List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

And with Murphy retired is there any point rushing McStay back?
The season is cooked anyway
FFS. Frampton has come alive. Schultz is an upgrade on Ginnivan. Oldies have started slowly as they did shortened preseasons, but if you're writing them off you're silly. Our pressure is back. Personnel wise we're in slightly better shape than the last 3 quarters of the Grand Final - just got to clean up our skills, which have been really sloppy so far this year and have a few find some form and we'll get on a roll.

I don't think the season is necessarily cooked.

Yes it's a slower start than usual but there is time to recover.

In terms of the MSD - the player needs to be plug n play. So the most likely is a midfielder - maybe an outside mid? We already have Sullivan re inside mid.

Nah I disagree

If the season can stay even and we can hit 4-5/5-5 we'll be fine.

Especially if Dean can come along or if we can be smart enough to take Sofronidis in the MSD is the closest like for like for Murphy we're going to find

He's 2cm taller and a year younger than Murphy and plays a similar defensive role. Would be the best option imo.

Nah I disagree

Especially if Dean can come along or if we can be smart enough to take Sofronidis in the MSD is the closest like for like for Murphy we're going to find

He's 2cm taller and a year younger than Murphy and plays a similar defensive role. Would be the best option imo.

Do we need to recruit another Murphy? What is happening with Jakob Ryan?

Cooked?! Nothing is cooked! Not with 18 games to play. After a very slow start to the season we've won our last two and are now a win off a top 8 spot. We play the 3rd placed team this week - beat them and we'll be just a win behind them.

I don't think the season is necessarily cooked.

Yes it's a slower start than usual but there is time to recover.

In terms of the MSD - the player needs to be plug n play. So the most likely is a midfielder - maybe an outside mid? We already have Sullivan re inside mid.

I don't think many are plug and play as they have to learn the system - the exceptions being Long and Sofronidis as they've done a preseason. If we do use th midseason draft it'll be for longer term.

Nah I disagree

Sof would be a like for like for Howe - who is playing a lot of spare man in defense. Sof's not going to play on an AFL KPF like Murphy did - they'd eat him alive. Dean and Eyre are our depth for that (they may also get eaten alive - no idea on Eyre.

Do we need to recruit another Murphy? What is happening with Jakob Ryan?

Why wouldn't we recruit a Murphy?

Eyre is 200cm . He's a traditional tall
Dean is 195cm. He's an "undersized key" and not ready yet
TJ is too young right now
Howe will most likely retire at season's end

I personally would argue Sof is almost exactly what we should be going for. He's young enough at 23 to still be playing alongside Q, TJ and Dean long term to by the next "back 6" for Collingwood going forward

Dean 24
Sof 23
TJ 19
Q 24

Sof would be a like for like for Howe - who is playing a lot of spare man in defense. Sof's not going to play on an AFL KPF like Murphy did - they'd eat him alive. Dean and Eyre are our depth for that (they may also get eaten alive - no idea on Eyre.

I mean that's ok. I personally disagree. He's been playing on keys ok at VFL level

Just needs a pre-season going hard at the gym and I reckon he'll be fine. Especially short term while Frampton is doing so well and can take the main key forward.

He's 23 and I have faith that if required, he'll build the requisite strength to play the 2nd tall role if needed as Murphy did

I'm not sure how it works but if a player is medically retired, surely you'd be allowed to sign another straight away. Is this not correct? Or are sides expected to be playing several players down each year once the "concussion retirement train" rolls on?

Why wouldn't we recruit a Murphy?

Eyre is 200cm . He's a traditional tall
Dean is 195cm. He's an "undersized key" and not ready yet
TJ is too young right now
Howe will most likely retire at season's end

I personally would argue Sof is almost exactly what we should be going for. He's young enough at 23 to still be playing alongside Q, TJ and Dean long term to by the next "back 6" for Collingwood going forward

Dean 24
Sof 23
TJ 19
Q 24
Charlie Dean is just 22, BTW (23 in June).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure how it works but if a player is medically retired, surely you'd be allowed to sign another straight away. Is this not correct? Or are sides expected to be playing several players down each year once the "concussion retirement train" rolls on?
No, you have to wait until the mid-season draft before you can bring in a replacement. Melbourne didn't get to bring in someone for Brayshaw a couple of months back.

It used to be that you could bring someone off the rookie list onto the main list to replace a long-term injured or retired player, but now everyone on the list is able to play from Rd. 1 onwards (including Cat. B Rookies). We had/have 43 players on our list this year, and I think that's more than enough to come up with a decent enough side (even though I suspect we will bring in a new player in the MSD now)!

Last edited:
I mean that's ok. I personally disagree. He's been playing on keys ok at VFL level

Just needs a pre-season going hard at the gym and I reckon he'll be fine. Especially short term while Frampton is doing so well and can take the main key forward.

He's 23 and I have faith that if required, he'll build the requisite strength to play the 2nd tall role if needed as Murphy did

Fair enough. I thought you were talking about immediate role.

With Billy kicking on, I think we're fine for backs. Moore and Frampton - Dean and Eyre developing. Howe as spare man. They don't mind using Maynard or Howe as talls either. Sof might be a Howe style replacement - with the outside chance of becoming a KPD.

If the wheels do fall off this year, I'd like them to see how Moore guys as forward/ruck, in which case we'd probably need to chase a genuine KPD. But hoping the wheels don't fall off.

Watching Long on Sunday his potential remains, it's surprising he was cut by Hawthorn or wasn't picked up by the 17 other teams as a DFA.

At least we had the sense to seek him out for our VFL team unlike others.

The front runner at present but I'm not convinced he'll last to our pick if his good form persists.

I'd present to him the option of sitting out the MSD with a guarantee he'll be signed as DFA at seasons end.

No, you have to wait until the mid-season draft before you can bring in a replacement. Melbourne didn't get to bring in someone for Brayshaw a couple of months back.

Hmmmm its interesting then....because the "retirement" is totally out of a clubs hands and it can take weeks / months to arrive at a decision. If you get 2-3 concussion incidents in a year (not out of the question) then you'll be 2-3 players short for an entire season.

Fair enough. I thought you were talking about immediate role.

With Billy kicking on, I think we're fine for backs. Moore and Frampton - Dean and Eyre developing. Howe as spare man. They don't mind using Maynard or Howe as talls either. Sof might be a Howe style replacement - with the outside chance of becoming a KPD.

If the wheels do fall off this year, I'd like them to see how Moore guys as forward/ruck, in which case we'd probably need to chase a genuine KPD. But hoping the wheels don't fall off.

Well the potential of Moore playing forward is just another reason I'd want us to take Sof

Sof, Frampton, Maynard (playing slightly taller), Howe (playing slightly taller), Dean, Eyre (when he returns) and even Kreuger (should he even ever play again) are all possible "talls" than can allow us to at least try Moore forward

I'm also a believer that you can never have too many defenders/forwards, especially at a Club like ours where they seem to drop like flies

So I’d normally say go find a KPF to fill the list spot and I’ll still say that because we have none but if Ned Long is available at our pick then snap him up immediately.

Well the potential of Moore playing forward is just another reason I'd want us to take Sof

Sof, Frampton, Maynard (playing slightly taller), Howe (playing slightly taller), Dean, Eyre (when he returns) and even Kreuger (should he even ever play again) are all possible "talls" than can allow us to at least try Moore forward

I'm also a believer that you can never have too many defenders/forwards, especially at a Club like ours where they seem to drop like flies
Unfortunately, list sizes mean that you can have too many. Our smalls have been remarkably durable the last 2 and a bit years, whilst our talls have got injured willy nilly, which makes it feel like our list needs more talls, but you've got to have some small depth and some developing kids there too.

Hmmmm its interesting then....because the "retirement" is totally out of a clubs hands and it can take weeks / months to arrive at a decision. If you get 2-3 concussion incidents in a year (not out of the question) then you'll be 2-3 players short for an entire season.
I just added a bit to that post of mine which I also think is pretty reasonable. It's a fair bit better now than it was in terms of replacing long-term injured or retired players mid-season. We have 43 players on our list - (the minimum) 36 on the Primary List, 6 Category A Rookies, and 1 Category B Rookie. Under the rules from just a few years back we'd have brought one of those Rookies onto the main list to replace McStay for a while, and now we'd be replacing Murphy with another of them. The rest of the rookies couldn't play at senior level (without another LTI or retirement). All of those rookies are now eligible to play from Rd. 1 onwards, regardless of injuries. So it's a heck of a lot better than it was! We should still have more than enough players to pick a good side from, and we can bring in someone in the MSD if we see fit.

FFS. Frampton has come alive. Schultz is an upgrade on Ginnivan. Oldies have started slowly as they did shortened preseasons, but if you're writing them off you're silly. Our pressure is back. Personnel wise we're in slightly better shape than the last 3 quarters of the Grand Final - just got to clean up our skills, which have been really sloppy so far this year and have a few find some form and we'll get on a roll.
He’s a downgrade on Adams though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back