Coach #34: Jamie Macmillan - delisted after 167 NM games/46 NM goals - returns as NMFC AFL Footy Ops boss (reporting to L.Kane)

Remove this Banner Ad

Really really hopes he learns to tackle over summer.
This contract extension is a bit perplexing tbh.

He was signed until 2019, with the current rebuild I don't think there was any reason what so ever to extend him to 2020. (Unless they wanted to front load that year into this year).

It's all well and good to do that, Jamie is a senior player and a leader, but 3 years is a long time in football, especially for a a fairly unordinary player (I.e around the 12th best or so at the club).

That will take him through to 29/30, the same age as Gibson and Swallow were turfed, he's certainly not had half the career of Spitta and Gibbo has fared better in B&F's as well, they were more than happy to turf him at the end of the contract.

Just reeks of repeating mistakes with long contracts to Swallow & Thomas all over again.

I don't think mid range, 26+ year old players should be on anything more than 2 years at a time, we shouldn't be afraid of FA or trading mid rangers 26+, it's good list management.
hopes he learns to tackle and defend over summer

One of the absolute certainties about Bigfooty. We have a positive feel good article about someone at the club and the negative types weigh in with their "glass half empty" takes.

Its a hot day today, why don't the "glass half empty" types instead go and take a long icy cold shower, get frostbite on the fingers and leave the interwebs alone.

Last edited:

One of the absolute certainties about Bigfooty. We have a positive feel good article about someone at the club andthe negative types weigh in with their "glass half empty" takes.

Its a hot day today, why don't the "glass half empty" types instead go and take a long icy cold shower, get frostbite on the fingers and leave the interwebs alone.

Not a glass half empty type at all Horace.

But we don't have to swallow everything at the club as rainbows and lollipops.

Contract management has been terrible by the powers at be in the last decade, giving a mid ranger 3 years at 26/27 years of age is worthy of debate.

The club isn't centerlink.

Contract management has been terrible by the powers at be in the last decade, giving a mid ranger 3 years at 26/27 years of age is worthy of debate.

You've obviously never dealt with Centrelink if you think they give out money easily.

Do you know what the definition of terrible list management is ?

Signing up JMac for 3 years.

And giving a real talent like Dec Mountford only one year.

One breakout season by Dec and we are a real chance of losing him next year.

Do you know what the definition of terrible list management is ?

Signing up JMac for 3 years.

And giving a real talent like Dec Mountford only one year.

One breakout season by Dec and we are a real chance of losing him next year.
How on earth would you know whether it was the club who offered 1 year or whether Dec asked for 1 year because he backed himself in to do better next year and drive up his price.

Not always so black and white as you'd choose to believe.

It's hard to assess whether or not it's a good deal for the club or not when you don't have all the details. E.g. many players will sign for less per year if they get a 3 year deal vs 2 which certainly helps us out re salary cap and attracting free agents. We landed Waite for this reason as Carlton would only offer a one year deal. One of the things that the club has done well over the years is hang on to players , often when they have been offered more money elsewhere but have stayed e.g.. Tarrant and Harvey. That helps us massively as you have to offer way overs to attract free agents. I'm well aware that offering a long term deal can lead to some players resting on their laurels but many don't need pressure to earn a new contract to get motivated.As part of the leadership group I think Jamie fits into this category. Personally, I'm happy Jamie has got a long term deal as he's a decent player, had leadership qualities and is a popular member of the playing group.

How on earth would you know whether it was the club who offered 1 year or whether Dec asked for 1 year because he backed himself in to do better next year and drive up his price.

Not always so black and white as you'd choose to believe.

How do you know he only wanted one year ?

Normally young players are looking for longer term contacts for security.

And if they exceed expectations, the club normally offers them a LT contract with a big $ increase anyway.

How do you know he only wanted one year ?

I don't but you don't know that he didn't, yet you made a sweeping statement indicating that the club was terrible at list management because Jmac got an extension and Dec only got 1 year.

It's a fact that players in the past have asked for shorter deals in the hopes of driving up their price and equally likely that Dec may have done this.

It was just an opportunity you took to take a cheap shot at Macmillan when we should be happy a player chose to stay with us and also used that time to take a swipe at the media which has been disrespecting us, bucking the trend of players keeping quiet and taking the barbs.

I don't but you don't know that he didn't, yet you made a sweeping statement indicating that the club was terrible at list management because Jmac got an extension and Dec only got 1 year.

It's a fact that players in the past have asked for shorter deals in the hopes of driving up their price and equally likely that Dec may have done this.

It was just an opportunity you took to take a cheap shot at Macmillan when we should be happy a player chose to stay with us and also used that time to take a swipe at the media which has been disrespecting us, bucking the trend of players keeping quiet and taking the barbs.

For a long time going into trade week, Dec was not offered a contract. And then he got one year !

If he has a breakout season, and the potential is there, Dec will be uncontracted and free to join the WA sides.

Great list management !

Meanwhile, a player like JMac, who at best might be worth a 3rd round pick, we feel is a priority and need to sign up for 3 years.

In my opinion, I would rather Dec got the extra year than JMac.

Just because I dont agree that everyone at NMFC is doing a wonderful job, doesnt mean I am not allowed to express my opinion.

For a long time going into trade week, Dec was not offered a contract. And then he got one year !

If he has a breakout season, and the potential is there, Dec will be uncontracted and free to join the WA sides.

Great list management !

Meanwhile, a player like JMac, who at best might be worth a 3rd round pick, we feel is a priority and need to sign up for 3 years.

In my opinion, I would rather Dec got the extra year than JMac.

Just because I dont agree that everyone at NMFC is doing a wonderful job, doesnt mean I am not allowed to express my opinion.
Dec was not offered a contract until into trade week because we were working out what we had available targeting players behind the scenes.

Dec as well as other out of contract players were aware this was going to happen, they were told about it well in advance and were comfortable with it.

Dec is surprisingly not being under paid. We have a minimum spend, and with all the veterans cut in two years theres a LOT of money we need to be spending. I'd go as far as to say (not actually knowing the figures) that we've probably got some of the best paid youngsters in the league because of this.

Waiting til we knew exactly what kind of funds were available meant we could offer the best possible contract for their interests as well as the clubs, as the maximum could be frontloaded into that one year with the promise of more to come if he keeps developing on the same path he has.

I repeat:

THE PLAYERS WERE AWARE THAT CONTRACTS WOULD NOT BE FINALISED TIL WELL INTO TRADE PERIOD AND THEY WERE COMFORTABLE WITH THIS.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec was not offered a contract until into trade week because we were working out what we had available targeting players behind the scenes.

Dec as well as other out of contract players were aware this was going to happen, they were told about it well in advance and were comfortable with it.

Dec is surprisingly not being under paid. We have a minimum spend, and with all the veterans cut in two years theres a LOT of money we need to be spending.

Waiting til we knew exactly what kind of funds were available meant we could offer the best possible contract for their interests as well as the clubs, as the maximum could be frontloaded into that one year with the promise of more to come if he keeps developing on the same path he has.

I repeat:

THE PLAYERS WERE AWARE THAT CONTRACTS WOULD NOT BE FINALISED TIL WELL INTO TRADE PERIOD AND THEY WERE COMFORTABLE WITH THIS.
Exactly. Communication channels were always open. It's not as though the players were stumbling around in the dark for months.

You've obviously never dealt with Centrelink if you think they give out money easily.

So true. I have to deal with them on a regular basis through my work. They are presently providing the worst possible service I've seen in 30 years of dealing with them.

One of my clients applied in August this year to get her Age Pension re-instated. Went through the proper process, got rejected because they recorded her investments incorrectly. Her daughter and I visited the Centrelink Office in Ringwood in late September. They couldn't sort it out and two days later I spent 73 minutes on the phone (quite a short time by their standards) to get it rectified. I was advised that they would write to her within a fortnight of that phone call to confirm her benefit was approved. The letter did not eventuate. I hand delivered another letter to Ringwood around 3 weeks ago asking why hadn't the matter been resolved. So far no response.

This client passed away Thursday week ago after surgery, which went okay, but suffered a heart attack and died shortly after, with her pension application still in some fantasy place.

The people at the local offices at Centrelink do their best, so do the people who work behind the scenes, but they are so grossly understaffed, that their job is nearly impossible to do properly.

I have no doubt that the current government has decided to cut staff numbers so as to make the task of obtaining benefits just too hard for some people, who simply just give up and walk away.

The crazy part is that on many occasions information given to Centrelink, if properly processed, will reduce the benefits paid, but the people in Government are not anywhere near smart enough to work that out.

Here is a link to an interesting article, which bears out what I am saying..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-08/centrelink-phone-line-engaged-55-million-calls/9130006

I feel that some posters are purely looking at JMac as a footballer and not his leadership and standing amongst the players.
I have it from a source close to JMac during his school days that he very much the mentor to the kids and an exceptional clubman.

He may not be in our best 22 come 2019-2020 but his role in the development of our youth can not be understated.

This contract extension is a bit perplexing tbh.

He was signed until 2019, with the current rebuild I don't think there was any reason what so ever to extend him to 2020. (Unless they wanted to front load that year into this year).

It's all well and good to do that, Jamie is a senior player and a leader, but 3 years is a long time in football, especially for a a fairly unordinary player (I.e around the 12th best or so at the club).

That will take him through to 29/30, the same age as Gibson and Swallow were turfed, he's certainly not had half the career of Spitta and Gibbo has fared better in B&F's as well, they were more than happy to turf him at the end of the contract.

Just reeks of repeating mistakes with long contracts to Swallow & Thomas all over again.

I don't think mid range, 26+ year old players should be on anything more than 2 years at a time, we shouldn't be afraid of FA or trading mid rangers 26+, it's good list management.
as stated earlier.....Swallow and Thomas leaving earlier meant that we needed to extend and front load contracts on a player like JMac....from what I can see he is an extrovert older player which is what the club needs at the moment. His personality within the walls if the club will hopefully bring out the beast in the younger crowd......thats why he was extended.

I feel that some posters are purely looking at JMac as a footballer and not his leadership and standing amongst the players.
I have it from a source close to JMac during his school days that he very much the mentor to the kids and an exceptional clubman.

He may not be in our best 22 come 2019-2020 but his role in the development of our youth can not be understated.
Bingo !!

So true. I have to deal with them on a regular basis through my work. They are presently providing the worst possible service I've seen in 30 years of dealing with them.

One of my clients applied in August this year to get her Age Pension re-instated. Went through the proper process, got rejected because they recorded her investments incorrectly. Her daughter and I visited the Centrelink Office in Ringwood in late September. They couldn't sort it out and two days later I spent 73 minutes on the phone (quite a short time by their standards) to get it rectified. I was advised that they would write to her within a fortnight of that phone call to confirm her benefit was approved. The letter did not eventuate. I hand delivered another letter to Ringwood around 3 weeks ago asking why hadn't the matter been resolved. So far no response.

This client passed away Thursday week ago after surgery, which went okay, but suffered a heart attack and died shortly after, with her pension application still in some fantasy place.

The people at the local offices at Centrelink do their best, so do the people who work behind the scenes, but they are so grossly understaffed, that their job is nearly impossible to do properly.

I have no doubt that the current government has decided to cut staff numbers so as to make the task of obtaining benefits just too hard for some people, who simply just give up and walk away.

The crazy part is that on many occasions information given to Centrelink, if properly processed, will reduce the benefits paid, but the people in Government are not anywhere near smart enough to work that out.

Here is a link to an interesting article, which bears out what I am saying..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-08/centrelink-phone-line-engaged-55-million-calls/9130006
Spending 2 1/4 hours on the phone just to reach someone made me want to kick something. Poor next door's cat fence.

"We'll might surprise you" by Jmac

R1 GC 154 - 21 NM
His season is over.

yes. it's surprising for me.

I got direct info about JMac being a leader and actually saw stoppage video at the club and subsequent real game examples where I focussed on JMac.

At the the time, North had many see ball get ball types or insiders in their junior days. And Bastinac who was a bit of a house brick would repeatedly be told by JMac where to stand as a non-inside player.

Funny how North improved when we got guys like NDS and Gibbo who played their role.

I got direct info about JMac being a leader and actually saw stoppage video at the club and subsequent real game examples where I focussed on JMac.

At the the time, North had many see ball get ball types or insiders in their junior days. And Bastinac who was a bit of a house brick would repeatedly be told by JMac where to stand as a non-inside player.
Back in the Bastinac days JMac was basically Basta's minder.

A fantastic bit of play by Bastinac could almost always be linked up with JMac telling him where to go and what to do.

Gets accused of pointing fingers but 95% of the time it's instructing the backline, not having a go at someone.

Jmac spent his whole time in rehab sitting in the coaches box on game day.
Club certainly rates him for his ability to lead on the ground whilst we are in this transitional phase.
Being popular helps and cluey of course is a must.
He's not a top 10 player at the club but the decisions a no brainer for mine

Jmac has improved as a footballer....but he needed to. Because most of his career can be summed up as someone who is good at giving teammates instructions and pointing. Backed up with poor usage of the footy and flimsy tackle attempts.

He is best 22 and so the contract extension isn't a big deal or a surprise.

Don't know about the criticism of the media. We had a s**t 2017.....maybe some of it is warranted. Why worry about it....you can't control what people write anyways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back