VFL Past #54: Nick O'Brien - returning to play for Essendon VFL in 2017!

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted this in the autopsy thread but I want to expand on it so I'll put it here:

Played as an inside mid and was at the bulk of stoppages when he was on the ground. Had less contested disposals than Cale Hooker.

Was on the ground for only 80% of the game. The only players with less (besides the two vested players) were Chapman, Hocking and Howlett. Was consistently stationary when he needed to push to create an option.

Ran around all night seemingly not accountable for anyone, at one point I saw him telling Melksham to get on Deledio rather than doing it himself.

2 tackles.

1 mark.

2 inside 50's, 1 rebound 50.

Doesn't get the ball in close. Doesn't provide an option on the outside. Doesn't provide physical pressure. Doesn't have a tank. Doesn't have any defensive side to his game. He doesn't actually do anything.

He's done.

And what was Robert Shaw saying on SEN this morning?

"bal, bla, bla, Essendon came out of the blocks and were harder at the contest lead by Hocking, Heppell and young O'Brien."

I am very quickly coming to the view that football analysis is almost exclusively theoretical. The experts, and I suspect this extends to coaches, see only what they want to see whether it is good or bad.

And what was Robert Shaw saying on SEN this morning?

"bal, bla, bla, Essendon came out of the blocks and were harder at the contest lead by Hocking, Heppell and young O'Brien."

I am very quickly coming to the view that football analysis is almost exclusively theoretical. The experts, and I suspect this extends to coaches, see only what they want to see whether it is good or bad.
A lot of people form an opinion, then just wait to see things that affirm it.

For those that have seen him play VFL is this what he does at that level or is he just playing first option football at the higher level (totaly understandable with so few AFL games)?

less handballing, more blind hacking forward without consulting the stats. Someone's been drilling it into him to such an extent that he does it without thinking even when it's clearly the wrong option, and coupled with that he can't even execute them effectively most of the time

less handballing, more blind hacking forward without consulting the stats. Someone's been drilling it into him to such an extent that he does it without thinking even when it's clearly the wrong option, and coupled with that he can't even execute them effectively most of the time
And that's probably the reason he is getting selected - playing to instruction.

Posted this in the autopsy thread but I want to expand on it so I'll put it here:

Played as an inside mid and was at the bulk of stoppages when he was on the ground. Had less contested disposals than Cale Hooker.

Was on the ground for only 80% of the game. The only players with less (besides the two vested players) were Chapman, Hocking and Howlett. Was consistently stationary when he needed to push to create an option.

Ran around all night seemingly not accountable for anyone, at one point I saw him telling Melksham to get on Deledio rather than doing it himself.

2 tackles.

1 mark.

2 inside 50's, 1 rebound 50.

Doesn't get the ball in close. Doesn't provide an option on the outside. Doesn't provide physical pressure. Doesn't have a tank. Doesn't have any defensive side to his game. He doesn't actually do anything.

He's done.

O'Brien got a decent number of clearances (contested possessions)

He was a midfielder who accumulated 25 possessions so did his job.

Melksham was on Deledio all night so O'Brien was right to tell Melksham to get on his man.

6 clearances and 25 possessions is a decent night. Was one of our best players. Does get the ball in close hence his clearances in recent weeks. Is an inside mid. Is physical at the contest. Has a decent tank better than most of our other young mids. Given he situated on the defensive side of the contest and reads the ruck well his defensive approach at contests has resulted in our team being better at those contests since he has been inside mid in seniors. O'Brien has been doing a lot more than any of Bellchambers, Chapman, Winderlich, Ashby, Dempsey, Pears, Melksham, Edwards, J.Merrett, Browne, Ambrose, Kavanagh, Langford, Dalgliesh, Kommer, Aylett, McKenna and others have. His end of season form is one of few positives for the season.

O'Brien got a decent number of clearances (contested possessions)

He was a midfielder who accumulated 25 possessions so did his job.

Melksham was on Deledio all night so O'Brien was right to tell Melksham to get on his man.

6 clearances and 25 possessions is a decent night. Was one of our best players. Does get the ball in close hence his clearances in recent weeks. Is an inside mid. Is physical at the contest. Has a decent tank better than most of our other young mids. Given he situated on the defensive side of the contest and reads the ruck well his defensive approach at contests has resulted in our team being better at those contests since he has been inside mid in seniors. O'Brien has been doing a lot more than any of Bellchambers, Chapman, Winderlich, Ashby, Dempsey, Pears, Melksham, Edwards, J.Merrett, Browne, Ambrose, Kavanagh, Langford, Dalgliesh, Kommer, Aylett, McKenna and others have. His end of season form is one of few positives for the season.
If NOB's on the defensive side of the contest why isn't he laying more than 2 tackles? Interesting Chapman, who you listed as doing less than NOB, managed to lay 11. NOB can't lay a tackle and he can't apply physical pressure. He just gets shoved aside. And after 4 years on an AFL list, is not good enough.

NOB gets the ball, but he doesn't do anything with it. "He got 25 disposals so he did his job" is nonsense these days. Anyone can rack up touches floating between the arcs, which is what he does. How many of those disposals can you remember as being especially dangerous or effective?

And why are clearances suddenly being linked with contested possessions? They're not always one and the same.

Also saying he's outperformed Bellchambers, Winderlich, Ashby, Pears, Browne, Ambrose, Kavanagh, Langford, Dalgleish, Kommer, Aylett and McKenna is utter, utter rubbish. The bulk of them have either been injured for extended periods of time, haven't had a crack in the 1's, or are in their first couple of years. NOB is in his FOURTH year and has had an extended run in the same position. Highlighting the fact he's outperformed Kommer as some kind of definitive proof of quality is such a long bow to draw that not even the British would try it.

He's a nothing, useless player.

If NOB's on the defensive side of the contest why isn't he laying more than 2 tackles? Interesting Chapman, who you listed as doing less than NOB, managed to lay 11. NOB can't lay a tackle and he can't apply physical pressure. He just gets shoved aside. And after 4 years on an AFL list, is not good enough.

NOB gets the ball, but he doesn't do anything with it. "He got 25 disposals so he did his job" is nonsense these days. Anyone can rack up touches floating between the arcs, which is what he does. How many of those disposals can you remember as being especially dangerous or effective?

And why are clearances suddenly being linked with contested possessions? They're not always one and the same.

Also saying he's outperformed Bellchambers, Winderlich, Ashby, Pears, Browne, Ambrose, Kavanagh, Langford, Dalgleish, Kommer, Aylett and McKenna is utter, utter rubbish. The bulk of them have either been injured for extended periods of time, haven't had a crack in the 1's, or are in their first couple of years. NOB is in his FOURTH year and has had an extended run in the same position. Highlighting the fact he's outperformed Kommer as some kind of definitive proof of quality is such a long bow to draw that not even the British would try it.

He's a nothing, useless player.

O'Brien was busy getting the ball, chapman was busy chasing tail as he was 2nd to the contest due to age and slowing down. NOB doesn't float between the arcs - he's no flanker he is playing an inside mid role and that's where he is getting the football. Clearances are generally contested possessions given there's a pack of players around the ruck contest. If anyone can rack up 25 touches in afl then tell me why ashby, Dempsey, Melksham, Edwards, j.merrett, browne, kavanagh, Ambrose, Kommer, hocking and so on have all struggled to get disposals over 25 on a consistent basis despite playing midfield or between the arcs. NOB ain't fast, hasn't got great skills but he knows how to read the play and pick up possessions. I'm not a massive fan but pay credit where it is due and he has earnt kudos playing well in recent weeks.

Kommer is a complete dud - it's embarrassing he was given a contract extension.

O'Brien was busy getting the ball, chapman was busy chasing tail as he was 2nd to the contest due to age and slowing down. NOB doesn't float between the arcs - he's no flanker he is playing an inside mid role and that's where he is getting the football. Clearances are generally contested possessions given there's a pack of players around the ruck contest. If anyone can rack up 25 touches in afl then tell me why ashby, Dempsey, Melksham, Edwards, j.merrett, browne, kavanagh, Ambrose, Kommer, hocking and so on have all struggled to get disposals over 25 on a consistent basis despite playing midfield or between the arcs. NOB ain't fast, hasn't got great skills but he knows how to read the play and pick up possessions. I'm not a massive fan but pay credit where it is due and he has earnt kudos playing well in recent weeks.

Kommer is a complete dud - it's embarrassing he was given a contract extension.
I don't care about Ashby, Dempsey, Melksham , Edwards, Jerrett, Browne, Kavanagh, Ambrose, Kommer or Hocking in a discussion about Nick O'Brien.

And if he doesn't "float between the arcs" explain how, from 25 disposals, he only had 2 inside 50's and 1 rebound 50 from 15 uncontested disposals. What exactly is he doing with the ball then?

I don't care about Ashby, Dempsey, Melksham , Edwards, Jerrett, Browne, Kavanagh, Ambrose, Kommer or Hocking in a discussion about Nick O'Brien.

And if he doesn't "float between the arcs" explain how, from 25 disposals, he only had 2 inside 50's and 1 rebound 50 from 15 uncontested disposals. What exactly is he doing with the ball then?

Playing in midfield getting clearances. He wasn't a defender so no surprise to not see him rebounding from defence and being an inside player he was passing it to a teammate with superior kicking skills to provide the inside 50m kick. I'd say he was playing within his limitations which is the smart thing to do. Will he ever be an a grade midfielder? Definitely not but he has been a workhorse in recent weeks - the same can't be said many of other names I mentioned (hocking excluded).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tries but he's a genuine s**t truck. Destitute man's Priddis without the defensive pressure, talent or creativity.

Without the defensive pressure of Priddis? Really? Talent and creativity sure fair enough but Priddis does not and has not ever supplied a good amount of defensive pressure. He's far too slow for that.

I reckon Nick has a bit to offer. His kicking is quite reasonable and with a big frame, good endurance and great ball winning ability - he's worth hanging onto and seeing if he can tidy up the other parts of his game. At least worth a year I reckon.

Without the defensive pressure of Priddis? Really? Talent and creativity sure fair enough but Priddis does not and has not ever supplied a good amount of defensive pressure. He's far too slow for that.

I reckon Nick has a bit to offer. His kicking is quite reasonable and with a big frame, good endurance and great ball winning ability - he's worth hanging onto and seeing if he can tidy up the other parts of his game. At least worth a year I reckon.
Outside of 2006 (where he played 2 games) Priddis has averaged over 5 tackles every year.

Outside of 2006 (where he played 2 games) Priddis has averaged over 5 tackles every year.

From my point of view - its very easy for those really inside players to get lots of mostly meaningless tackle stats around clearances. Out in open space though he would struggle to run down Sandilands. I'm not arguing that Priddis isn't a vastly better player - i just don't believe defensive pressure is one area that he's any better in.

Also I'd say Priddis offers a touch more offensively than old mate NOB.
That wasn't the point.
Holy s**t. 5 tackles every year?
Yep. Lowest 5.3, highest 7.7 (2011), career average of 6.5
From my point of view - its very easy for those really inside players to get lots of mostly meaningless tackle stats around clearances. Out in open space though he would struggle to run down Sandilands. I'm not arguing that Priddis isn't a vastly better player - i just don't believe defensive pressure is one area that he's any better in.
He's good defensively. IMO tackling at the coal face is more important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back