Past #3 Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

At the risk of sounding cliche, I think the pre-season will be very important for Stephens. It's been well-noted how he has struggled to play with natural confidence when he is in as a depth player. I worry that he will again struggle to cement himself in the team when opportunities come throughout the season. His best bet may be getting in the team from the very start. Pre-season can sort of be a bit of a reset in terms of the pecking order. Last year's pre-season saw Wicks overtake Hayward, and Warner overtake Stephens himself. The same could happen for Stephens if he can put together a solid enough pre-season.

Who he overtakes I'm not sure. If all the rest of the mids also put in good showings, he may need to hope for an injury or two to a mid to get his opening.

At the risk of sounding cliche, I think the pre-season will be very important for Stephens. It's been well-noted how he has struggled to play with natural confidence when he is in as a depth player. I worry that he will again struggle to cement himself in the team when opportunities come throughout the season. His best bet may be getting in the team from the very start. Pre-season can sort of be a bit of a reset in terms of the pecking order. Last year's pre-season saw Wicks overtake Hayward, and Warner overtake Stephens himself. The same could happen for Stephens if he can put together a solid enough pre-season.

Who he overtakes I'm not sure. If all the rest of the mids also put in good showings, he may need to hope for an injury or two to a mid to get his opening.
Be very interested to see where and how he trains. Someone (sorry whoever) suggested he could play as the defensive mid in the setup. The problem I see is that it seems the club sees him as an outside and he sees himself as an inside. If true, that's not good.

Be very interested to see where and how he trains. Someone (sorry whoever) suggested he could play as the defensive mid in the setup. The problem I see is that it seems the club sees him as an outside and he sees himself as an inside. If true, that's not good.

Yeah he's in a tricky spot. As strange as it sounds, I'd almost say he needs to train in the outside role, as undesirable as it is and perhaps not suited to it he is. Because I don't see him getting any inside minutes next year, and whenever he is on the outside, he's looked lost and struggled to get involved. But the outside is where he's gonna have to make it or break it for the foreseeable future, and I really want him to make it. So as tough as it sounds, he just needs to get better at developing his outside game. I worry that yet another year of training and developing as an inside mid, then being used in an outside role at senior level will do his confidence in once and for all.

Obviously I hope he comes good and you’re right he does have some time.
it’s more the distance he has to go to become even just a regular.
I think his game against the Cats could have been the start of a run, but he got dropped. I'm not sure there's that much distance. He looked very promising in 2020, whereas Warner looked shockingly out of his depth in his couple of games. Amazing what an off season can do.

I think Stephens will end up being a solid first team player eventually.

I feel it took Hayward and Florent 3 years before they looked physically comfortable at AFL level. Where they were not easily pushed around at the contest. Stephens was probably always going to be a longer term prospect.

I think he will benefit from a run of games and a settled role in the team. In 2019 I thought he struggled initially but looked quite good by the end of the season.

Tearing it up in the pre season looking at the swans website. Looks like he took up the dietary advice offered earlier. Looking fierce.

Last edited:
Tearing it up in the pre season looking at the swans website. Looks like he took up the dietary advice offered earlier. Looking fierce.

Is it just me

Or does that post feel like a marketing campaign to pump his value

Is it just me

Or does that post feel like a marketing campaign to pump his value
Too early in the season for that and he has two years.
You may be right in one sense though. I reckon the club will be aware that there is concern in fanland that Dylan may not make it and are trying to build/maintain a connection.
They do that normally with new players or players we haven't seen much of e.g. a recent one on Barry O'Connor.
Pumping up the tires a bit.

I am more optimistic than most about Dylan. There are plenty of attributes to like.

Same here, he showed he can find the ball at junior and VFL level

Has speed away from congestion.

In his first season with us, showed he wasn't bad by foot and isn't afraid to go in and find the ball (was just outsized).

Honestly think he needed to build a little size and confidence, think he will be our big improved this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same here, he showed he can find the ball at junior and VFL level

Has speed away from congestion.

In his first season with us, showed he wasn't bad by foot and isn't afraid to go in and find the ball (was just outsized).

Honestly think he needed to build a little size and confidence, think he will be our big improved this season.

Needs to learn how to play on the outside at senior level or it won't matter how much size he puts on, he'll never keep his spot.

Think you are wrong C88. Showed great intent in 2020 with v high tackles for a rookie.

He will develop into a quality inside/outside player.

Think you are wrong C88. Showed great intent in 2020 with v high tackles for a rookie.

He will develop into a quality inside/outside player.

He showed promise in 2020 IMO it was a solid first season, but he will need to be significantly better if he wants to hold his spot this year. He's behind about at least 6 others for inside rotations, so whether he likes it or you like it or I like it or not, his pathway into the best 22 is on the wing. And last year he looked lost and didn't seem to have an understanding of that position. I gave him a pass because he was training and playing in the VFL as an inside mid, so I'm not surprised he was looking confused, but his situation will be pretty much the same this year: training and playing reserves in one role, and in the senior side in a different role. That's just the reality for Stephens and whether it's fair or not, he just has to grab the opportunity by the balls and not let it get the better of him.

Quite interesting that Horse has singled him out for mention at how impressive he has been pre season including his confidence. Trials to be had but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is top 22 from round 1 and stays there. Was ultra impressed when he was drafted. His confidence was lacking and it just seemed that once he built a foundation for that he would thrive. I now think 2022 will be takeoff for him. Excellent

Horse is saying that the pre season standouts are Stephens, Chad Warner and Heeney in midfield. Omg I pity the other teams then if that spin is true because you couldn't wish for a better outcome. Well Gulden too maybe. And Campbell. And a few others as well. Exciting times. lol

I reckon he might be about 6 back (maybe more if we are generous to his competitors) back but I also think we play about that many inside players.
It's unlikely we go through a season without at least a few of them missing a bit so I think he'll have a good extended run to really make a claim.

Parker
Mills
Kennedy
Florent
Rowbottom
Warner
Gulden
Stephens
Bell
Sheldrick

I reckon he might be about 6 back (maybe more if we are generous to his competitors) back but I also think we play about that many inside players.
It's unlikely we go through a season without at least a few of them missing a bit so I think he'll have a good extended run to really make a claim.

Parker
Mills
Kennedy
Florent
Rowbottom
Warner
Gulden
Stephens
Bell
Sheldrick
Be very interesting to see how Horse sees him fitting into the team. The guys on that list are not really interchangeable and there are four missing (though they may play predominantly other roles).
Midfield attendances.
Mainly Inside:
Kennedy
Mills
Parker
Inside/Outside:
Warner
Rowbottom
Outside:
Florent (wing)
Gulden (half forward)
Campbell (wing)
McInerney (half back)
Occasionally:
Heeney (forward)
Papley (forward)
I doubt we'll see Bell or Sheldrick in a midfield rotation, more likely in the forward line, if they play.
The problem for Stephens is getting ahead of those guys. No easy task and may need a fair bit to go his way.

Perhaps I'm just naive but I've always looked at preseason as a reset of sorts. Sure existing runs on board are important but so too are recognising those that step forward.....Papley did, Warner did as did Gulden if I recall. If Stephens has excelled and per Horse he has, if his body shape and strength are different and they are and he outperforms most in Sims (per Horses confidence statement) then he can jump many to be a starter. He has to excel in practice matches but I'm thinking he probably already is in the equation to be starter. Throw in the fact he was high pick with a trajectory now showing and it really ticks the box. If you identify someone as being a star of preseason then it's dangerous to ignore them.

Perhaps I'm just naive but I've always looked at preseason as a reset of sorts. Sure existing runs on board are important but so too are recognising those that step forward.....Papley did, Warner did as did Gulden if I recall. If Stephens has excelled and per Horse he has, if his body shape and strength are different and they are and he outperforms most in Sims (per Horses confidence statement) then he can jump many to be a starter. He has to excel in practice matches but I'm thinking he probably already is in the equation to be starter. Throw in the fact he was high pick with a trajectory now showing and it really ticks the box. If you identify someone as being a star of preseason then it's dangerous to ignore them.
You're not naive. It has to be that way. If his preseason training has demolished vast tracts of suburbia, he should get preseason game time - that's what it is for.
Then, if he plays well, he puts his hand up for round one selection. That's when it gets interesting.

Be very interesting to see how Horse sees him fitting into the team. The guys on that list are not really interchangeable and there are four missing (though they may play predominantly other roles).
Midfield attendances.
Mainly Inside:
Kennedy
Mills
Parker
Inside/Outside:
Warner
Rowbottom
Outside:
Florent (wing)
Gulden (half forward)
Campbell (wing)
McInerney (half back)
Occasionally:
Heeney (forward)
Papley (forward)
I doubt we'll see Bell or Sheldrick in a midfield rotation, more likely in the forward line, if they play.
The problem for Stephens is getting ahead of those guys. No easy task and may need a fair bit to go his way.
I was going for players who would be on the inside rotation and assuming that Heeney will play wing. Just simply because C88 was saying how far back he was as a player who would Pick up inside minutes. As I see it he's on the cusp, having a great pre season, and will get minutes on the inside this season when the normal amount of injuries happen. Unless they happen to him!!!

You're not naive. It has to be that way. If his preseason training has demolished vast tracts of suburbia, he should get preseason game time - that's what it is for.
Then, if he plays well, he puts his hand up for round one selection. That's when it gets interesting.
Exactly right. With strong competition for spots the preseason games will be vital.
Hopefully, the Match Committee will have plenty of headaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back