Analysis Adelaide Crows - Slowest team in the competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was it Luke Brown that was outpacing Tippa? He's got some wheels.

There are a few slowish teams. You don't have to be express to have success. It's more about workrate and pressure.

Was it Luke Brown that was outpacing Tippa? He's got some wheels.

There are a few slowish teams. You don't have to be express to have success. It's more about workrate and pressure.
and kicking skills.
The ball moves quicker in the air than it does by running with it.

We have plenty of quick players... but they are all in the SANFL

We have plenty of non-workman like players to choose from. Five of our recent first round picks didn't play tonight. They are all in the SANFL.

We could replace Tex and others with players who aren't cooked. But we'd rather keep them in... you guessed it... the SANFL.

See the theme here?

We choose to be slow and workman like. Our list management identifies this as a flaw and fixes it at the draft. But then we deliberately ignore their expertise and revert to failed players over and over again

We have plenty of quick players... but they are all in the SANFL

We have plenty of non-workman like players to choose from. Five of our recent first round picks didn't play tonight. They are all in the SANFL.

We could replace Tex and others with players who aren't cooked. But we'd rather keep them in... you guessed it... the SANFL.

See the theme here?

We choose to be slow and workman like. Our list management identifies this as a flaw and fixes it at the draft. But then we deliberately ignore their expertise and revert to failed players over and over again

I'd agree, I don't know why you aren't playing Gallucci, Stengle, McHenry, Fogarty and Jones at every opportunity. Your forward line is cooked.

I don't think I've ever seen a team get so comprehensively outrun by another.

Is Wayne Milera the only pacey player left in this team? It feels like they lost just about every single contest that involved sprinting.

Adelaide obviously boast a very robust midfield unit with Sloane, the Crouch brothers and Greenwood, but what good is it when players like Shiel and Merrett can skip away from them so easily? Why hasn't the Adelaide list management brought more pace into the side?

Was like watching a replay of second and third quarters of our game last week.

Is it that or is it that they need a better recruiter?

Swans and Cats have a very good record over a prolonged period of time without bottoming out.

Young Reid will certainly come under the microscope but the question remains does he act under instruction from those above.
Having a grandstand named after you is no guarantee of quality understanding, awareness and leadership ...

Young Reid will certainly come under the microscope but the question remains does he act under instruction from those above.
Having a grandstand named after you is no guarantee of quality understanding, awareness and leadership ...
He can bring in what he likes but Pyke is clearly playing for the now and going all in.

Kids dont help him keep his job.

I don't think drafting has been their problem, it's been all the AAs and pretty obvious future guns that have left compared to what has come back in the trade period. Dangerfield, Davis, Gunston, Tippett, Lever, Cameron. What has the 'come home' factor netted them over the years? Thompson, Jacobs and a couple of misfires?

The trouble with the 'just trade a Crouch' mentality is that it's a Supercoach way of looking at things. Players aren't robots. How does Brad respond when Matt (who busts his arse every week for the club, more than a lot of others can say) is cast off to 'shake things up'? How do other senior players respond when their close friend of the past 5-6 years is made the scapegoat for the past two seasons? What do players from other clubs who share a manager with Crouch make of Adelaide as a potential destination when they're out of contract? It's a very delicate balance and probably something that us on the outside can never really hope to understand.

I really think Adelaide's rejuvenation has to come organically: as more senior players (Betts, Walker, Jacobs, Gibbs if they can convince him) depart, just focus on nailing the draft picks (trying to focus on SA kids when players of similar quality are available), bring in some solid players to add to the core where possible, without breaking the bank for anyone.

Feels to me like a few tweaks are needed, not the scorched earth plan.

Too many similar types in the Crows midfield. Would definitely be trading one of the Crouch’s. Playing the Suns twice already whilst some haven’t had the luxury of playing them once yet has given them a false ladder position

Last edited:
Crows doubled the Bombers in stoppages.

Their lazy forwards don't defend though and they only star against junk opposition... Jenkins, Walker, Betts for example. Lynch was underdone, Murphy as a defensive fwd had 1 tackle.

Bombers scored basically all their score from rebound 50s.

Pretty simple.

The hawks first flag sure. The 3 peat was built on trading (with lesser picks) and free agency. Aka the non bottom out method.
LOL

Nothing to do with Hodge Franklin Roughy and other high selections....

You conveniently missed Bartel and others.... They are the foundation of your success. Don't kid yourself.

You have benefited more than anyone from father son, now you add one of the best players in the game in FA from this very team and amazing, you are successful....

Dogs and Tigers had huge benefits from high picks too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are the unfittest right now. Apart from beating up on a rubbish GC side they’ve scored 7 goals and conceded 26 goals in second halfs in the last 3 games against Geelong, Port and now Essendon
To Wooshas credit I think he felt that was how Essendon could beat them.

I found it interesting that Merrit only played about 65% game time in the first half but seemed to be on the ground for pretty much all of the second half. Only reason I noticed was because I'd just got Merret in Supercoach and was cursing Woosha.

Turned out to be a match winning move as Essendon midfield led by Merret, and despite having a stand in ruck, ran over the top of them in the last after Adelaide midfield had dominated the first half.

I'd agree, I don't know why you aren't playing Gallucci, Stengle, McHenry, Fogarty and Jones at every opportunity. Your forward line is cooked.

Seems that Pyke is selecting teams to save his job, relying on same old names. Think they’ll miss the eight, unless they try something different. Sometimes influx of young guys can freshen things up. Just take a risk otherwise Blues a big chance next week and I think the Dogs will be too quick last round.

LOL

Nothing to do with Hodge Franklin Roughy and other high selections....

You conveniently missed Bartel and others.... They are the foundation of your success. Don't kid yourself.

You have benefited more than anyone from father son, now you add one of the best players in the game in FA from this very team and amazing, you are successful....

Dogs and Tigers had huge benefits from high picks too

Bartel and Co were precisely my point, they were my list of players who we acquired not bottoming out to be successful, who had more impact that 2/3 players you’re fixated on. We haven’t benefited from high picks, we’ve barely had any.

Check your facts. We didn’t take a player from Adelaide via FA.

I suggest you check out now, you’re all over the shop.

I haven’t taken much interest in Crow’s game this year but tonight’s stats tell a bit of a story.

The killed us in stoppages numbers..hit outs, centrebounce clearances and ball ups around the ground.

Crows also 35 more marks, 30 more licks. They like to hold the ball and short pass it to around to maintain possession. But their kicking did lead to a lot Essendon interceptions in key moments.

We just out tackled them, generally worked harder and had 15 to crows 5 bounces.

Their backline is pretty ordinary.

They would kick it around short for awhile and then bomb it long. We killed them on the rebound.

Check your facts. We didn’t take a player from Adelaide via FA.
Yeah cause Dangerfields FA was no reason for his movement.... You are delirious.

who we acquired not bottoming out to be successful,
They were high picks. Adelaide never had had access to high picks. Check their history, they've hardly had any under 10.

If your countless father sons were taken where they belonged you wouldn't have them either.

Yeah cause Dangerfields FA was no reason for his movement.... You are delirious.

They were high picks. Adelaide never had had access to high picks. Check their history, they've hardly had any under 10.

If your countless father sons were taken where they belonged you wouldn't have them either.
Beside the point. He was traded for.

Regret raising it now, had no idea I’d be talking to someone so deluded. We’re pretty much the last club in the comp you could blame success on high picks... yet here you are.

Beside the point. He was traded for.

Regret raising it now, had no idea I’d be talking to someone so deluded. We’re pretty much the last club in the comp you could blame success on high picks... yet here you are.
Wow, talk about living in denial.

Crows have not had a top 10 draft pick since you got on your run, the two highest were duds at 7 and 8 many years before.

You took their absolute best draft pick BECAUSE HE WAS A FREE AGENT.

You haven't had any success since the concessions/high picks you have had retired or got old.... funny that.... Scarlett, Hawkins, Ablett, Bartel etc etc nor has Hawthorn.... amazing hey?

You are the FIRST club to have benefited most from draft concessions, pretty sure Gibbs would have been a useful pickup..... 10 years ago as a free pick....

If you can't acknowledge you have benefited from such picks you are an absolute joke.

Wow, talk about living in denial.

Crows have not had a top 10 draft pick since you got on your run, the two highest were duds at 7 and 8 many years before.

You took their absolute best draft pick BECAUSE HE WAS A FREE AGENT.

You haven't had any success since the concessions/high picks you have had retired or got old.... funny that.... Scarlett, Hawkins, Ablett, Bartel etc etc nor has Hawthorn.... amazing hey?

You are the FIRST club to have benefited most from draft concessions, pretty sure Gibbs would have been a useful pickup..... 10 years ago as a free pick....

If you can't acknowledge you have benefited from such picks you are an absolute joke.
You prove my point. Thanks for playing.
They’ve managed to get to a GF without high picks.

Just like the two clubs I mentioned right at the beginning have managed prolonged success without many top picks.

This conversation has now ended.
Enjoy your weekend

This conversation has now ended.
Enjoy your weekend
School Holidays clearly haven't....

Geelong fan denying they have had benefits LMAO

Adelaide have been ****ed over as much as anyone with draft picks/player retention.

School Holidays clearly haven't....

Geelong fan denying they have had benefits LMAO

Adelaide have been f’ed over as much as anyone with draft picks/player retention.
So their issue isn’t being mid table. Got it.

Need to retain players. Got it.

I’ll refrain from return firing with an ad hominem

So their issue isn’t being mid table. Got it.

Need to retain players. Got it.

I’ll refrain from return firing with an ad hominem
Yeah nice selective argument.... cause you haven't benefited at all (including at their expense) with draft picks, father son and free agency....

Just putting it out there both Eberts weren't father son eligibile for Port, think about that for a moment.... Ebert is more Port than Ablett is Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back