Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Selection feels pretty appropriate when you look at it from the perspective of rewarding pre-season form.
Can't say I thought Shiels was better than Phillips in preseason games, and did Ford even play in an actual preseason game at AFL level?

Nah. I reckon Phillips must have pulled up at training today.

I’m sure the coaching staff have provided reasons for not being picked, and importantly what he needs to do at the VFL level to force his way into the side. I consider this a good thing for the club that, with very few injuries that competition for spots is at an all time high. There will be injuries and players who will be dropped. So he just needs to take his opportunity when it comes and not get dropped again. I assume it’s the last year of his contract, so the pressure is on for him to get another deal. Best of luck WillPhil

(Log in to remove this ad.)

will played well in both of the opportunities he got in the pre-season games. far more than you can say for shiels or tucker
Clarko singled him out for praise multiple times.

Not even an emergency. I just don't get it, he's been good when given a chance this preseason. Must be something in training?
I agree he’s been good this preseason but he’s never started in the blue (probables) team this preseason he’s always been in the yellow team. The coaching group clearly don’t see him as best 22. I’m a big fan of Will but it’s apparent he’s got a fight on his hands for a spot in the seniors.

Oh No GIF by Adult Swim
If it helps I heard the same thing, lol. Still the moment you posted it I had a "fuark I have a feeling" moment.

I find it hard to believe he isn’t in our best 25 (not included in the emergencies).

I just hope that once he gets his opportunity he seizes it with both hands.
Maybe they’d prefer he lead the midfield in the 2’s getting plenty of game time rather than sitting out altogether if he were an emergency that doesn’t get called up. Keep his fitness up.

He’s not an adaptable sub either. Ford and Shiel are a lot more versatile.

In saying that, he could be an emergency and play in the 2’s. I’m not sure when they play - just speculating.

If it helps I heard the same thing, lol. Still the moment you posted it I had a "fuark I have a feeling" moment.

The person who told me, who is pretty spot on with this stuff, was absolutely flabbergasted he wasn't in the 25.

No one knows why at this stage, but she and I both reckon he must have tweaked something at training today.

The idea of him playing was nice but he hardly averaging 35 touches and 10 tackles in the preseason, it's not really that shocking.

Yeah but he was by far our leader in midfield clearances, if I recall correctly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back