Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sign him up now. 'Had a dream to play for North Melbourne"

If keeps going the way he is going, he is going to be in the conversation for pick one.
That is a tick from me. Grandfather Doug Wade, dream is to play for North Melbourne, very good key defender, some or should I say lots of people get fixated on certain heights an example, if your not 195cm ,no good you have to be able to handle the monsters, 192/193/194 is fine, if you have the potential, ability and and know how to play your position then 3cm isn't going to make any difference at all. Just in case some people that don't know Luke's height, it is 194cm, at the moment.

The other thing is that usually the best key defender {with the odd exception} goes between 5 and 9 in the national draft.
So with that in mind and the fact recruiters don't pick key defenders at the first couple of picks. Last year Daniel Curtin went at pick 8 and Connor O'Sullivan went at pick 11. Clubs talk or should I say recruiters have a fair idea on who is interested in who and even if they are not quite sure on a couple of clubs they will observe things like in the last 4 or 5 drafts what players and positions the club/clubs in question have selected, lots of strategy is involved from time to time.

Also sometimes a club will have say, 3 players at a certain pick and apart from a needs point of view when its their pick they will wait and see if the phone rings from opposition clubs and see what offers come for that pick, like a club might offer them a future first or second pick and also give them their pick which is 3/4/5/ spots away but they jump at the chance to get that kid who they have targeted and the club in question gets to pick one of the 3 boys they had in equal value and gain a future first or second round pick for virtually nothing.

So again at this years national draft if people are wondering why clubs are taking their full allotment of time, its for this very reason or the fact that they are having trouble on who to select with their own pick, example, two guys they didn't expect to be there, have fallen into their laps and now they have a dilemma. One last point is that just say we do end up having pick 1 at the draft and we want Luke I'd be very surprised if we picked him at 1, there would be three or four clubs right behind us that would jump at the chance to get the no1 pick and choice and give up a future first or second like I mentioned earlier and we would still get Luke.

Sign him up now. 'Had a dream to play for North Melbourne"

If keeps going the way he is going, he is going to be in the conversation for pick one.
My son is mates with him. He would love nothing more than playing for North. He’s a great kid too. Excellent competitor as well.

Luke Trainor, top 5 draft prospect and the grandson of Doug Wade.

Fairly certain thats not even where the North connection comes from, it runs deeper than Wade.

His Aunt is Gabrielle Trainor, AO, AFL commissioner, Sport Australia board member, National Film board member, shes also on the board of WSU (And an extremely big NMFC fan)

Fairly certain Luke (as Gabrielle is), is related to the Trainor family that was heavily involved in North in the 70's, 80's, 90's.

Tony being North President in the 70's and on the North committee that built the side in the early 70's with Ron Joseph, Allen Aylett, Mantello etc. Tony's father Frank was also president.

Keka another that was close with the Trainor brothers over the years.

Last edited:

Yeah they are solid North through generations.

Fairly certain thats not even where the North connection comes from, it runs deeper than Wade.

His Aunt is Gabrielle Trainor, AO, AFL commissioner, Sport Australia board member, National Film board member, shes also on the board of WSU (And an extremely big NMFC fan)

Fairly certain Luke (as Gabrielle is), is related to the Trainor family that was heavily involved in North in the 70's, 80's, 90's.

Tony being North President in the 70's and on the North committee that built the side in the early 70's with Ron Joseph, Allen Aylett, Mantello etc.

Keka another that was close with the Trainor brothers over the years.
Yeah, I mentioned the connection a few pages back.

Also BFNAAK.

Likely first-rounder Luke Trainor is the grandson of champion 1000-goalkicker Doug Wade and the nephew of AFL Commissioner Gabrielle Trainor

GABRIELLE TRAINOR, AO

Gabrielle Trainor’s background is as a lawyer, journalist, public sector executive and consultant in public policy, government relations and issues management. She has more than 25 years’ experience as a non-executive director in entities operating in urban development, major projects, transport and infrastructure. Her current positions include as Interim Chair of Infrastructure Australia, as an adviser to the Major Transport Infrastructure Authority (Vic), a board member of the Western Parkland City Authority (NSW), construction company Built Group Holdings Limited and listed investment company WAM Global. She is a trustee of the Charlie Perkins Trust, a member of the AIATSIS Foundation Council and an advisor to law firm Gadens. Trainor was appointed as an inaugural Director of the Greater Western Sydney Giants Football Club in 2011 and chaired the Giants’ Integrity Committee. She has lifelong experience in football, from volunteering for the Willoughby Wildcats in the Sydney AFL juniors’ competition to sitting on the AFL Commission NSW/ACT for 10 years, where she championed the movement to better integrate the Sydney Women’s AFL with the Commission. Her grandfather, Frank, and father, Tony, were presidents of North Melbourne for a total of 22 years. Appointed to the AFL Commission in March 2016.

So Gabrielle is Francis' sister.

Luke could be former North marketing manager Francis' son then, or another son, as Francis would have been 48 when Luke was born.
I asked that before as well, but I don't think anybody here knows.
Luke Trainor would be Francis' son, yeah?

Gabrielle is his Aunt.

Which means his grandfather and great grandfather were both North presidents.

As big a BFNAAK connection as you can get.
Yeah, Frank Trainor was president back in the 40's.

Yeah, Frank Trainor was president back in the 40's.

Tony was president from 1965-71.

I believe Frank may be the longest serving NMFC president. 1940-1951.

All of Frank, Tony and Francis are all life members of the club.

Francis is also one of the very few supporters elected to "Patrons" of the football club. I believe these were granted to major shareholders, right? As they exist between members and life members in the constitution and contain all the heavy hitters like Ansett, De Rauch etc.

I doubt there's a draft prospect (related to our club) that could claim 3 generations of life members.

It never triggered with me that Luke was related to the North Trainors.

Last edited:
Gabrielle is his Aunt.

Which means his grandfather and great grandfather were both North presidents.

As big a BFNAAK connection as you can get.

Couldn’t be more perfect that if we draft him at 1 then he goes onto being a generational talent and plays a big role in us winning multiple flags.

Love me a good fairy tale!

Add in River Stevens to that picture and it makes it even more perfect.

It’s meant to be, I can feel it in my loins!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tony was president from 1965-71.

I believe Frank may be the longest serving NMFC president. 1940-1951.

All of Frank, Tony and Francis are all life members of the club.

Francis is also one of the very few supporters elected to "Patrons" of the football club. I believe these were granted to major shareholders, right? As they exist between members and life members in the constitution and contain all the heavy hitters like Ansett, De Rauch etc.

I doubt there's a draft prospect (related to our club) that could claim 3 generations of life members.

It never triggered with me that Luke was related to the North Trainors.
Yes the Patrons were all the major shareholders who handed their shares back to the club in 2008.

I reckon our next assistance package should be that we get all the BFNAAK players from the 2024 National Draft.
I'd be happy if they allow us to father-son for 50 games, instead of 100, as well as having served as a coach/official etc.

It's not going to happen, but seeing Josh Kelly, Jack Buckley, all the Brayshaws, Joel Smith, Charlie Spargo, the Lizard at Sydney, and then new draftees like Tyler Welsh and Luke Trainor also have club links - would be nice to have them for a discount...

We got LMac instead. And Bailey Scott. Two of the fan favourites on this forum.

Couldn’t be more perfect that if we draft him at 1 then he goes onto being a generational talent and plays a big role in us winning multiple flags.

Love me a good fairy tale!

Add in River Stevens to that picture and it makes it even more perfect.

It’s meant to be, I can feel it in my loins!
What about Brady’s loins

I'd be happy if they allow us to father-son for 50 games, instead of 100, as well as having served as a coach/official etc.

It's not going to happen, but seeing Josh Kelly, Jack Buckley, all the Brayshaws, Joel Smith, Charlie Spargo, the Lizard at Sydney, and then new draftees like Tyler Welsh and Luke Trainor also have club links - would be nice to have them for a discount...

We got LMac instead. And Bailey Scott. Two of the fan favourites on this forum.
We could of picked Spargo.....Picked Will Walker instead! who was responsible for that howler was that before Luffy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back