Past #3 Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

Having a think about Dyl's trajectory and wondering if he might just end up where he wanted to be from the start. He has bulked up quite significantly, has good burst speed and a tank. Good for on the wing but also pretty handy for two way running as a mid. BB suggested he might get some time inside and I reckon he could be onto something. Start with stoppages and progress later to CBAs.

Having a think about Dyl's trajectory and wondering if he might just end up where he wanted to be from the start. He has bulked up quite significantly, has good burst speed and a tank. Good for on the wing but also pretty handy for two way running as a mid. BB suggested he might get some time inside and I reckon he could be onto something. Start with stoppages and progress later to CBAs.
In the GF he bounced off Dangerfield like a bird hitting a window (tbf not due to any lack of effort on Dyl's part). Will need to be considerably stronger to play much time inside, but I hope you're right as I like his endeavor.

Eh, his biggest strength by far as a player is his monster tank that he's finally figured out how to use it to his advantage. I think it's a waste to move him inside, he doesn't have the burst or clean hands to win clearances, and he lacks the strength to stop other inside mids.

He really impressed me with his late season form, particularly his efforts during the finals.

I've always questioned whether he was the right choice because I wanted us to take serong, and serong has been phenomenal, while Stephens took a little while to find his feet. But his progress in 2022 and his composure during finals has changed my opinion. Stephens seems like he'll be an absolute rock for us for the next decade+. To me he's the type of player that will contribute to us becoming premier's.

In the GF he bounced off Dangerfield like a bird hitting a window (tbf not due to any lack of effort on Dyl's part). Will need to be considerably stronger to play much time inside, but I hope you're right as I like his endeavor.
I feel like half our team bounced off the geelong players.
Wouldn't judge any player on that game, otherwise we would need to replace everyone (except fox)

I feel like half our team bounced off the geelong players.
Wouldn't judge any player on that game, otherwise we would need to replace everyone (except fox)
My god Fox was good. I have literally never seen such a case of 1 vs 22 ever in any game. I actually thought it was disrespectful of the coaches not to give him a vote for that game. Fair dinkum Geelong clearly had the better players on the day, but even Chris Scott had to be watching that first quarter thinking, "That Robbie Fox bloke is too good for our boys".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be in and out of the 22 for me

Far from cemented that’s for sure
I agree that he's not cemented, but I also think he's got the spot and its his to lose, so all he has to do now is just not go backwards and it will keep him in the team over the likes of Campbell and Warner Jr.

I agree that he's not cemented, but I also think he's got the spot and its his to lose, so all he has to do now is just not go backwards and it will keep him in the team over the likes of Campbell and Warner Jr.
There is a lot of concrete

Do you take one awful day Ted? or do you round up his average performances which i thought were okay.

At least we gave him a extended run at it.
Our mids surrendered. Their wingers were given silver plate service. Two of the most experienced guys in the comp. Dyl and Juzzy never stood a chance.
Go back to half time in the prelim and work forward from there.
Our heads fell off. Kid stuff.

Our mids surrendered. Their wingers were given silver plate service. Two of the most experienced guys in the comp. Dyl and Juzzy never stood a chance.
Go back to half time in the prelim and work forward from there.
Our heads fell off. Kid stuff.
It's interesting people can be so scathing about the grand final, without realising the mountain of work the boys put in to even get there.

To me, although the grand final is the most important game of the year, it turned out to only be a "big game" for one quarter - the first, when the game was up for grabs. No one gets pass marks for this portion of the game, except Fox. After quarter time, it basically became a dead rubber. 100k spectators or not, season decider or not, the result was decided, people stopped watching, and there's a release on the pressure valve.

To me the qualifying and prelim finals ended up being far bigger games. Up by only 2 goals at 3QT in a qualifying final on the road. Trying to withstand a resurgent opponent while the team around you is capitulating in the dying stages of a prelim final. That's real pressure. That's big game, must-win finals footy. Every moment can make a difference.

Stephens proved his merit in those games. He might've been one of 21 players to fail the "big game" test in one quarter of the grand final, but he was one of the small handful of Swans who can say he gave a good account of himself in BOTH finals that actually WERE big games.

Getting a fraction carried away.

Promising signs in the preseason, but would prefer to see him play two or three good games in a row before we decide he is a star.
He did play more than 2 or 3 good games in a row and who said he's a star ffs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back