Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

Remove this Banner Ad

I love hype as much as anyone, but..

some perspective here needed.

He has been playing WAFL for quite a few years where he averages just over 12 possessions. Not sure he ever polled in the top 10 in the Sandover or even made their Team of the Year.

Why is he suddenly going to dominate at AFL level?

BTW... come at me!!!
He’s averaged more than that last couple of years when he’s won bf s hasn’t he ?

He looked impressive tbh, l think he’s the type of player than can really hurt a team with half the possessions, let’s hope it’s not ours he’s hurting 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the carry on worries me for him more than anything.
Ridiculous expectations and I can just imagine the comments if they aren’t met.
Seen it all too much in here.

Rodney you told one of the great all time jokes once, it went something like this...

My wife met me at the front door the other day and she was wearing nothing other than frilly knickers, a sexy bra, suspender belt and stockings....sadly, she was just arriving home...!

I generally love your work, both on stage and here on the forum. But barring accidents, I think you are on the wrong track here. Our expectations of almost immediately decent AFL performance are quite reasonably derived from the following:

- we have a perfectly sensible non footballing reason as to why this guy has not been picked up before, ie his time in the cooler as a young man
- reports from Perth that he is really good and I think that is accepted as unanimous
- Hardwick - who is known for being open about his assessments of players - saying he is excited about Marlion
- we have seen footage of him looking very damaging int he WAFL
- he played a really nice game first up in the VFL last week, again displaying some of his customary damage with bruising tackles, incisive run and very good disposal
- he will be super fit and completely fresh at a time of the season other players can be waning a little
- will be playing for his life, so will be trying to follow instructions, and crucially has had time to study the teams patterns without being burdened by having to play each week
- clearly not the type to start crying if someone says boo to him
- reliably reported to be fitting in well at footy HQ, AKA The Swinburne with the boutique 100k seat stadium next door.

I think it is just as simple as it looks, he has all the tools, he is damage, has had an unusually beneficial preparation and should add value immediately. I think most of us are expecting something like the impact of Stack rather than say Dustin Martin 2017 revisited. I suppose there is some realistic chance he could get a bit lost with game plans etc early on but these sort of players who can win the ball in heavy traffic and break clear and deliver at speed and with precision often circumvent the need for gameplans. If it is an issue, you just do a Jack Graham with him and get him to follow the most dangerous midfielder for the opposition. Love to see him add to Clangerfield's nightmare finals record by keeping him company for an afternoon in September...

Rodney you told one of the great all time jokes once, it went something like this...

My wife met me at the front door the other day and she was wearing nothing other than frilly knickers, a sexy bra, suspender belt and stockings....sadly, she was just arriving home...!

I generally love your work, both on stage and here on the forum. But barring accidents, I think you are on the wrong track here. Our expectations of almost immediately decent AFL performance are quite reasonably derived from the following:

- we have a perfectly sensible non footballing reason as to why this guy has not been picked up before, ie his time in the cooler as a young man
- reports from Perth that he is really good and I think that is accepted as unanimous
- Hardwick - who is known for being open about his assessments of players - saying he is excited about Marlion
- we have seen footage of him looking very damaging int he WAFL
- he played a really nice game first up in the VFL last week, again displaying some of his customary damage with bruising tackles, incisive run and very good disposal
- he will be super fit and completely fresh at a time of the season other players can be waning a little
- will be playing for his life, so will be trying to follow instructions, and crucially has had time to study the teams patterns without being burdened by having to play each week
- clearly not the type to start crying if someone says boo to him
- reliably reported to be fitting in well at footy HQ, AKA The Swinburne with the boutique 100k seat stadium next door.

I think it is just as simple as it looks, he has all the tools, he is damage, has had an unusually beneficial preparation and should add value immediately. I think most of us are expecting something like the impact of Stack rather than say Dustin Martin 2017 revisited. I suppose there is some realistic chance he could get a bit lost with game plans etc early on but these sort of players who can win the ball in heavy traffic and break clear and deliver at speed and with precision often circumvent the need for gameplans. If it is an issue, you just do a Jack Graham with him and get him to follow the most dangerous midfielder for the opposition. Love to see him add to Clangerfield's nightmare finals record by keeping him company for an afternoon in September...
I don’t deny he could be pretty special mate just not straight away.

I love hype as much as anyone, but..

some perspective here needed.

He has been playing WAFL for quite a few years where he averages just over 12 possessions. Not sure he ever polled in the top 10 in the Sandover or even made their Team of the Year.

Why is he suddenly going to dominate at AFL level?
BTW... come at me!!!

I think you'd better check your stats mate. Don't just go off 12.5 disposals for his 2 games when he was injured in 2019. Cherry picking a bit. He averaged 21.8 in 2018,
He's played 98 games, 1773 disposals, 947 kicks, 826 handballs, 448 marks, 298 tackles, 136 hit outs, 37 goals
He averages over 18 disposals per game at WAFL senior level. B&F for Sth Freo in 2015 & 2018.

Give him some time

I suppose it's inevitable that when you become successful you will be poached. Let's just hope that our structure behind the scenes finds an adequate replacement. That won't be easy
Won't be easy but not impossable.
Hopefully just a bump in the road.

No matter how good a player is, no one's a star from day dot, but quality players can make you a better side instantaneously, which i have no doubt will happen with Pickett. Im expecting him to settle in and make us better the same way Stack, Prestia, Nankervis, Caddy, Lynch, Graham, Ross etc made us a better side the moment they took to the field.

Disagree that no one's a star from day dot.
Especially because he’s not a rookie.

Look at Maurice Rioli - was a star in Fremantle (same club as Pickett ironically) and a star from day 1 at Richmond.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disagree that no one's a star from day dot.
Especially because he’s not a rookie.

Look at Maurice Rioli - was a star in Fremantle (same club as Pickett ironically) and a star from day 1 at Richmond.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Riolis don't count.

s**t loads of players, and not just for the Tiges, get named in the squad a week or so before they debut.
It's the clubs way of saying get ready, you're up next.

[Just looked at the r21 2017 team, and Jack Graham was named emergency and debuted the following week]

Last edited:
I think you'd better check your stats mate. Don't just go off 12.5 disposals for his 2 games when he was injured in 2019. Cherry picking a bit. He averaged 21.8 in 2018,
He's played 98 games, 1773 disposals, 947 kicks, 826 handballs, 448 marks, 298 tackles, 136 hit outs, 37 goals
He averages over 18 disposals per game at WAFL senior level. B&F for Sth Freo in 2015 & 2018.

Give him some time
136 hitouts. We've just found our second ruck! You beauty!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back