Player Watch #25: Toby Nankervis

Remove this Banner Ad

Still took us 20 years
Not like we were going anywhere with Hoggy in the side. In fact that trade enabled us to have our best year 1995 in a very long time.

I would definitely remove Nank and Grimes as captains. That was a horrid decision to begin with. But I’d look at trading Nank for benefitting our list as we are in a bit of a bad spot.

Congrats Nank and a good decision by the club

Brilliant decision. Laughable the amount of people that wanted to throw him away like a soiled nappy because Soldo played like 3 half decent games

Just goes to show how well respected he is within the four walls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brilliant decision. Laughable the amount of people that wanted to throw him away like a soiled nappy because Soldo played like 3 half decent games

Just goes to show how well respected he is within the four walls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spot on mate. I hated the co-captain model and wanted Grimes to focus on his game. Nank is a lunatic on the field and he’ll need to moderate his attack but he’s still young. Could be a skipper for the next 2-3 years.

Hes injuring prone since hitting 25 and now hes 29yo he aint magically getting back to 2020 levels unfortunately. Hope so but unlikely.

Is there a stat on how many of frees he has given away in the d50? He must be leading that cos hes leading the comp in afl free kicks against.

Hes injuring prone since hitting 25 and now hes 29yo he aint magically getting back to 2020 levels unfortunately. Hope so but unlikely.

Is there a stat on how many of frees he has given away in the d50? He must be leading that cos hes leading the comp in afl free kicks against.
29 is prime age for a ruckman....

What a pickup though. Pick 46.

I feel like I’ve responded to this point a few times but he’s not really injury prone at all, he just got very unlucky 4 times.

First injury was from memory a boundary throw in, 2019 against Freo up at Optus. The surface was horrendous that year and he slipped during the contest and did his groin.

Against Adelaide, first bounce of the game he knocked knees with O’Brien and it popped his PCL.

Twice he got ankle syndesmosis from his leg being caught in tackles.

That’s it, 4 bouts of bad luck, his body is fine.

At least Grimes isn't captain anymore as realistically shouldn't still be playing. With Gibcus, Brown and Trezise leapfrogging him he should be teaching the kids in the Magoo's. Think Nank retaining the captaincy is more a reflection of where our lists at. Dusty and Vlastuin not Interested. Lynch and Prestia too old and injury prone. Dan Rioli and Bolton too shy. 70% of list ruled out through inexperience.

Baker and Broad potentially moving back to WA. Graham failed to kick on. Balta an empty head. Personally would've preferred Taranto or Short as Captain. I suppose at end of the day Captains only really toss the coin and speak to the media. No one could question Dusty's leadership through actions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we’ve picked up the bloke who was keeping him out of the side for nothing. Sliding doors
Sliding hospital doors.

Ryan virtually debuted this season too and rucked well. I hope Naismith is 3rd in line but traded in players usually get games. Nank misses a lot of footy so it gives depth players a chance

Last edited:
Sliding hospital doors.

Ryan virtually debuted this season too and rucked well. I hope Naismith is 3rd in line but traded in players usually get games. Nank misses a lot of footy so it gives depth players a chance

Suspect Naismith will be second ruck whilst Ryan continues to develop. It’s a good plan

Does anybody know if Toby has had a full or close to full pre season? Any info on his pre season at all?

Toby Nankervis racing the clock for Opening Round while battling plantar fasciitis
Richmond’s skipper has revealed he’s battling a serious foot injury which could keep him out of the Tigers’ Opening Round clash on the Gold Coast – and potentially beyond.
Richmond captain Toby Nankervis has revealed he is battling the troublesome plantar fasciitis as he pushes to be ready for an Opening Round clash against Damien Hardwick’s Gold Coast.
Nankervis will be put through his paces in a gruelling training session ahead of the Tigers’ Charity Shield clash against Collingwood on Tuesday instead of taking on the reigning premiers.
Nankervis has been reported to have battled a foot injury over summer. On Monday he told this masthead the issue was with his plantar fascia, a painful inflammation to the band of tissue running along the sole of the foot.
While it can resolve itself, other players have needed surgery for an issue that can linger for much of the season.
But while it has flared in recent weeks, Nankervis believes he can still make a run to play the Suns on March 9.
“It’s the plantar fascia, but I have managed it pretty well over the pre-season. I feel in a really good spot with it now and it’s getting a bit better every session. I have just managed that in the last couple of weeks and I have been a bit slower, but it’s a big session tomorrow and hopefully I can pull-up all right. I won’t play tomorrow night, but hopefully I get through training tomorrow and see how it pulls up.”
Ex-Sydney ruckman Sam Naismith seems certain to make his club debut after an excellent summer, with the club able to cover the loss of Ivan Soldo after he was traded to Port Adelaide.
“He (Naismith) has had a great summer, as well as Samson Ryan. I feel like we are in a good spot in that area of the ground,” he said.
“Sam has been awesome and he’s a great character and person as well. He’s been around footy clubs for a long time and he’s also added a lot to our culture.
“Dion (Prestia, hamstring) might be a chance to play tomorrow. We are pretty fit. Lynchy (Tom Lynch) is the other one. I am sure he will play early parts of the season and he looks incredibly fit, so I can’t wait.”
Meanwhile, proud Tasmanian Nankervis threw his weight behind the push for a new Macquarie Point stadium in Hobart. The North Launceston product said the AFL club could be a destination for AFL players but needed a state-of-the-art stadium. “It is massive,” he said of the push for a new stadium.
“It has to be in the right spot, it has to be big enough to get as many people as they can there, so it’s absolutely paramount to get that right.
“I am a little bit biased, but it’s a great place Tasmania, and Hobart has added so much in recent years. It’s a great place and it’s getting bigger and better. It would be a really good place for an AFL team and I think it would be a destination where players want to go.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back