Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The last 2 drafts I was all for getting the best available talent with our top picks.

Now that we have the likes of Sheeze, Warlord, McKercher and Duursma, I'd like to see us change to a needs based focus.

I feel we still need to address our key position stocks with quality top end talent to add to Will Dawson, Logue and Larkey to compliment our young midfield. I know we brought a number of guys in last year but we can't assume they're all going to "make it" or take us to a Premiership.
It might mean trading the pick for an established player.

Freo have 3 first rounders don't they? Their own, Pies and was it Syd or Crows, i can't remember?
Yep freo have 3 albeit seems 2 will go to swans who then we could target to get those and they move up

Gc have another 2 firsts also and will trade them out as they have another academy kid who will go top 10

Be nice if afl changes academy rules this year to not give anyone the chance to match inside 20

Agreed but i'd still be prepared to split our first round pick if it meant we could get 2 first rounders that would secure the best available types of player's that we need.

For example, god forbid, we have pick 2 again, if we could split that into picks 9 and 10 and that would be enough for us to secure the likes of Shanahan & Trainor, then I'd prefer to do that then take another mid.

We know these KPP's take a few years so we need to get them in the club asap so they are ready to hit their straps when our young midfield is ready to reach its full potential.
I'm best available 9 times out of 10 but as we're both saying at some stage you eventually have to pull the trigger for balance.

Melbourne did as well an executed list build heading into 2021 as we've seen. Broke up early picks to get Salem, Lever, May, Pickett :( etc to round out their elite core talent.

Agreed but i'd still be prepared to split our first round pick if it meant we could get 2 first rounders that would secure the best available types of player's that we need.

For example, god forbid, we have pick 2 again, if we could split that into picks 9 and 10 and that would be enough for us to secure the likes of Shanahan & Trainor, then I'd prefer to do that then take another mid.

We know these KPP's take a few years so we need to get them in the club asap so they are ready to hit their straps when our young midfield is ready to reach its full potential.
The answer is always IMO - It depends.

An imposing first game from key forward prospect Jack Whitlock. On a breezy day that wasnt conducive to high marking or accurate kicking, Jack got better as the game went on, ending up with 4 goals and 20 disposals and was almost as impressive on the ground as in the air.

Reckon Hawks are on course for pick 2!!

However, if we somehow had pick 2, very hard not to take a Smillie IF he is still available especially IF Zuhaar leaves as we would want a 1st rounder for him then we have another late 1st rounder which puts us where the majority of the KP's will likely fall.

If Draper, O'Sullivan, Smith, Smillie, Gross, Herbert, Moraes and say Lalor are so even, IMO, l think WCE will take a Draper, O'Sullivan or Smith with their 1st pick rather than big body like Smillie or Lalor since they have Ginbey and Hewett plus Reid so you think they want a bit of silk in the midfield.
But will their new list manager, would they split pick 1 and if they have a repeat of last year, you know they will scream priority package?

Freo have 3 x first rounders.(1 tied to Pies, the other to Port) - you'd imagine that if they were to launch a bid on Logan McDonald, one of these gets used. If not, one on Zurhaar as well?

GC have 3 x first rounders. (1 tied to Doggies the other our assistance package) - you think one will be spent on a Lombard match, would they use the other on a disgruntled McRae?

Sydney have 2 x first rounders. (1 tied to our assistence package) - If Cochran stars, one of these might be spent on him. Then if they get a Freo pick, you'd presume they try and lure a KPD from another side using a 1st rounder since they are in the window?

Carlton are likely to spend theirs on matching one of the Campo twins (Ben?) in the 1st round.

Adelaide are like to spend theirs on matching Welsh bid.

Brissie needs the points for Ashcroft and if Sam Marshal has a blinder, they'll need to match that offer too!

So early, so many machinations yet to play out. !!!

1711598048077.png
1711598260138.png
Twins - Jack (200cm) and Matt Whitlock (197cm)

#20 Jack Whitlock
Key Forward | 200cm | 16/05/2006

Stats:
20 disposals, 7 marks, 4 goals

Finished for the day with four goals and easily could have been more. He’s an excellent mover for his height and excellent overhead. Positions himself well in the contest to make it hard for his opponent and managed to take a few marks, while also drawing a few free kicks in the contest. He worked well alongside Murphy in the same forward line, however can work on his set shot kicking on an angle, finishing with four behinds. His work rate with his leading patterns were fantastic.

Last edited:
After a slow start playing in the forward line, a move into the midfield in the second quarter sparked Jagga into life. He found a lot of the footy and drove his team forward, but tended to be a little wasteful by foot like many of his teammates on the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Hawks are on course for pick 2!!

However, if we somehow had pick 2, very hard not to take a Smillie IF he is still available especially IF Zuhaar leaves as we would want a 1st rounder for him then we have another late 1st rounder which puts us where the majority of the KP's will likely fall.

If Draper, O'Sullivan, Smith, Smillie, Gross, Herbert, Moraes and say Lalor are so even, IMO, l think WCE will take a Draper, O'Sullivan or Smith with their 1st pick rather than big body like Smillie or Lalor since they have Ginbey and Hewett plus Reid so you think they want a bit of silk in the midfield.
But will their new list manager, would they split pick 1 and if they have a repeat of last year, you know they will scream priority package?

Freo have 3 x first rounders.(1 tied to Pies, the other to Port) - you'd imagine that if they were to launch a bid on Logan McDonald, one of these gets used. If not, one on Zurhaar as well?

GC have 3 x first rounders. (1 tied to Doggies the other our assistance package) - you think one will be spent on a Lombard match, would they use the other on a disgruntled McRae?

Sydney have 2 x first rounders. (1 tied to our assistence package) - If Cochran stars, one of these might be spent on him. Then if they get a Freo pick, you'd presume they try and lure a KPD from another side using a 1st rounder since they are in the window?

Carlton are likely to spend theirs on matching one of the Campo twins (Ben?) in the 1st round.

Adelaide are like to spend theirs on matching Welsh bid.

Brissie needs the points for Ashcroft and if Sam Marshal has a blinder, they'll need to match that offer too!

So early, so many machinations yet to play out. !!!
Sounds like there could be some first rounders up for grabs

Our strategy really all revolves around what happens with Zurhaar. If we get another top 10 compensation pick.

Take the best available out of Simile, Sullivan, Moraes, Draper and Smith then take a punt on the leading KPP candidate.

If not there’s enough quality in the first round to split the pick.

After a slow start playing in the forward line, a move into the midfield in the second quarter sparked Jagga into life. He found a lot of the footy and drove his team forward, but tended to be a little wasteful by foot like many of his teammates on the day.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to watch as many of your videos this year as I was hoping for more team success. It looks like that won't be the case and I'll be watching every upload like last year.

We can kiss Zurhaar goodbye so we're gonna have picks 2 & 3 I'd guess again if we play the priority pick hardball.

one of us GIF

After seeing our midfield get smashed today, it has only reaffirmed that we should take the best midfielder with pick 1, 2 or 3 (which we will definitely have). Trade or FA for a KPD & KPF.

After seeing our midfield get smashed today, it has only reaffirmed that we should take the best midfielder with pick 1, 2 or 3 (which we will definitely have). Trade or FA for a KPD & KPF.
Make it a small mid, we need more of those. LOL
It's gonna be pick 1 or 2. We are better than WC but they might beat us in Perth.

Ignoring the rest of the article:

“North Melbourne’s talent scouts have spoken with Dandenong Stingrays key defender Noah Mraz, a 198-centimetre athlete who shapes as a potential first-round prospect in November.”

What does our team think of him?

From 2023:

Noah Mraz (Stingrays/Narre North Foxes): Was one of only four players in the Vic Country squad this year as a bottom-ager, emphasising the potential that those in the industry see in the developing Narre North tall. Looks most comfortable in a key defensive post where he uses his size and skills to good effect.

Ignoring the rest of the article:

“North Melbourne’s talent scouts have spoken with Dandenong Stingrays key defender Noah Mraz, a 198-centimetre athlete who shapes as a potential first-round prospect in November.”

What does our team think of him?
You would assume we would be speaking to every draft prospect at this early stage wouldn’t you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back