Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, well that whole post is kind of pointless then, I forgot they had other Academy kids. I'll have to reassess completely.
Our only angle is to give them a player before Walter but we have to help them. They could simply trade with a variety of clubs for 2 seconds like dees swans crows and that would give them all they need for the 3 players. We don’t have to give them the total points they lose for their first as we are doing them a huge favour but we give them dogs second to help them match bids and they can figure out the rest. So as things stand 3+32 and I would ask for some late picks they won’t use to help with mccabe (like 49 and 62 for example). Adding dogs 3rd pick 51 we have would match any bid for McCabe from 22 onwards. We get 6, 49, 62 and f1 which feels a bit light, so I would also look for a swap of their f2 for our f3 or something like that.

Comparing Reid to Watts is laughable.

Reid has been arguably the best junior player for the last two years which is unprecedented.

He would have gone at pick 1 last year as a 17 year old. No word of a lie he'd be best 22 for us already and I wouldn't be surprised if he was in our top ten players already.

Just an incredible talent and a complete player capable of playing all three lines. Eagles would be mad to give him up.
Not really unprecedented, Rowell was the best junior player for 2 years prior to being drafted as well.

"Rowell's honour roll of awards is something almost unheard of, with two Under-18 (NAB League) Grand Final Best on Grounds, as well as the top player in the Under-17 Futures game at the MCG last year, Vic Metro's Best and Fairest, Oakleigh Chargers' Best and Fairest and All-Australian honours this year."

I get that tales always grow with the telling but there have been plenty of multi year standouts. Rowell recently, Izak Rankine though not taken Pick 1 was a dual U18 AA player who pretty much won 2 U18 champ finals off his own boot and had to switch sides in the U17 young guns game because he was dominating so much.

Not really unprecedented, Rowell was the best junior player for 2 years prior to being drafted as well.

"Rowell's honour roll of awards is something almost unheard of, with two Under-18 (NAB League) Grand Final Best on Grounds, as well as the top player in the Under-17 Futures game at the MCG last year, Vic Metro's Best and Fairest, Oakleigh Chargers' Best and Fairest and All-Australian honours this year."

I get that tales always grow with the telling but there have been plenty of multi year standouts. Rowell recently, Izak Rankine though not taken Pick 1 was a dual U18 AA player who pretty much won 2 U18 champ finals off his own boot and had to switch sides in the U17 young guns game because he was dominating so much.

Rowell if not for his injuries would be a force of nature. Feel for the guy.

Has resorted to eating grass to get his mojo back.

Rowell if not for his injuries would be a force of nature. Feel for the guy.

Has resorted to eating grass to get his mojo back.

Rowell going from the 'this kid could be anything' category to now being more of a blunt instrument than he would have been otherwise is exactly why some of us don't want to tank/trade obscene amounts of assets for Harley Reid. I am not for a second doubting he is a prodigiously talented kid and possibly the best underage player ever seen in the modern history of the game. All of that goes out the window if there is an injury that will lessen his freakish abilities however. If we happen to end up with Reid I am certainly going to be happy but taking drastic action to do it would be silly for mine.

Rowell going from the 'this kid could be anything' category to now being more of a blunt instrument than he would have been otherwise is exactly why some of us don't want to tank/trade obscene amounts of assets for Harley Reid. I am not for a second doubting he is a prodigiously talented kid and possibly the best underage player ever seen in the modern history of the game. All of that goes out the window if there is an injury that will lessen his freakish abilities however. If we happen to end up with Reid I am certainly going to be happy but taking drastic action to do it would be silly for mine.
They said the same about JOM.
Then the injury came.

Now he's no better than a B grade mid.

I can see a club like Melbourne with an established core giving up multiple picks for a chance at a guy who has the scope to be the best player in the game.

I just can't see a club like ours where we need both quality and quantity to be in a position to give up the required capital.

I'd love Harley in the Brown and Gold but we need to move on. There is absolutely no way we 'win' the spoon.

There is plenty of talent at the 2-5 range for us to sink our teeth into.

Call me cynical but it really $hits me that this year so far its Harley Reid clear # 1 then daylight to second etc. Last year, the top 5 were all pretty evenly matched - North Fans wouldnt swap Sheezal for number 1 pick Ashcroft and we probably wouldn't swap Mckzenzie for Tsatas even if he was playing and lighting the world on fire

Just hope that players so far ranked 2-10 start playing well and closing the gap between themselves and Reid. Thank god we already have McCabe in the bag, absolute godsend this F/S pick is

Call me cynical but it really $hits me that this year so far its Harley Reid clear # 1 then daylight to second etc. Last year, the top 5 were all pretty evenly matched - North Fans wouldnt swap Sheezal for number 1 pick Ashcroft and we probably wouldn't swap Mckzenzie for Tsatas even if he was playing and lighting the world on fire

Just hope that players so far ranked 2-10 start playing well and closing the gap between themselves and Reid. Thank god we already have McCabe in the bag, absolute godsend this F/S pick is
The issue is Harley seems so much more physically developed then majority of his peers, it’s like trying to compare day in his draft year.

Recruiters get this right tho and the media fawns over short term thinking

Not a chance he will ask to be traded again. He has just gone down with another concussion. I reckon one more knock to the head and the hawks will shut him down for the season.
My point was Geelong’s midfield in a year or 2 will be the youngsters

How do we get the suns First rounder? Walter seems like the player we need most but won’t get so bidding on him seems plausible.

If there is a deal that doesn’t see us giving up future 1 for their first that should be our goal. If then 3 and 8 was enough to get 1 then look at it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do we get the suns First rounder? Walter seems like the player we need most but won’t get so bidding on him seems plausible.

If there is a deal that doesn’t see us giving up future 1 for their first that should be our goal. If then 3 and 8 was enough to get 1 then look at it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They need so many points with 3 academy kids.
They won’t just trade their pick out for a future one.

I can see a club like Melbourne with an established core giving up multiple picks for a chance at a guy who has the scope to be the best player in the game.

I just can't see a club like ours where we need both quality and quantity to be in a position to give up the required capital.

I'd love Harley in the Brown and Gold but we need to move on. There is absolutely no way we 'win' the spoon.

There is plenty of talent at the 2-5 range for us to sink our teeth into.
Just out of curiosity, why do you think there’s no chance we end up with the spoon? I hope we don’t by the way ( but wouldn’t bother me too much if we do).

Suns are fine. Even if the bids were something like 4 12 20 that’s 4214 with discount approx 3400. Their next 3 picks 25 30 44 get them half way, so they are the equivalent of pick 3 short. Something simple like Crows picks 20 and 23 get them that so they have a multitude of options. If we could get another decent second rounder in we could offer our first and 2 seconds for their 2023 and 2024 firsts. A bit more would be needed but that would be the essence of the deal.

Don’t forget as fall back, we can go
into deficit.

Ideally I wish McCabe gets called in 2nd round so any deficit affects only from that round in 2024. If we are Top 5, 100-200 pts deficit moves pick by only 0-2 positions.

Can’t imagine we would want to do that
Cause we may have traded our 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder for Kai Lohmann or Mitch Georgides or packaged them to get GC's pick 6.

As of now I prefer to move our f1 to this yrs pick, speed up the rebuild. This should make us stronger which means our F1 is likely to NOT be a Top 8 pick anyway.

Lot of this will depend on how McCabe is tracking and if we can get late picks for some tradeable players from our list.

They said the same about JOM.
Then the injury came.

Now he's no better than a B grade mid.
At least we got him to that with our medical guys and honored the commitment we made to him. That's important to me actually.

HR, like Dusty hasn't got anything bad going on in the background and truth be known the last one we gave up because of injury concern was Joel Selwood after punting on Dowler and Muston the year earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back