiculous contracts?

That's the only reason we'd consider paying Elliot Yeo $1.3 million in a single year
No, it's not a good reason.

Better off restructuring our best players & front-loading them more.

.... along with offering all available younger gun players ridiculous money.

Said we offered $2.7 million over 3 years. So still means we'd be paying him $700K in his final two years with a first year of $1.3 million.

Absolute madness given his age and injury history.
Better off offering McCluggage $1.5m for next 5 years.

Realistically why the hell would Yeo come here??? If he is to leave west coast, it would have to be for a chance at a flag. We aren’t near one ATM. This is just click bait

He wouldn't care about a flag. He needs to maxiomise the final significant earning opportunity of his adult life.

Could be a sign of a desperate coach and list manager worried about their jobs though.
It's beyond stupid as he would be retired by the time we are next in flag contention.

Spend the money on a younger player.

More detail on Yeo

RYAN DANIELS ON THE CLUB OFFERING ELLIOT YEO MILLIONS:​

“He is out of contract… it’s a bit unusual, we’re at round 10, this stuff’s usually done by now,” Ryan said about Yeo on Xav & Michelle for Breakfast.

“And if it’s not done, that tells you that maybe something’s up… so I had a look into it.

“There’s multiple clubs — east coast based clubs, so not Fremantle, east coast based clubs — that are very, very keen on Elliot Yeo,” he said.

“There’s a number of them that are interested, one of them would be the Adelaide Crows, they are at the front of the queue.

“They need a big bodied, experienced midfielder, they were into Elliot Yeo last year, now they’re really into Elliot Yeo.”

Ryan said that the Crows’ contract presented Yeo with more tenure and cash.

“They want to give him three years… West Coast were two,” he said of the South Australian based club.

“The last few years he’s probably been on about 800 grand a year roughly… the way these deals work these days is that they’re always the same.

“But one of the years, maybe the first year is a significant number, and I’d say you’re close to the mark with that 1.3 (million dollars, a number Xavier Ellis had guessed when discussing the contract).

“Maybe even slightly higher that that.”

That's guessing.

I could see Yeo being good for a year or two if fit, he's still a very good player as he's shown this year. 3 years is a lot though, even accounting for the fact that you have to pay overs to get players to move clubs and that we probably have a lot of cap space. Plus he's had a lot of injury issues.
Yeo has missed more than half of the Weagles games over the past 5 years.

Crazy to chase him.

Given how many players we are linked to I think it is clear we are.
Heard from a very good source this morning that we are widely making offers as desperate to get some players in to add class and depth - not many quality players off contract and struggling to get a commitment from those that are.

Does that include a God Father offers for English which is the obvious area we can make immediate improvement if we see Thilthorpe as a KPF? It will be a much improved ruck with English instead of ROB with a very good backline, now an A grade midfield with Dawson, Rankine, Soligo and Rachele (still need Pedlar to step up) and Fogarty, Thilthorpe and Welsh in the forward line with Rankine or Rachele resting forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back