VFL 2023 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder whether there has been any thought to giving Gould a bit of a run through the mids. It would a role similar to that unmentionable big Cat played in the GF.

He is quick enough in straight lines and pretty good below his needs as well as being cluey.
I don't know why we would. He's pretty valuable key defender depth at this point.

I get that he's in relative no man's land at the moment, but that changes very quickly the minute one of our key defenders goes down with an injury.

He - and we - just need to be patient.

I wonder whether there has been any thought to giving Gould a bit of a run through the mids. It would a role similar to that unmentionable big Cat played in the GF.

He is quick enough in straight lines and pretty good below his needs as well as being cluey.
If anything, while Reid, Hickey are out (with the flow on effects to the VFL forward line), I'd almost give him a crack at CHF. He's dobbed a few from 50m before.

Just for a couple of games, or a quarter here and there. With McLean coming back you could move Francis back to join Melican and Edwards.

Wouldn't expect him to line up there at senior level but if he showed something it might increase chances of a debut, even splitting time between defence and taking the opposition's key interceptor (as Hayward has done on Aliir etc). Clarke never played as a small forward, but transferred his skills when asked.

Obviously this is geared towards Gould becoming more versatile, because you can also just keep Francis up forward when needed.

VFL Coaches Award Round 1

Sydney Swans 10.10 (70) def by Box Hill Hawks 14.13 (97)
Callum Brown (BHH)
8 Ned Long (BHH)
5 Jed Rule (BHH)
5 Angus Sheldrick (SS)
1 Hugo Hall-Kahan (SS)
1 Callum Porter (BHH)

VFL Coaches Award Round 1

Sydney Swans 10.10 (70) def by Box Hill Hawks 14.13 (97)
Callum Brown (BHH)
8 Ned Long (BHH)
5 Jed Rule (BHH)
5 Angus Sheldrick (SS)
1 Hugo Hall-Kahan (SS)
1 Callum Porter (BHH)

How many Jeds and Neds would've played in the same team and then add a Hugo for the game

02APR23: Casey Demons vs Sydney Swans

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard this idea a few times before and I don't think it's a good one, at least not at AFL level. The only reason I would consider it at VFL level is if we have a surplus of defenders and not enough mids (which is a possibility). I think Gould is going to get his chance in the seniors as a defender and it makes sense to help prepare him to play that role as well as possible. The players who are usually played out of position are mids who are required to play elsewhere as they establish themselves in the side, not key position players.

I've heard this idea a few times before and I don't think it's a good one, at least not at AFL level. The only reason I would consider it at VFL level is if we have a surplus of defenders and not enough mids (which is a possibility). I think Gould is going to get his chance in the seniors as a defender and it makes sense to help prepare him to play that role as well as possible. The players who are usually played out of position are mids who are required to play elsewhere as they establish themselves in the side, not key position players.
Once Sheather is taken off limited minutes from his long term injury, which will be in the next few games, would be an option to run through the mids occasionally. He has done this in the past.

Last edited:
Clarke and Wicks are both proven VFL / NEAFL ball winners and will make a huge difference once back. If Fox comes back through 2's, he will also boost the side. He has had some massive games at that level as a midfielder. Until then, we are likely to struggle with Sheldrick to carry the inside work, helped by Shipley and Bartholomeus, both decent players but certainly not AFL list standard.

Clarke and Wicks are both proven VFL / NEAFL ball winners and will make a huge difference once back. If Fox comes back through 2's, he will also boost the side. He has had some massive games at that level as a midfielder. Until then, we are likely to struggle with Sheldrick to carry the inside work, helped by Shipley and Bartholomeus, both decent players but certainly not AFL list standard.
If Fox comes back to the AFL side, Campbell or Cunningham would be moved to the sub and Roberts also goes back to the VFL midfield which will help as well

Once Sheather is taken off limited minutes from his long term injury, which will be in the next few games, would be an option to run through the mids occasionally. He has done this in the past.

Absolutely. I'm hopeful that Sheather's future is as a powerful ball-winning beast. So I actually see him as a midfielder. I take it you have a different view? What do you consider his natural position?

Absolutely. I'm hopeful that Sheather's future is as a powerful ball-winning beast. So I actually see him as a midfielder. I take it you have a different view? What do you consider his natural position?
You didn't ask me but I'll say anyway. I've seen him play both forward and back. He has every skill. He hits like a truck in the tackle. No fear. Good positional player. Kicks goals. He was doing sprints with the HP dude in front of me during the VFL game on Sunday and he is QUICK and runs on top of the ground.
Love to see how he goes in midfield and reckon he'd be OK.

You didn't ask me but I'll say anyway. I've seen him play both forward and back. He has every skill. He hits like a truck in the tackle. No fear. Good positional player. Kicks goals. He was doing sprints with the HP dude in front of me during the VFL game on Sunday and he is QUICK and runs on top of the ground.
Love to see how he goes in midfield and reckon he'd be OK.

The more opinions and ideas the better KC! Love hearing those observations. Sound so promising. I had high hopes for Sheather a couple of years ago but they have faded courtesy of his injuries. Here's hoping his body is good and he bounces back.

He can play either mid, forward or back. At the moment he is in the forwards group but I think in the future he can be a contest ball beast like a JPK. He is fast, has a big tank covering over 15km per game and his pressure and tackling is immense. It is hard to break into the first team currently and he needs some full games in the VFL coming back from injury. Once in I think he will be a regular.

Sunday squad (all 4 Firsts emergencies named)

SYDNEY SWANS
B:
W. Edwards (28), W. Gould (17), M. Geddes (61)
HB: C. Vickery (25), L. Rankin (41), J. Brown (50)
C: W. Collis (51), M. Roberts (34), N. Shipley (52)
HF: M. Sheather (33), H. McLean (2), H. Hall-Kahan (45)
F:
C. Owen (40), A. Francis (10), C. Haley (53)
R: L. McAndrew (46), A. Sheldrick (29), C. Warner (37)
INT: J. Magor (32), J. Bartholomaeus (47), T. Howard (56), H. Morrison (55), T. Longmire (58)*

EMG: T. Alker (63), E. Grace (65), N. McGill (68), J. Endemann (59)

IN: T. Howard, H. McLean, M. Roberts
OUT: L. Melican (groin), C. Mitchell (illness), J. Veale (finger)
NEW: Tom Howard, 19, North Melbourne VFL

*23rd player

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back