Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Astute call, HOF. Hoping the selectors are of a similarly flexible mindset. Obviously, it's all about finding the right formula, but the current Midfield depth in particular means we might see a bit of a (for want of a better term) non-traditional set-up across the lines. Trying to find the right balance in accommodating the Midfield(-type) depth without ****ing with the (mostly-proven) structure too much. Again, hoping the selectors are all over this during the pre-season.

It also makes you ponder what effect (if any) that it has on our JLT endeavours. Certainly from a supporter's perspective - well, for me anyway - it adds an element of intrigue factor that the JLT hasn't usually held for me in recent pre-seasons. I normally see it as kind of meaningless in the greater scheme, but this time around I'm interested to see how Brad and the coaching staff go about it. Will Brad, as he has often done in the past, keep his cards close to his chest, or will we (try to) come out guns blazing? In terms of selection, what approach will be taken with LDU (wrt the new additions to the Midfield)?

(EDIT - Disclaimer: A man starved of football will do anything to attempt to inject a little interest into that JLT garbage.)
I do enjoy the praccys, hell I like watching the boys train so it's a couple of steps up from that.

I'd have to say though, this year's are even more interesting. There's legitimately 30 players who have a good case for rd 1.

It's goibg to be fascinating to see how it shakes out.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Astute call, HOF. Hoping the selectors are of a similarly flexible mindset. Obviously, it's all about finding the right formula, but the current Midfield depth in particular means we might see a bit of a (for want of a better term) non-traditional set-up across the lines. Trying to find the right balance in accommodating the Midfield(-type) depth without ****ing with the (mostly-proven) structure too much. Again, hoping the selectors are all over this during the pre-season.

It also makes you ponder what effect (if any) that it has on our JLT endeavours. Certainly from a supporter's perspective - well, for me anyway - it adds an element of intrigue factor that the JLT hasn't usually held for me in recent pre-seasons. I normally see it as kind of meaningless in the greater scheme, but this time around I'm interested to see how Brad and the coaching staff go about it. Will Brad, as he has often done in the past, keep his cards close to his chest, or will we (try to) come out guns blazing? In terms of selection, what approach will be taken with LDU (wrt the new additions to the Midfield)?

(EDIT - Disclaimer: A man starved of football will do anything to attempt to inject a little interest into that JLT garbage.)

This is my main interest for the pre-season, how players are going to be utilised. We historically have just rotated every player through the games to give them X amount of game time, I am hoping that due to the number of changes we have made that we look to bed down our best 22 and those in contention for best 22 and give them more games/time on ground and guys that are obviously way off not played through the JLT so we prepared more heavily for round 1 than we have done in the past.

I'd say our best starting midfield at this point in time will be
C: Polec Jacobs Hall
R: Goldstein Cunninton Higgins

I think the next in order of importance/seniority are: Tyson, Anderson, Dumont and Ahern.

We then have players who I am not sure how their roles will change this year in McDonald and Simpkin, you would think they would only get a lot of midfield time if we are hit hard with injuries.

I think LDU will fall into the same group as Scott, Thomas and Walker and I think they will get rotated through for games but a lot is going to hinge on how we go with injuries. If our best 18 remain injury free I think our bench is already filled with first choice midfielders as well and we also have large question marks about the makeup of our forward and backlines.

It will be good to see which players push aggressively for positions over the coming months.

This is my main interest for the pre-season, how players are going to be utilised. We historically have just rotated every player through the games to give them X amount of game time, I am hoping that due to the number of changes we have made that we look to bed down our best 22 and those in contention for best 22 and give them more games/time on ground and guys that are obviously way off not played through the JLT so we prepared more heavily for round 1 than we have done in the past.

I think the next in order of importance/seniority are: Tyson, Anderson, Dumont and Ahern.

We then have players who I am not sure how their roles will change this year in McDonald and Simpkin, you would think they would only get a lot of midfield time if we are hit hard with injuries.

I think LDU will fall into the same group as Scott, Thomas and Walker and I think they will get rotated through for games but a lot is going to hinge on how we go with injuries. If our best 18 remain injury free I think our bench is already filled with first choice midfielders as well and we also have large question marks about the makeup of our forward and backlines.

It will be good to see which players push aggressively for positions over the coming months.
That center line... :oops:

I'd be happy to see Hall and Higgins rotate while on field in that setup to keep the opposition guessing too.

Not that it makes a difference, but I prefer

C: Polec Higgins Hall
Foll: Goldstein Jacobs Cunnington

Pace & class across the centre line, grunt & accountability in the on-ball division.
All of those guys are interchangeable.
It was more of an observation as to what we’ve added into the side from last year. The on ball division has had a massive overhaul.;)

That center line... :oops:

Well, it depends on who Jacobs is tagging, but it is usually someone in the middle. Polec and Hall are going to be better options on the wings than what we have fielded for a long time. Last year we started with a center line of Hartung/Jacobs/Clarke and whilst Billy was better than a lot of people expected, the club didn't want either at the club this year.

Such a natural player. Going to be a delight to see him develop over the next few years. Seems like an affable young guy from the little interaction I've had and from a lovely family. While I think he's a couple of years of development away from being a beast inside I still wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a valuable contributor to the 22 sooner rather than later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck Lukie!

Beautiful.

We clearly see him as a contested ball winning mid and who better to learn from than the contested ball winning record holder? That LDU has breakaway attributes doesn't detract from the valuable learnings that Cunners can provide, if anything it enhances his overall game.

Would have thought Kyron and Jed would have been more suited.

LDU’s role will be to win his own ball. Cunners is a beast who wins his own ball. Jed has more of a battering ram style (geez I love him) and Kyron needs to focus on getting his body right.

If it was me and I wanted to learn how to play inside, Cunners would be my first go to.

Beautiful.

We clearly see him as a contested ball winning mid and who better to learn from than the contested ball winning record holder? That LDU has breakaway attributes doesn't detract from the valuable learnings that Cunners can provide, if anything it enhances his overall game.

SNAP!

Theres gonna be some weird wax on, wax off type training out in the water. Probably getting Lukey to catch fish with his bare hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back