Prediction 3 players you are most excited about watching this season?

Remove this Banner Ad

What we're saying here though is have you seen a player come through that has had a lot of the raw natural talents of Gaz?
Cocky's the only one I've seen. & repeating an earlier post Danger in the legs. He is a freak!
& unless you saw Gaz come through as a youngster have you seen anyone more naturally talented?
Another Gaz story from a Gaz book Ive got (signed by Gaz jnr).
Didn't turn up for most of the preseason. Club couldn't contact him. No family and friends knew where he was.
Shows up out of the blue the day they were doing all the tests.
Won every single test except the long distance time trial which he was winning by a mile till he had enough and walked off.

fortunate enough to count senior as a good mate. This story - as told by him -

GAS gets annoyed at the narrative he didn’t train or was lazy. He trained - but often not with the squad for example. He would spend the summer according to him, pig hunting. Now for those that don’t comprehend this, Gazzas version of pIg hunting is on foot, with just a huge knife and dogs. It’s scary and physically demanding. So. This story - he hadn’t been to Training. Was the summer of 84/85. Tommy Hafey was coaching, and Gazza was dragged to a player camp at Anglesea. He promptly won EVERY race, lifting comp, kicking comp etc. you name it; he won it. He finished the day, told Tommy he’d be back When the balls came out. He was fit as a fiddle.

Wish I could of really seen him in that period. Technically I did but I can't really remember it and didn't know what was really going on but remember the crowd being really happy whenever he did anything.
Even at that time all the commentators were in agreement that he was the best player they'd seen in a very long time.
That is crazy! Really was only the start.
And yeah the bumps! 3 players came for him at one stage. Shoulders up and 2 360's and they were all on the ground.

I was at that game. He kicked 6 goals in the third quarter, and had Tommy Alvin hanging on to him and scraping him the whole
Time. Let that sink in. He kicked 6, in a quarter, with a Victorian representative defender tagging him. He was blistering. And it was a hot night in preseason. He was fit enough to burn off Tommy Alvin, mil Hanna and every other defender Carlton (who were premiers that’s year don’t forget) could throw at him.

(I know this is a digression on the thread but ... GAS is worthwhile).

Lucky enough to see a lot of games in the 84-89 period and the highlights don’t do him justice. Pulled down a speccy or two a game and the highlights only have a fraction. Mark Jackson hated being continually used as a stepladder.
Saw one of his breakout games in 84 at the ‘G against Norf - I think he picked 3 or 4 in a quarter but the highlight was a mark where he was flat on this back - ball cleared the pack and spreadeagled he thrust out a hand and it stuck). Saw another early where he kicked 5 from the wing then switched forward for another 4.
Was brutal in body hits - other than Ray Card and Byron Pickett the hardest bumper I’ve seen - pretty much ended Wayne Johnston’s career with a massive hip and shoulder at KP.

Not pretty much. He did. He gave him a completely fair hip and shoulder on the moorabool st side of the ground,half forward flank, and ruptured Johnston’s spleen.

fortunate enough to count senior as a good mate. This story - as told by him -

GAS gets annoyed at the narrative he didn’t train or was lazy. He trained - but often not with the squad for example. He would spend the summer according to him, pig hunting. Now for those that don’t comprehend this, Gazzas version of pIg hunting is on foot, with just a huge knife and dogs. It’s scary and physically demanding. So. This story - he hadn’t been to Training. Was the summer of 84/85. Tommy Hafey was coaching, and Gazza was dragged to a player camp at Anglesea. He promptly won EVERY race, lifting comp, kicking comp etc. you name it; he won it. He finished the day, told Tommy he’d be back When the balls came out. He was fit as a fiddle.
Cheers. Just a knife!!!..s**t.

3. Miers. Think he could elevate his game and even spend some time in the midfield. Has real class.
2. Esava. Very raw still but has genuine potential. Our best young forward prospect since Hawkins. Easily too.
1. Cocky. Please please let this work out. Most exciting talent Ive ever seen at our club. Ever. Its been such a waste.

Other players who dont quite make my top 3. Clark (obvious reasons see Miers), stewart (underated defender - assuming injuries dont get in the way he will be atleast as good as enright), Stevens.

appreciate the enthusiasm and most of the sentiment but Enright is in the discussion as type best of all time in his particular role. Stewart is a long way off that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

appreciate the enthusiasm and most of the sentiment but Enright is in the discussion as type best of all time in his particular role. Stewart is a long way off that
So will stewart be if he lasts another 5 years without getting injured. He will end up with at least 5 all australians. Admittedly playing the position that is easiest to win all australians. But enright played the same position so point is mute.

So will stewart be if he lasts another 5 years without getting injured. He will end up with at least 5 all australians. Admittedly playing the position that is easiest to win all australians. But enright played the same position so point is mute.
Sort of agree but would have to be longer than 5 years and would have to be performing at a top level right to thw very end.
Also Enright won 2 B+F's playing at halfback.
Stewart won't ever do that.
That's a great effort for a position everyone knows is the easiest to play, and I know the B+F is a bit dodgy but I reckon Enright really deserved them.

As compared to the bias of all players were better in the past because I saw them and the youth didnt.
There are many here that have had the privilege of seeing footballers all the way back to the early 60's. One of the good things about this forum is the wealth of knowledge and memories we can accumulate and rekindle.
Geelong has always had very special players. In every decade since the 60's (my lifetime) there have always been several players on our lists that have been just that- special.
It seems to be universally accepted that the 4 standouts include Ablett snr, Polly Farmer, Ablett jnr, & Matty Scarlett, arguably in that order... 80's, 60's, 2000's.
Unless our mental faculties are declining, and I'm sure we would be the first to be told here in no uncertain terms, it may be worth just accepting that, in this discussion, and totally not wanting to come across as superior, us mature aged supporters are fortunate to have a broader and deeper appreciation of our talent over the years.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back