Autopsy 40 point win over Dockers - Round 19, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

And it’s not like the other team aren’t attempting to do exactly that too.

It’s a bit like warfare. You ask soldiers how do you feel about killing people, they’ll say not good, but they’re trying to kill me.

And their enemy will say exactly the same.

Well that was an interesting metaphor, wasn’t it.

Its not one you hear to often! found it interesting

Heeney has been traded and Blakey delisted. How were they so outstanding? Is BigFooty wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can i say how happy i am to see Blakey looks to have found a position he can contribute and ironic its in defence! small sample size tho!

We all knew Heeney can do this its just he doesn't back it up to often.

Who goes for Harry , mills and possibly Warner?
Harry and Mills 100%. Warner may need a run in 2s if they can arrange a game. Get his timing back as much as anything.
Both will improve our structure and are very clean handlers.
Thought Reid was good today for a guy who had been out for a long while. Better for the run. Saw Amartey chatting with the coaches. He sure wasn't sooking.
Reckon Ronke's done and dusted.
Best game from JPK since Richmond. Not just in the clinches.
Getting very close to our best 23.

Honestly we kicked 98 and just never played close to our best. The team has come a long way in the last 12 months

Huge i mean people are disappointed that top 4 might be out of reach!! to put it in perspective we are on 12 wins just 1 short of our combined total in 2019-2020.

Huge i mean people are disappointed that top 4 might be out of reach!! to put it in perspective we are on 12 wins just 1 short of our combined total in 2019-2020.
If we want top four we need to control whatt we can control…win the games then see what happens

We cant afford to lose again if we want to make top 4 and thats the best case scenario. The Hawks/Gold Coast stinkers will likely come back to bite us.

Hickey not being 100% and/or getting injured in the earlier Freo/GWS game were disappointments. But man our best can win us a premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blakey going from strength to strength.

Strange performance that, relatively easy win and I don’t think we ever really got going

I’d go further - I thought we were ordinary from the start to the end but they butchered more chances than we did.
Don’t think we can play like that against Essendon

We are gaining consistency and self belief now. Our chances of top 4 are critical to premiership. PA face WB in round 23 and are only 3% higher on % than us. We can catch them there We are level with B but they are 9% higher than us which will be hard to breach without B slipping. Keep winning. Keep improving %.

It's still probably 50 / 50 even if we do sadly. Need both Port and lions to drop some.

It's our own fault though. We had an easy draw and dropped games against poor teams.

I think Melbourne is catchable too. Assuming we win them all, we need one of Melbourne or Port to drop 2, and Brisbane to lose at least one. It's perfectly doable, but yeah, 50-50. Maybe 60-40 in our favour. All those teams have a tough game or two left.

Franklin (sus) -> McDonald
Ronke -> Cunningham, pushing Dawson up on a wing, one of Gulden and Heeney to stay more forwars
Rowbottom -> Mills, looks slightly off the pace, lowest TOG for the side
Very likely.
McDonald or McLean if Bud is gone.
The other two, yep.
Reckon they'll give Chad a game in the 2s unless someone is injured.

Fyfe going off was a huge turning point in the game i felt game would of been a lot closer had he not seemed to deflate the whole Fremantle side.
Papley had a mare i thought shanked some set shots and picked the wrong targets.
Heeney and Blakey were outstanding.
Papley went for goals that in previous weeks he has laid off and we kicked goals. He shanked most of the kicks and that kick around the corner from 30 was a drop punt every day of the week.

I agree about Fyfe. But our rotten goal kicking and lack of awareness at times when kicking forward kept them within a margin under three figures. We butchered the ball because we looked for Bud every time. It didn't help that Reid was basically non existent. I knew this would happen. Reid always takes 2-3 games to come good after a lay off. Return him to the Scratch matches next week and bring Amartey back. He was not great as second ruck and that is something Amartey will give us, a contest in the ruck which he has a 50/50 of winning. Reid at this stage won't do that.

Ronke looked lost with the pace of the game. He did get into it on several occasions but his lack of match practice games at this level were noticeable. After all I keep forgetting he has had the equivilant of a season out. Maybe not bring two players coming back from injury and in together. After all we don't have to.

Our mids were very good. Blakey again good. Gulden, Heens both very good. I thought we had the wrong match ups on their forwards in the first quarter. Rampe on D'Arcy & Meek was not good and McCartin on Taberner just wrong. When we fixed that up it worked for us.

I thought we just coasted in the last. Would have preferred we finished them off completely.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting game. First quarter and a half we were well off the pace. Freo were cutting us up significantly in transition and were dominating the clearances. Then in the second half of Q2 and the third we flat out dominated, everything we turned turned to gold (well other than Papley). Fourth quarter was largely a procession with the game iced.

Individually I think most players had good games. Heeney was amazing, Kennedy huge, Parker, Gulden, Blakey, Dawson, etc. all very good. Buddy definitely had his angry pills today, and it'll likely cost him 1-2 weeks. Papley was frustrating, could've been a very good game but wasn't. Probably the last time we see Ronke.

Anyway, how good's finals!

Heeney is brilliant, he is so far ahead of anyone else on our list talent-wise, which is less a knock on them and more a testament to how insanely gifted he is. An unbelievable amount of tricks to have up one's sleeve and a bag of tricks I am bloody glad we are paying to make OURS.

Despite this, he wasn't even our best on ground. I thought where the game really mattered - at the contest, which it always is against the stain-on-our-competition Dockers - JPK is the guy who turned the game. I am a big fan of composure in players, particularly mids, and this guy has had it in spades over the last month. Just dishing off the ball with class and moving through traffic, still glacially, but smoothly. You love to see it.

They were the only two stand-outs really, but since so many played their parts, I suppose they all deserve a mention - Hewett, Errol, Florent, Papley, Blakey, Parker, McCartin, Lloyd, Dawson and Hickey were also influential.

We are slowly starting to nail these "routine", "should-win" games, which is just as encouraging as the strong wins over the top sides. The culture at this club is e l i t e and it starts at the top with Horse. Bloody proud.

How much was he responsible (if any) for the huge amount of inside 50 tackles today? before i say he had no impact.

It is not going to cut it if he is just doing that. There are at least 3 others currently in the side that can and do it. Players who can't get the footy are no good to you. Once upon a time the permanent forward pocket type role was the hardest position on the ground to get a kick. Today with structures and zones and ball movement all players have to be finding the footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back