Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 'shit posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

Well beat the Swans next week. They have some special players like Blakey, Guilden and Heeney.

But if mccartin isn't playing (or even if he us) I can't see how they can stop our talls up forward . And I can't see how Amartey, Maclean and the likes can worry our defenders too much.

Just quietly Freo are a chance to beat them tomorrow night.
Forecast is for p...... down rain.

Jekyll and Hyde team

Got overrun by a team with 48hrs less rest.

So good for 2.5 qtrs. So good.

The poor for a qtr.

Then deplorable for last 15 mins.

Bizarre.

Bank the win but some serious problems to solve to become a premiership threat.
That was our 3rd game in 13 days. All against top 4 contenders.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It needed to be done.

I have never seen anything like this after a WIN.

Right? 2-2 in a run of GWS, Geelong, Collingwood and Melbourne, with players going in and out of the team every week.

I mean, I called it a choke in the game day thread but my emotions were running high and I was desperate for us to hold on. Once it was done and we held on, I remembered that I was thinking half way through the last quarter that we couldn't run and we needed to get everyone back in defence. I saw Kennedy and Elijah fighting for a ground ball with a Melbourne player in the centre square after a ball up, and suddenly both sat down on their bums, while the Dees player picked up the ball and cleared it. I know fatigue. I have chronic fatigue. Those guys were out. Alarm bells were going off.

We won a tight game against a top 4 contender after losing 3 of our last 4 and on the brink of tipping out of the 8. We had 3 players coming back in after several weeks out, another in his 2nd game after several weeks out, and 2 more coming back in after being dropped last week. Dees had 1 change. We did well to find our cohesion and hit the ground running. It's no surprise that quite a few in our side were gassed by the end.

4 points earned. Our downward spiral has stopped. We can still compete with good teams when not everything is going our way.

I'm going to have a good weekend. Very happy we held on.

Yep. The weekend is always sweet when you secure the win before Friday.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I see it as us just having to hold on until our list is fit and our pieces are all in place, and come home with a wet sail.

We should be nowhere near it with the injuries we have had, but the system allows us to stay in games always, and allows role players to shine.
I agree, injuries and bringing in injury restricted players have hurt us. we have to manage those players now. some can come good, this year we will see.

Just got home, a little wet from walking to Flinders Station.

Great win by the team, it was always going to be tough to maintain a 5 goal lead against a good side like Melbourne but apart from Petracca most other dangerous players were well held.

Fortunate goal to the Demons from a ball that almost crossed the line for a point. How May wasn’t pinged for HTB is staggering.

Anyways to be the underdog, then lead for the whole game and come away with the 4 points is a fair effort.

Go Blues!

Wilson is a kid playing in the twos with a bright future - but is hardly coming into this game & changing fortunes.

Carroll we’ve all seen - again has shown some things - ask yourself why he was dropped?

I don’t see how either would have changed our outcome tonight.
It's about relieving pain points to unlock opportunities and respite for others.

Do you feel Carroll would have put in a worse performance than Kennedy? What about Wilson versus what Cowan did?
I also don’t see how calling Cripps & Walsh arrogant is respectful, dignified or showing humility.
I cannot be clearer and more balanced with my thoughts on this, and this just comes across as bait given I've already covered the matter heavily in direct replies to you, so that's me for the night.

Yep. The weekend is always sweet when you secure the win before Friday.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sit back and watch the rest of the plebs go through the agony and the ecstasy. It's a long week for Melbourne fans though. You'd think that if half of our supporters aren't happy, that half of theirs must be. Guarantee none of them are though. Blockbuster game. Huge MCG crowd. Two contenders going head to head, and no bastard is happy afterwards. What a waste of a game huh? :)

It's usually like this after a 100 point loss. Some of our supporters are seriously bad winners.

You know what, we should have lost that game in the end….we ended up in a position we should never have been in and we were a somewhat 50/50 free kick away from being mentally shot.

Make no mistake, that would have mortally wounded our confidence

There’s no way I can be happy with that win.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a bizarre take on what I've written here, and is a rewriting of last year's second half resurgence.

Cripps has improved in terms of these pain points because he's not hatching terrible kicks as often, but his key mistakes in games relate to failing to take a solid first option.

You don't pay midfielders at that level for them to hatch the footy when they have someone in space.

Williams isn't exactly in sparkling form so they didn't have to be a world beater, especially in a team that had 7 defenders already.

Wilson and Carroll could have helped us out on the aggregate instead of Kennedy, Cowan, or maybe Pittonet and instituting a slightly different plan at the stoppage, particularly given the impact Gawn had for them and McKay had for us.
Wilson not ready Jim particularly against tonight’s opponent
Kennedy miles in front of Carroll
Cowan still raw but played his role, improving every game
Pittonet was instrumental in our CB & stoppage clearance work
Besides Cunners who i thought should have played is one of very few on the list who has the speed and skill to genuinely open the game up for us around the ball…

Jekyll and Hyde team

Got overrun by a team with 48hrs less rest.

So good for 2.5 qtrs. So good.

The poor for a qtr.

Then deplorable for last 15 mins.

Bizarre.

Bank the win but some serious problems to solve to become a premiership threat.
I’m curious - who are premiership contenders if not us?

We have beaten Melbourne and GWS.

Geelong? Lost to Melbourne, which we didn’t.

Sydney? Lost to Richmond and were almost beaten by West Coast.

Sit back and watch the rest of the plebs go through the agony and the ecstasy. It's a long week for Melbourne fans though. You'd think that if half of our supporters aren't happy, that half of theirs must be. Guarantee none of them are though. Blockbuster game. Huge MCG crowd. Two contenders going head to head, and no bastard is happy afterwards. What a waste of a game huh? :)
Too bloody right 👌

We still need to find ways to get him involved when teams go out of their way to move the ball around him. Like they did in the second half tonight.

Outlet is usually Saad, a left footer.

Went with Newman who was drunk tonight.😎👍

Ed: Hewitt & Newman have to tidy up their disposal. There’s others….

Do you feel Carroll would have put in a worse performance than Kennedy? What about Wilson versus what Cowan did?

Hell yes, they would have been worse. Kennedy was pretty good IMO. Cowan was quiet. I don't think the other two would have been better. It would have meant 6 changes. Then, you're also calling out two players after the fact. I assume you suggested Kennedy and Cowan for Carroll and Wilson prior to the game?

A well earned 4 points- nice. Looking forward to watching it all in slow motion. Thought Weitering was outstanding and Charlie showed he is able to run down field so maybe is getting over his niggles- which offsets losing Cerra ( again). Martin and McGovern will be better off for their game - both excellent in parts.

Go Blues.

PS I thought we were about a 40% chance at best of winning this one -so positive surprise is always a bonus!

I think supporters have the right to expect more.

Our list is absolutely loaded with superstars.

We’re better than this.

So is theirs.

I count 5 for us and 7-8 for them actually.

Back