Player Watch #25: Toby Nankervis

Remove this Banner Ad

Roy Wright tells me you’re a generation before me. I only read about him AT.
I'm not that old Ti. I did have the pleasure of sitting next to the great man at the team of the century function at the Crown back in 2002. He was a very modest man who oozed kindness. Two Brownlow medals sort of tells the story. All the old timers told me just how unbelievably good he was. He was also named our ruckman in the team of the century with Jack Dyer named as ruck rover.

I'm not that old Ti. I did have the pleasure of sitting next to the great man at the team of the century function at the Crown back in 2002. He was a very modest man who oozed kindness. Two Brownlow medals sort of tells the story. All the old timers told me just how unbelievably good he was. He was also named our ruckman in the team of the century with Jack Dyer named as ruck rover.
Too true. About 30 years ago we were driving from somewhere to somewhere else and dropped into the Paynesville pub. I was wearing a Tiger windcheater and a local grabbed me and said there was someone I should meet, it was Roy Wright who was a gentleman and more than happy to chat to a random stranger.
Had the hugest hands!!

I love hearing these stories about old tigers.

My dad is always talking about our premiership stars from the 60’s and 70’s because that’s his generation but it’s interesting for me hearing tales of the generations before that.

I was a year old when we won the 1980 premiership so the premiership players of 2017 are the only one’s I remember watching.

Best ruck ever at Richmond was Roy Wright. Next best was Michael Green. He was a sensation and helped us climb from 4th to win the flag in 1969 and was more than serviceable in 73/74. Mark Lee was one of the first mobile giants who could thump the ball forward 30m. He was a key in our 1980 premiership year. Maric was a fantastic clubman who gave his all - who could ever forget his inspirational goal in the 2013 elim? However, his importance has been more behind the scenes in setting standards. Simmons was a serviceable ruckman but I already rate Nankervis higher because he is just that little bit more skilled and is one of the few ruckmen we have had who actually can play as a linkman around the ground. He takes many marks down back too and can sneak forward for a goal too.
Second, you may be forgetting Craig McKellar. Used to love watching him come off his Michael Holding run up belting the ball to CHF. Didn't last long but he was fun to watch.

Second, you may be forgetting Craig McKellar. Used to love watching him come off his Michael Holding run up belting the ball to CHF. Didn't last long but he was fun to watch.
Let's not forget John Ronaldson who had two huge fourth quarters in '67 and 69 grand finals. If only his son chose footy instead of basketball...

Let's not forget John Ronaldson who had two huge fourth quarters in '67 and 69 grand finals. If only his son chose footy instead of basketball...
Go to youtube and type in John Ronaldson and you will see his two huge last quarter goals at a crucial stage in the match...

Last edited:
Not sure if Mike Green got a run in the 1967 GF, he was 19th man and we had Patterson and Ronaldson for the whole game I believe. He was known for his marking around the ground more than his hitouts as far as I remember.

Nanks has had 110 clearances in one and a half years.
Our recently retired gun Hampson had 55 in 2014-15-16 ad they're hailing him a wonderful contributor.
It was no coincidence we win a flag when Nanks came into the team and the bloe who could only win hit outs and do nothing else was out the way.

I met him in about '84 ......... THE biggest hands I have ever attempted to shake, Roy Wright.
Simply huge hands! And a lovely man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back