Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just like to see him get some easy footy, he's got a nice boot on him.
Make him an easy outlet kick so he can deliver it into 50.
Could you imagine only being able to 6 chances in a whole game to change your form, as a 19 year old. Gosh that's tough.
We talk about Smith and Rozee. Rozee has a much better team right now (playing with the most inform full forward helps as well), and Smith has chances every single bounce, not even close to the issues that Blakey has had dumped on him.

Either drop and get some confidence into him, or give some easy ball to bring his foot into the game.

Rozee imo will be a top 5 player in 3 years
OK? I'm not talking about how good or bad Rozee is, he just doesn't have as many headaches as Blakey does at this moment.
Blakey has to deal with being a key forward with an out of form Hayward and a (albeit incredibly talented) small forward playing as a buddy replacement.
All this at 19.
Whos forward line would you rather be in? Port or Sydney.

Now I'm not saying that Blakey is better, just that it's not fair to say Blakey should be as good as these other kids when the problems he's facing more annoyances than these other kids.

OK? I'm not talking about how good or bad Rozee is, he just doesn't have as many headaches as Blakey does at this moment.
Blakey has to deal with being a key forward with an out of form Hayward and a (albeit incredibly talented) small forward playing as a buddy replacement.
All this at 19.
Whos forward line would you rather be in? Port or Sydney.

Now I'm not saying that Blakey is better, just that it's not fair to say Blakey should be as good as these other kids when the problems he's facing more annoyances than these other kids.
Is he a KF though

I am not completely convinced it is work rate. He had 17 pressure acts, his average speed in attack was equal 1st on the ground and of his 5 possessions 4 of them were wing and towards the opposition forward line (our defence).

I just think he is struggling to get into the game and exert himself physically and therefore also lacking a bit of confidence rather than a lack of effort. I could be wrong.

I’d be playing him off a wing, perhaps even a run at half back, just to get him running with, past and onto the ball rather than coming to the ball which he just isn’t able to compete physically with his opponent yet.

Do not need another lightweight down there. Lloyd,Alir and Dawson are about as physical in a contest as Shirley Temple so Blakey down there dancing around contests on his toes doing his best Rudolf Nureyev impersonations would turn an already brittle back line into a complete ****ing calamity. If he isn't physically capable of competing with an opponent be it either forward or back he should not be playing at the level. Inventing scenarios for him to be able to get a kick is not going to do his development any good. He should be playing seconds football atm as should Hayward.

Do not need another lightweight down there. Lloyd,Alir and Dawson are about as physical in a contest as Shirley Temple so Blakey down there dancing around contests on his toes doing his best Rudolf Nureyev impersonations would turn an already brittle back line into a complete ****ing calamity. If he isn't physically capable of competing with an opponent be it either forward or back he should not be playing at the level. Inventing scenarios for him to be able to get a kick is not going to do his development any good. He should be playing seconds football atm as should Hayward.
I think that's why Mills has been kept in defence for so long. Take out Mills and Rampe and our defenders are just so much soft meat.

I am not completely convinced it is work rate. He had 17 pressure acts, his average speed in attack was equal 1st on the ground and of his 5 possessions 4 of them were wing and towards the opposition forward line (our defence).

I just think he is struggling to get into the game and exert himself physically and therefore also lacking a bit of confidence rather than a lack of effort. I could be wrong.

I’d be playing him off a wing, perhaps even a run at half back, just to get him running with, past and onto the ball rather than coming to the ball which he just isn’t able to compete physically with his opponent yet.
Are you serious? Evidence based opinion on Bigfooty? Get the hell out of here with that.

He's been looking no more underdone than half the team. Second year key forward, prefer we stick with him
He did better last year with some space to work in off the wing and bringing the ball in off half forward flank. Throwing him in as a key forward is a big ask, especially with us generally bombing it in. Of course he's going to get worked off the ball by a bigger bodied defender.

Definitely has the X factor. We need to be patient with projects like Blakey.

He did better last year with some space to work in off the wing and bringing the ball in off half forward flank. Throwing him in as a key forward is a big ask, especially with us generally bombing it in. Of course he's going to get worked off the ball by a bigger bodied defender.

Worth mentioning, last year Blakey more often than not had support from Reid or Buddy. This year McCartin & McLean has been his support with McCartin struggling as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed. There were some on here just six games ago (when he starred on a Friday night end of 2019) who were saying he will be a superstar. Some of those same people are now the ones saying they suspect he won't amount to much.

In saying that, I hope he is dropped for his own development. Even looked off the pace in the Marsh games which was a bit of a dead give away he hadn't come into the season with the right form.

Brilliant post Masey. Couldn't agree more.

Something I don't understand. We had no tall forwards today, so why did we leave Blakey in the midfield where he was clearly struggling and instead put him forward and have him act as a key position player? He may not have kicked many goals, we don't know, but at least he would have offered a target.

Something I don't understand. We had no tall forwards today, so why did we leave Blakey in the midfield where he was clearly struggling and instead put him forward and have him act as a key position player? He may not have kicked many goals, we don't know, but at least he would have offered a target.
From what I could see he was playing forward but all our forwards pushed up to try and help the midfield so we often didn't have a target forward. Or if you believe Hardwick we just constantly flooded our defensive half.

A lot is being asked of Blakey right now and he's only young. Yes he's trying to do too much and needs to go back to basics but I find it disappointing when the only response some supporters have is "drop him!". We have no spine at the moment with almost our entire collection of talls injured so we're not exactly spoiled for choice right now as it is. Keep pumping game time into him because I think he's got the talent to make it.

He's a twig, has next to no experience, is not a key forward, but is ultimately being asked to play #1 key forward.

Cut him some slack right now. He needs to be kicking those fundamental goals though, the pressure of his position might be in his head.

Right now, his ambition s outweigh his abilities. I am sure he will be a fine player, but he needs to keep it simple right now. And stop with the histrionics, not a good look for someone getting 8 possies

Got a bit more involved at the end of the game, which was good. I don't think effort was an issue today - had a few second efforts and generally tried hard from what I saw. Still don't really rate him at this stage, but of course he's only 20 so there's plenty of time. I'm just losing a bit of faith in our ability to develop players and put them in the best position to succeed.

I would genuinely like to know where we intend to play him long-term. Not sure that he will be putting on much weight - has skinny shoulders and frame and not built to be a KPF you'd think. Maybe on a wing? His best attribute is his raking left boot - need to take advantage of that skill more.

If he just kicks some of those goals that he goes for. Buddy would of kicked them, but I think that's confidence more than skill. I think he would do well from a spell in the seconds, just to get that dangerous confidence. Kick 4 goals a game easily then get called up. Then he knows he can do it when he has ball in hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back