Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have liked to see a fit cj in our team in the second half of the year when we were actually competitive.
Just don’t see it with CJ. Marketer’s dream, but just doesn’t have the footy smarts to go to the next level in my eyes.
Could be a cherry on top for a top line side who has everything in place to cover his deficiencies, but for a struggling 16th place side trying to bed down a solid and reliable defence…just don’t see a spot.

I recall a couple years ago CJ looked really promising but lacked in the decision making and clean disposal area. But then he exploded in these areas for a period one game in particular stood out against the Tigers I went to at the G. Then he got injured came back and the old habits crept in with more injuries. Could be a case of one step forward and two steps back type of situation before CJ becomes a real player for us!

I recall a couple years ago CJ looked really promising but lacked in the decision making and clean disposal area. But then he exploded in these areas for a period one game in particular stood out against the Tigers I went to at the G. Then he got injured came back and the old habits crept in with more injuries. Could be a case of one step forward and two steps back type of situation before CJ becomes a real player for us!

Spot on, people saying he might not make it - he already has. If multiple best on ground performances in his first 30 games aren’t enough to convince people, nothing will. Just wait for him to be healthy I guess.

Just don’t see it with CJ. Marketer’s dream, but just doesn’t have the footy smarts to go to the next level in my eyes.
Could be a cherry on top for a top line side who has everything in place to cover his deficiencies, but for a struggling 16th place side trying to bed down a solid and reliable defence…just don’t see a spot.
Attacking creative player off half back who can run all day and has a penetrating kick. For him to work needs a sold defensive structure around him.

Need to persist now and keep him on list because with all the work we put in if he leaves he will become a star in the right team (which will be us in 2 years

CJ is definitely a confidence player. He has the tools to be a good AFL player, he just needs to know his limitations. Tries to take the game on too much - needs to know when to attack and when to defend. Has a kamikaze type attitude at times which is exciting but also lends itself to injury. I think he could be a regular 22 player but how he gels alongside Weddle is a concern.
Now would not be the time to trade CJ……

CJ is definitely a confidence player. He has the tools to be a good AFL player, he just needs to know his limitations. Tries to take the game on too much - needs to know when to attack and when to defend. Has a kamikaze type attitude at times which is exciting but also lends itself to injury. I think he could be a regular 22 player but how he gels alongside Weddle is a concern.
Now would not be the time to trade CJ……
I agree, also think Weddle is destined for greater things than the half back, a spot on the wing beckons. That goal he kicked in the Pies game after the handball shot out from Sis was sublime. Very Issac Smith'ish. He loved it and it showed. Going to be a GUN:smilev1:

CJ was getting tagged a couple years back and had a period where he was polling coaches votes almost every week. He has weapons others lack and is one of the players on the list who can really impact.

Had a very poor and interrupted 2023 and has his weaknesses but I’m not writing him off. If he can put it all together - which he has done in the past - he can be a very damaging player

Opposition used to pay so much attention to CJ once he started having a huge impact and that was a challenge for him but a massive compliment as well. When he comes back in, he has Sicily, Mitchell, Weddle, Impey etc around him to help rebound/find space on the wing. CJ/Weddle with the ability in the air for the exit kick, and pace to break free. Then CJ, Ward, Weddle, Finn, Moore, Nash, Amon etc having elite aerobic capacity. Once we get some key pillars to hold us together at each end, and some X factor on the forward flank, good luck playing us at the G.

CJ is a funny one. Before his injury kicked in his play had suffered a bit. His defensive output was a bit haphazard (prompting a mini spray from Sic in one game) and his disposal suffered a bit as well. That said, we know he's a favourite of Sams and he sees him as our best option as a running, rebound defender - well, at least until Weddle came along.

I think he'll be given every opportunity early next year to reclaim his spot so it's basically up to him to forge his own career trajectory from here.

Personally I don't think he's in a battle with Scrimshaw. I think Scrim will be given more forward minutes next year. Irrespective of whether we get McCabe or Duursma who can both play as a leading forward they wont be ready next year so we'll still be persisting with Lewis, Kosi, DGB and a very green Ryan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CJ fits our list profile. Didnt have a pre season this year. He is going tear sides up next year. His ability to run and carry and help out his fellow defenders is second to none when he is fit and firing. He was being paid a lot of attention as he was game changing threat. He brings excitement exhuberance and the crowd into the game. He is also the loudest and brashest guy on the track.

Looking forward to CJ lighting it up at the G. I have faith. I want to get back to being the quickest side in the league next year ask every team to try and keep up with us. Ward is another who had a limited pre season. Cant wait.

Last edited:
CJ will be absolute dynamite in 30-40 games once we mature around the ground . Teams wont be able to lock down on just him , which they pretty much were .

Out of he and Scrimshaw , Scrimshaw is more replaceable . Im not saying Scrimshaw should be moved on either .

If we want to improve though a few 'nice' players to have will get moved on

CJ fits our list profile. Didnt have a pre season this year. He is going tear sides up next year. His ability to run and carry and help out his fellow defenders is second to none when he is fit and firing. He was being paid a lot of attention as he was game changing threat. He brings excitement exhuberance and the crowd into the game. He is also the loudest and brashest guy on the track.

Looking forward to CJ lighting it up at the G. I have faith. I want to get back to being the quickest side in the league next year ask every team to try and keep up with us. Ward is another who's pre season was largely interrupted. Cant wait.
Extremely well said. Can't wait to see him back.

Looking forward to CJ lighting it up at the G. I have faith. I want to get back to being the quickest side in the league next year ask every team to try and keep up with us. Ward is another who had a limited pre season. Cant wait.
Totally agree.

It’s always amazing how some players are written off when they miss games and others get better.

What CJ does have is some flare and an incredible running capacity, would be awesome to watch him play along side Weddle and baby Seamus, would be the most aggressive defense in the league…

With lazer-legs like Sicily and Scrimshaw playing alongside them, our backline would be a real weapon.

No one is writing CJ off and no one has forgotten how impressive he was for a large period of 2021.

The issue is due to fitness and whatever else he hasn't really been able to get close to that level again. This season he was really bad - so fumbly, brain-fades, skill errors, didn't run as much, ran into trouble more when he did, out of position and late to contests. He looked like a completely different player to the one we saw from him in 2021 and in spurts in 2022.

Worpel turned it around after years of what looked like regression, so I expect CJ will too.

Jiath is being mentioned in here because he's expendable (unpopular opinion, and I stand by it), but also capable of getting us a stronger return in a trade.

I'm not saying I WANT to move him on. I want him to rediscover his best form and become a best 22 regular again.
But if we were looking to be aggressive and a club were willing to pay up strong for him, I'd pull the trigger immediately.

Jiath is being mentioned in here because he's expendable (unpopular opinion, and I stand by it), but also capable of getting us a stronger return in a trade.

I'm not saying I WANT to move him on. I want him to rediscover his best form and become a best 22 regular again.
But if we were looking to be aggressive and a club were willing to pay up strong for him, I'd pull the trigger immediately.
I think u will find there are other players that are more expendable than CJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back