Adam Goodes declines Hall of Fame invitation

Remove this Banner Ad

Respect his wishes and leave him out of it? Isn't that the whole point?
Is that specific to the HOF or in general? What happens if this sets a precedent and indigenous players start rejecting HOF invitations?

If it's the latter then nothing will ever be resolved. Not that too much onus should be placed on the AFL for what individuals may say or the 'booing' if people wanna lump that into the racism category too.

What happens if this sets a precedent and indigenous players start rejecting HOF invitations?
What? You’re afraid this will give other Aboriginal players ideas?

Can’t have them gettin’ all uppity, eh mate?

What were you alluding to if not that?
Disappointment as AFL fan in general if players through free will or moral obligation decide to reject one of the highest honours a player can receive.

Eddie Betts the best small forward in our game will inevitably receive his HOF invite one day. Should he choose to reject it (which he can do if he wants) wouldn't you as a miserable carlton supporter having nothing to cheer for because everything about your club stinks.....be disappointed or and saddened?

Disappointment as AFL fan in general if players through free will or moral obligation decide to reject one of the highest honours a player can receive.

Eddie Betts the best small forward in our game will inevitably receive his HOF invite one day. Should he choose to reject it (which he can do if he wants) wouldn't you as a miserable carlton supporter having nothing to cheer for because everything about your club stinks.....be disappointed or and saddened?
Maybe that's the point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course he can. I wonder, though, what would Goodes like the AFL to do?

If it's simply a case of needing more time, that's fair enough.
My guess isn’t that he doesn’t want the AFL to do anything. He’s moved on and, at this stage of his life, has no interest in anything to do with the AFL.

Maybe that will change in time. Maybe it won’t.

Yeah, and one day he might change his mind. The AFL can just wait until if or when he does.

And I have been a bit short and grumpy earlier in this thread, it's just irritating and disappointing that there is this view that anyone owes the AFL their name to use in the HoF, and they are being nasty or "holding the AFL to ransom" if they don't.

He has every right to decline the invitation, nobody can deny that. He is not obligated in any way, shape or form to accept. I just feel it may be disappointing for Goodes fans that he's taken this stance. I'm sure they'd love to see Goodes in the Hall of Fame. Anyway, I accept his decision.
It is disappointing, but I think I can speak for most Swans fans in saying our disappointment lies with the AFL for allowing Goodes to be in such a position that he would rather not accept the nomination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back