Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not the only ones, everyone does it. Believe it not we aren’t as brutal as other clubs.
I just checked Dons VFL B&F, Alister Lord was in Top 5 votes and is delisted from AFL.

Way too brutal.
I've come around on Chol. Just looked so damn dominant yesterday.

I too am keen but reading Suns fans old comments on how he turns lazy when given a go at AFL level is giving me pause.

Need to interview him and find out if he has the drive to play AFL & become better.

Gotta love the knee-jerk reactions after a well fought out prelim.

Pitchforks at the ready.

Never mind that decisions on players were made a long time before the first bounce today.
Also never mind that our forwards were up against Graham, Jeffrey and Farrar. And our defenders got the lucky break of Day, Burgess and Chol without McLaughlin. Poor Ramsden was marooned on an island with Ned Moyle as well... In the Gold Coast.

The fact we were in it for so long was incredibly impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chol would be good stop gap in the shot term. Would depend on the price though.
Marboir Chol is an intriguing option. He was pick 30 in his draft year (2016) and went to the Suns two years ago for compensation Pick ~38 (meaning he is on reasonably good money)

While previous draft history does not always equate to current value, with Chol only playing 8 games for the Suns while fully fit(?) this year, I think a pick around 35 would get it done… and help the Suns with their points for their high draft-cost academy players.

He is contracted to the end of 2025 but his manager says he wants to be playing regular AFL footy, which he is not getting. The Suns are constantly at the top of the salary cap And so may be willing to let him go for cap space.
On the other side, his family is up in QLD.

He is a 200cm, 96kg athlete who can jump and hold his marks. His kicking is OK. Chol was the Suns leading goal kicker last year with 44 (2.0 goals per game) and did the relief ruck job.

Thought bubble… not saying I want this.. but could he play FB? He seems to have the tools. In many ways he seems an upgrade on Ratagolea and, if media reports are to believed, we certainly had a crack at Esava.

There is a lot to like.

Last edited:
Marboir Chol is an intriguing option. He was pick 30 in his draft year and went to the Suns two years ago for compensation Pick ~38 (meaning he is on reasonably good money)

While previous draft history does not always equate to current value, with Chol only playing 8 games for the Suns while fully fit(?) this year, I think a pick around 35 would get it done… and help them with their points for their high cost academy players.

He is contracted to the end of 2025, his manager says he wants to be playing regular AFL footy and the Suns are constantly at the top of the salary cap. On the other side, his family is up in QLD.

He is a 200cm, 96kg athlete who can jump and hold his marks. His kicking is OK. Was the Suns leading goal kicker last year with 44 (2.0 goals per game) and did the relief ruck job.

Thought bubble… not saying I want this.. but could he play FB? He seems to have the tools. In many ways he seems an upgrade on Ratagolea and, if media reports are to believed, we certainly had a crack at Esava.

There is a lot to like.

The guys biggest knock and arguably what is keeping him out of the side is his defensive accountability and work rate.

There is no way in hell Chol will be a defender of any variety until he fixes that.

The guys biggest knock and arguably what is keeping him out of the side is his defensive accountability and work rate.

There is no way in hell Chol will be a defender of any variety until he fixes that.
I appreciate the info. I have not seen enough of him to make a judgement on his defensive traits and so will defer to your opinion.

Also never mind that our forwards were up against Graham, Jeffrey and Farrar. And our defenders got the lucky break of Day, Burgess and Chol without McLaughlin. Poor Ramsden was marooned on an island with Ned Moyle as well... In the Gold Coast.

The fact we were in it for so long was incredibly impressive.
I could not agree more. Box Hill could not get their game going but somehow found a way to be just 5 points down early in the last quarter. That showed heart.

The Suns were dominant across every line and yet could not put Box Hill away... until the last 5 minutes.

It is important to note that the Suns had 5 players who were 1st round AFL draft picks in their team. And 2 other players who dominated the game and will likely be playing AFL in different teams next year.

While the Box Hill boys lost, it was every-bit honourable.

Chol would be a handy pick up as our second KPF next to Lewis. Has shown that he can hit the score board and very hard to match up on with his athleticism and size. Why not? Gc won't be asking for anymore than a pick in the 25-35 range .
The issue is forward balance. If we have Lewis ramsden and chol we would need high defensive pressure and Breust isn’t that so I would worry about being able to retain the ball next year.

The issue is forward balance. If we have Lewis ramsden and chol we would need high defensive pressure and Breust isn’t that so I would worry about being able to retain the ball next year.
Fair thought.

For all of his potential, I’d not play Ramsden for many games in the senior team next year. He has not kicked many goals as a fwd and not been a winner in the ruck. Plant him Fwd for a year with Box Hill and see if he can be a goal kicking fwd. let him roam as a CHF to use his tank. Have him take pack marks as an outlet from the backline. Have him become too hard running to match up for a tall backman and too tall to matchup as a running back. Let him become something special in the VFL before we keep him in the AFL.

Lewis and Chol with Kosi and / or DGB… that will worry oppo teams tall defenders.

Then add a combination of Moore, Breust, Bennetts, Butler, JOS (who started the year brilliantly and then faded … as his coaches thought he would) and maybe a Wiz … and the fwd line pressure looks healthy.

2024 will be a season to enjoy further growth from the Hawks. By 2025 our group will be equivalent to precocious teenagers (2008 Hawks), ready to win but maybe not yet calloused of the mind to win.

2026 is the year I am hoping the Hawks start our next domination of the comp. If it happens sooner, great, but I’m happy to wait for a great team to emerge.

Last edited:
Sexton went down like an AC Milan player, imo was ameteurish from the umpire to get sucked in
It doesn’t matter how Sexton went down, if DGB’s first reaction is to punch or even tap the closest opposition in the guts in frustration he needs to do something about it, it was just stupid. I like DGB, I love his mongrel and I think he has a future at the Hawks but he can’t be that stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back