Player Watch #42 Robbie Fox - The Fantastic Mr Fox

Remove this Banner Ad

DAvciZcK.jpg

Robbie Fox

Player Profile

Capable of playing as a defender, shifting forward or pinch-hitting in the ruck, Robbie Fox is a versatile option for Sydney Swans coach John Longmire. The Tasmanian is also one of the best endurance runners at the club and can take a strong contested grab. Sydney rookie-listed Fox in November 2016 and he’s since fought hard to become a regular member of the Swans’ best 22. He played 11 senior matches in 2019. Draft history: 2017 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 34.

Robbie Fox

DOB: 16 April 1993
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Burnie Dockers (Tas)/Coburg Lions (VFL)

Last edited:
I genuinely think that this run of form could have been seen back in 2018 when he started the year in defence. He played a really strong preseason and played the first two rounds as a defender with solid if unspectacular results and then got dropped kinda needlessly and every time he played seniors from then on it was as a Mr Fix It all over the ground. If they'd settled him in defence at the time, I think he'd be well advanced from where he is now. He was ready then imo.

I think he has done a good job for a few weeks , if it keeps it going all season he would be hard to discard

but I just don’t see him long term being there when the chips are down as someone reliable
Reminds me a bit of XR having that little run in 2016

Sure, but I guess the same could be said about any player. Even our promising kids might for whatever reason fail to live up to that promise. Just about how hard you work to get the best out of yourself I guess

Sure, but I guess the same could be said about any player. Even our promising kids might for whatever reason fail to live up to that promise. Just about how hard you work to get the best out of yourself I guess

I’m not sold on a lot of our list

I think fox’s age doesn’t help, he is undersized and I think will be exposed by sides longer term, not especially good at anything

don’t get me wrong he isn’t Ryan Clarke I just think there are better players out there for the same price

I think fox’s age doesn’t help, he is undersized and I think will be exposed by sides longer term, not especially good at anything

don’t get me wrong he isn’t Ryan Clarke I just think there are better players out there for the same price

He is under-sized but he's playing half key defender/half flanker atm, kinda doing Mills' role. If we can get another defender in - Brand, Melican, Maibaum, Gould - that could free up Fox to play purely an attacking role, which could see him get more of the ball on a regular basis and he could go from 'oh who's that random bloke getting a bit of the ball' to one of the first names on the board every week.

I'd like to see him as that rebounding type in defence with Lloyd further up the ground.

Fox is 1cm taller than Leo Barry. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Leo Barry but at this rate he'll be the next Leo Barry*

*Not actually convinced on Fox but happy to play him at the moment

Fox is 1cm taller than Leo Barry. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Leo Barry but at this rate he'll be the next Leo Barry*

*Not actually convinced on Fox but happy to play him at the moment

I agree with your *
Leo yeah he was undersized too but he was quite strong

This guy has shown resilience & patience & is holding down his role beautifully.
It helps that he hasn't been moved from wing to ruck to defence to forward to tagging to reserves etc, etc.
Players need to first know they can cut it & I think he can but then they need to be allowed a fair opportunity to lock down a position.
He has smart defender written all over him & should now be left there. He will have some shockers but that is how he will improve. Rampe was the same early days & Lloyd's had shocking moments too but held their spot.
Robbie Fox certainly deserves his spot in the senior team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:( :(

A shame. Thought he was cementing himself as a reliable cog in the back six. At the very least good cover. Don't know why you'd be rookie-ing gray over fox. Has shown a lot more.

Pretty disappointed for Robbie especially as he seemed to make good progress this year.
Think this really rams home the cut-throat nature of the game at the highest level... need to make space and unpopular decisions need to be made 🙁
Thank you for your service Rob... best of luck in whatever you do

Disappointed. Coaches finally secure him where he always showed the most promise (in defence) and then let him go. I understand we have condensed list sizes and young players to prioritise but there's no way I'd have let Fox go. Excellent depth at bare minimum. We've got other players like Gould who I'm sure the club would want to see displace someone like Fox long-term, but would have thought he's worth maintaining at least for one more year.

Shocking call. Hope another club picks him up and shoves this right in our face.

Almost certain to be picked up. Another ex Swan to play Finals.

Just a shocking decision.

We don't know the reasons other than the reduction in list sizes. Perhaps there is another club out there that has promised to offer him a contract & will pick him up as a delisted free agent. We just don't know.

Bit confused as he seemed to be going down a good path in his development and was quite consistent with his efforts this year. If he was a few years younger maybe we would have given him another year? Regardless, competed very hard, often against opponents who were bigger and stronger than him.

What’s the shock he’s an ordinary footy player and close to 30 , won’t get any better. I wish him all the best. But he is average

I mean just a shame others duds like Clarke Reid and COR seem to remain on the list but making some progress at least chopping dead wood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back