VFL 2023 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the game and maybe I'm just desperate, but I thought there were some pleasing things.

McAndrew tap work good again and took a nice contested mark.
Obviously at this stage very much a tap ruck, with minimal impact around the ground, but I wouldn't be averse to bringing him in for Hickey for the WCE game and just give RJ a rest.

Corey Warner continues to impress, good speed, uses the ball well well and I'm not concerned about his size, just goes hard at the ball and man.

Stephens is frustrating. Can get certainly the ball at this level. Decent pace and run, but just too often wellies the ball fwd, without identifying targets.

Konstanty showed glimpses in the 2H. The first time that I've actually seen a bit of class from him.

I haven't been as keen as some on HKK (hello GUH) but I thought his best game this season.

Mitchell came to us as a winger and apparently played there throughout his junior career, but good size and nice hands so maybe an inside option down the line, particularly as I believe it was his endurance rather than pace that was his one wood.

Long way to go but Owen probably had his best game of the season, just looked more comfortable.

Feel for Rankin, finally putting a body of work together and then goes off with a bung shoulder.

So well beaten, but a young team, only Clarke & Stephens could go close to being called senior players and then 3 (?) injuries (Rider, Vickery, Rankin) and of course Buller out doesn't help our structure.
Maybe I'm just clutching at straws, but perhaps not all doom and gloom from the game.

And as an aside the commentator called Indhi (?) was bloody hopeless and that's being generous.

And as an aside the commentator called Indhi (?) was bloody hopeless and that's being generous.
Thanks for the generous feedback.. considering I've never seen your team play before and I spent much of the game trying to find positives for your team statistically, and that was hard (the Pony comment was very stupid and I shook my head after I said that) .. maybe if you guys come up to Queensland again, I'll put the directive to just talk up how good the home team is based on what was served up yesterday..

But here is the challenge; when a visiting team that callers haven't seen before is being so comprehensively beaten in all areas of the ground with the exception of one player.. Arnold .. it's very hard to learn new players when they're often second to the ball and turning it over so quickly when they do get it .. people watching at home have the benefit of two cameras .. one that's wide with a closer angle.. and another that's closer..

The name isn't Indhi; and that's very obvious.

On a positive note.. your main ruckman is a genuine talent and I'm very optimistic that he'll make some big strides in the 1s when the door does open.. Owen has potential and improved as the game went on .. Edwards is rock solid and backed up his outstanding game against Sandy with another remarkable effort down back, especially against Fullarton who is likely to break into the 1s in the coming weeks.

Appreciate the feedback though.. NSW has a lack of callers .. do yourself a favour and put your hand up.. you could absolutely most definitely do a better job than I; and I'd love to hear some new voices..

My calling style is not everyone's cup of coffee.. but it has got me AFL experience.. and I spend time coaching new callers across various sports in the region which has seen a rise in new, quality callers filling necessary holes in SEQ.

Thanks for the generous feedback.. considering I've never seen your team play before and I spent much of the game trying to find positives for your team statistically, and that was hard (the Pony comment was very stupid and I shook my head after I said that) .. maybe if you guys come up to Queensland again, I'll put the directive to just talk up how good the home team is based on what was served up yesterday..

But here is the challenge; when a visiting team that callers haven't seen before is being so comprehensively beaten in all areas of the ground with the exception of one player.. Arnold .. it's very hard to learn new players when they're often second to the ball and turning it over so quickly when they do get it .. people watching at home have the benefit of two cameras .. one that's wide with a closer angle.. and another that's closer..

On a positive note.. your main ruckman is a genuine talent and I'm very optimistic that he'll make some big strides in the 1s when the door does open.. Owen has potential and improved as the game went on .. Edwards is rock solid and backed up his outstanding game against Sandy with another remarkable effort down back, especially against Fullarton who is likely to break into the 1s in the coming weeks.

Appreciate the feedback though.. NSW has a lack of callers .. do yourself a favour and put your hand up.. you could absolutely most definitely do a better job than I; and I'd love to hear some new voices..

My calling style is not everyone's cup of coffee.. but it has got me AFL experience.. and I spend time coaching new callers across various sports in the region which has seen a rise in new, quality callers filling necessary holes in SEQ.
Do you call it a kick and not a ball ? shot at goal ?

Mate, I enjoyed your response here. Too often there is an online pile-on without any regard to reality. It is the same when people here say a player is 'useless' or a 'spud' when in fact they are 100x better at the game than we are.
Be encouraged as you continue your career, take on board comments that are worth listening to and feel free to reject any emotional supporter comments that lack understanding.

I wasn't a fan of your style, but that's a personal view, but what I do care about is accuracy and you constantly got that wrong.

Sure your obsession early with Gander was bizarre but then confusing him in the ruck with Owen was completely perplexing.
And how in the last qtr you were convinced Gould was involved in two separate plays (on the wing right in front of you) when he was in neither sort of summed up your day IMO.

Entirely up to you as to whether you accept my criticism or not, but I do hope you review your calls on a regular basis and get feedback from those around you.
I watch all our reserves game and TBH I thought you were the worst caller we've had this season, because it would be something I'd rarely comment on.

what do you mean?
A shot on goal; and a kick at goal .. both terms are used and acceptable across all levels of commentary in the AFL space..
You obviously call it a shot on goal which is a soccer term , we in aussie rules kick at the goal we don't try to land it on the goals

I wasn't a fan of your style, but that's a personal view, but what I do care about is accuracy and you constantly got that wrong.

Sure your obsession early with Gander was bizarre but then confusing him in the ruck with Owen was completely perplexing.
And how in the last qtr you were convinced Gould was involved in two separate plays (on the wing right in front of you) when he was in neither sort of summed up your day IMO.

Entirely up to you as to whether you accept my criticism or not, but I do hope you review your calls on a regular basis and get feedback from those around you.
I watch all our reserves game and TBH I thought you were the worst caller we've had this season, because it would be something I'd rarely comment on.
Fair dinkum, hairy.

what do you mean?
A shot on goal; and a kick at goal .. both terms are used and acceptable across all levels of commentary in the AFL space..

I wouldn’t worry about Bedford. His one claim to fame is having had coffee with Alastair Clarkson in the distant past. The rest is all condescension, bad grammar and drive-by “disagrees”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, I enjoyed your response here. Too often there is an online pile-on without any regard to reality. It is the same when people here say a player is 'useless' or a 'spud' when in fact they are 100x better at the game than we are.
Be encouraged as you continue your career, take on board comments that are worth listening to and feel free to reject any emotional supporter comments that lack understanding.
Thanks mate .. I really appreciate it .. we've got a new commentary dynamic up here where a lot of us have come from the State league competition; so we are right across the history of players in SEQ from their junior/academy/AFL/Local footy and it's very easy for us to highlight that in our calls, which is super important because without local footy and its success, we don't have a successful VFL and in the past, NEAFL competitions.

To create a balance; we contact visiting clubs during the week to get a bit more insight into some of the local talent; more importantly the VFL and VFL Dev talent. In the lead up to the game, I had discussions with three members from the Swans VFL team about players; and again so on the day.. we're of the mantra that we need to find a way to have a balanced call even when the scoreboard doesn't allow it because we know people back home are watching..

I don't know what the other guys do back in other states but we feel it's really important and additionally, it's great to make new friends from other clubs in the process. We're seeing guys play for the first time and if we've got some background info for the clubs on players to watch; especially with debutants, we get up for that .. my off-sider called one of the debutant's first goal.. and we were giving each other high fives and first pumping when it happened.. I was thrilled to see one of the boys starting on the ground.. and even making a specific point (Gander?) playing that loose man in defensive 40-50 range; at 192cm and that's a big role for the kid to play.. if we were just calling the game as it was and showing up on match day seeing Sydney for the first time; we're not knowing the debutants and we're not observant of what the opposition is doing ..

Seeing Gander and Rider play their debut games is super exciting, especially a 17-year-old lining up against the best team in the VFL .. and it's the same level as seeing the younger guys up here making their VFL debuts that were making their names in matches we called in the QAFL last year; you get yourself up for those players.. I'm lucky I've got a Saturday and Sunday game next week and seeing the great talent come through the State league up here will be special but not as special as finding some hidden gems at Coburg and Boxhill that are part of the VFL Dev program; and that's all thanks to the help of your clubs, it's special.

Thanks for the message; when I knew Sydney was coming up, it was a game to look forward to on the calendar .. I know a few guys that have umpired and been around the Sydney space and as an ex Vic; you always get excited for what hidden gems are coming through the teams not from the AFL heartlands

Hairy is allowed his views , as are you
Which is why I didn't attack him or say something like "I read a lot of posts and you are the worst poster I have seen this year". I usually love hairy's posts but these couple are simply not the way I choose to interact with other human beings. It's not a value judgement, just a personal preference.

Thanks mate .. I really appreciate it .. we've got a new commentary dynamic up here where a lot of us have come from the State league competition; so we are right across the history of players in SEQ from their junior/academy/AFL/Local footy and it's very easy for us to highlight that in our calls, which is super important because without local footy and its success, we don't have a successful VFL and in the past, NEAFL competitions.

To create a balance; we contact visiting clubs during the week to get a bit more insight into some of the local talent; more importantly the VFL and VFL Dev talent. In the lead up to the game, I had discussions with three members from the Swans VFL team about players; and again so on the day.. we're of the mantra that we need to find a way to have a balanced call even when the scoreboard doesn't allow it because we know people back home are watching..

I don't know what the other guys do back in other states but we feel it's really important and additionally, it's great to make new friends from other clubs in the process. We're seeing guys play for the first time and if we've got some background info for the clubs on players to watch; especially with debutants, we get up for that .. my off-sider called one of the debutant's first goal.. and we were giving each other high fives and first pumping when it happened.. I was thrilled to see one of the boys starting on the ground.. and even making a specific point (Gander?) playing that loose man in defensive 40-50 range; at 192cm and that's a big role for the kid to play.. if we were just calling the game as it was and showing up on match day seeing Sydney for the first time; we're not knowing the debutants and we're not observant of what the opposition is doing ..

Seeing Gander and Rider play their debut games is super exciting, especially a 17-year-old lining up against the best team in the VFL .. and it's the same level as seeing the younger guys up here making their VFL debuts that were making their names in matches we called in the QAFL last year; you get yourself up for those players.. I'm lucky I've got a Saturday and Sunday game next week and seeing the great talent come through the State league up here will be special but not as special as finding some hidden gems at Coburg and Boxhill that are part of the VFL Dev program; and that's all thanks to the help of your clubs, it's special.

Thanks for the message; when I knew Sydney was coming up, it was a game to look forward to on the calendar .. I know a few guys that have umpired and been around the Sydney space and as an ex Vic; you always get excited for what hidden gems are coming through the teams not from the AFL heartlands
I would try and message you and have a fair chat away from some , but you haven't got the option.

Which is why I didn't attack him or say something like "I read a lot of posts and you are the worst poster I have seen this year". I usually love hairy's posts but these couple are simply not the way I choose to interact with other human beings. It's not a value judgement, just a personal preference.
All good i just thought hairy was balanced , we've had a couple of shockers doing swans games , but everyone has to start somewhere

Good on the caller for fronting up.

Generally I much prefer the efforts of callers on the streaming service to the callers on Seven and Fox.

I don’t remember muting a streamed VFL game but always mute 7 and Fox.

Thanks for the insight. Yours is a world of which I know very little so it's good to hear what goes on behind the scenes.

You obviously call it a shot on goal which is a soccer term , we in aussie rules kick at the goal we don't try to land it on the goals
Haha fair enough.. I honestly don't know which phrase I use.. and it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of the game .. I'm not a soccer supporter.. I know when it comes to soccer .. you can't use the phrase 'kicks a goal'.. it is 'scores a goal' .. I'm from country Victoria until recently.. so I'm about as AFL as it gets.. I'll go back to the tape and have a listen; and additionally, will bring it up with some of the AFL callers at SEN when I catch up with them shortly.. I'd be interested in their take.. a mate of mine who is also a caller; we always study the art of calling to get a broader understanding of the role. Appreciate your insight :)

This is the kind of genius insight I’ve come to expect from you 🤨.
Where did you pop up from champ , not talking to you but the caller

I popped up from the autopsy thread, where you “disagreed” with one of my posts without providing any context or saying anything for like the 300th time. I feel you abuse the “disagree” button more than anyone else , and frankly, I’ve come to resent you for it.

Haha fair enough.. I honestly don't know which phrase I use.. and it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of the game .. I'm not a soccer supporter.. I know when it comes to soccer .. you can't use the phrase 'kicks a goal'.. it is 'scores a goal' .. I'm from country Victoria until recently.. so I'm about as AFL as it gets.. I'll go back to the tape and have a listen; and additionally, will bring it up with some of the AFL callers at SEN when I catch up with them shortly.. I'd be interested in their take.. a mate of mine who is also a caller; we always study the art of calling to get a broader understanding of the role. Appreciate your insight :)
BP is a great caller on SEN , but he's another one who's started to call it a ball and not a kick. I regard JB and BT as flogs as it's all about them and they've started calling it a wobly ball , a long one etc , why do others have to copy them , Jason Bennett is a fantastic called and he should be listened to for those learning the caper .

This is the kind of genius insight I’ve come to expect from you 🤨.

I popped up from the autopsy thread, where you “disagreed” with one of my posts without providing any context or saying anything for like the 300th time. I feel you abuse the “disagree” button more than anyone else , and frankly, I’ve come to resent you for it.
Appreciate the feedback , try the ignore button

Thanks for the insight. Yours is a world of which I know very little so it's good to hear what goes on behind the scenes.
Haha thanks mate .. we've got a few callers coming through up here and one of my mates who has been calling State league up here; he and I watched a few AFL practice games this year .. GC v Essendon and Geelong v Brisbane .. we spent eight quarters watching the action away from the ball to get an understanding of patterns and developing predictions .. we never did that at all, previously and I've been calling for THIRTEEN seasons .. and when we're co-calling; when one person has the call, the other person not calling observes patterns off the ball .. for example .. my offsider had the call; I made the comment on centre wing that Jaxon Prior came onto the ground for the Lions.. my off-sider continued the call.. Prior ended up being plus one at a contest at half forward to spear the ball into a team mate inside 50 .. so from a Sydney perspective; we're looking at how he wasn't picked up for 30 seconds in front of the coaches box and he sets up a goal scoring chance.. so with the art of calling; you're always learning.. and we learned yesterday that by seeing Sydney, there is a lot to like what the Academy is doing to develop new players and hopefully some of them get a look in to be selected for the main list in the future.

BP is a great caller on SEN , but he's another one who's started to call it a ball and not a kick. I regard JB and BT as flogs as it's all about them and they've started calling it a wobly ball , a long one etc , why do others have to copy them , Jason Bennett is a fantastic called and he should be listened to for those learning the caper .
BP is a champion.. I've worked with him across tennis and AFL .. he saw a space in the tennis market and attacked it.. and now he's the Tennis Guy in Australia .. I feel for him because he's an old Fitzroy fan and since they became Brisbane, he fell away from that and I'm saying this on a Forum where Sydney went through the same thing.. there is probably a lot of old SM supporters who still feel the same 40 odd years on. Agree with the other 2 names .. and you're right about Jase .. I was fortunate to spend 70 odd minutes on the phone with him a while back and we talked all of the things you said .. and with some of the callers we have here that are coming through, we get them to watch all of his games. Jase probably does about 20 hours of prep for each game he calls .. last week he called VFL/AFL in the same day.. so his Friday/Saturday would have been all research and prep.. and if you use 5-percent of your research in the call, you're in for a great day.. where as some callers just show up.

Personally; I probably spend five to six hours a week; and then during the breaks; crunching the stats for each quarter to see what patterns unfolded.. we came up with a key one in the first half that Brisbane were +21 from 0-20 minutes and were +21 in time-on; statistically they score a lot of goals in junk time; which means if you're the opposition doing prep.. you need to be just as attacking from minutes 20 to 25 than from 0 to 5 .. otherwise, you get killed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back